Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info about family heirloom revolver?

Info about family heirloom revolver?

I’m visiting with family in NC, and my aunt showed me a revolver that my cousin thinks belonged to my grandfather, and spent most of its life in a safe in his company office, and eventually came home with my uncle when the company relocated to North Carolina. It shows definite wear, but from what I could see of the bore it appears very little firing. I know very little about older revolvers, but do know a place with people who know a lot…any info would be appreciated!

Name:  4C206B4C-7813-4BF1-96E6-75F168238B88.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  103.4 KB
    Name:  24343C06-5D2D-413D-9583-82696E8ACB69.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  103.0 KB
    Name:  50C8A2DF-5BDF-484B-841A-13944F4C18DC.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  66.6 KB
    Name:  43D86DE7-3689-489F-96C4-2FC930A322A4.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  41.5 KB
    Name:  2AF1718F-AF27-4D76-BDA4-ABFBC6B102C4.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  42.2 KB
    Name:  EE03A215-4137-40BD-9A51-07CA0374295E.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  33.5 KB

Looks like a Regulation Police. They were I frame revolvers available in 32 S&W Long and 38 S&W. They are dimensionally similar to J frames but can not take 35 Special pressures. If you stick to standard pressure 32 S&W Long ammo they run like a top. I have never seen one that would not shoot lights out with 32 target wadcutters.

Edit: 38 special pressures

Nice old Family Heirloom!

my only input... do not store it in the leather holster. It could eat up the finish over time. Find something that wont absorb moisture to store it in.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Nice old Family Heirloom!

my only input... do not store it in the leather holster. It could eat up the finish over time. Find something that wont absorb moisture to store it in.
    Appreciate it, and completely agree. I just learned of it last night, but will make sure that’s fixed. It also may come home with me—my uncle is going into hospice, and the family agreed I would be the best steward of this piece of family history, but by the time they brought it out, my uncle had already turned in for the night.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    You will get all of the details on that gun if you go to the Blue Forum. They have serious collectors there.

My only thought is that, with the button-head ejection rod, it probably dates from before the mid-1920s.

Stephanie’s pre-1920 post helped my search, and it looks like a 1905 Military&Police model.
    https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/p...on-pr9027.html

That model did not have S&W’s logo on the right hand side:
    Name:  B13BF145-608E-49DA-A38D-49BAA5B7ABF1.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  26.1 KB

I've got a similar gun - 32 Hand Ejector.

A lot of fun to shoot, actually...

http://instagram.com/p/CTDTeOAr4et/

I learned tonight that it will be coming home with me. Any tips on cleaning up some of the pitting? Anything else I need to look at that could lead to issues down the road? I plan to shoot it; not a lot, but some.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    I learned tonight that it will be coming home with me. Any tips on cleaning up some of the pitting? Anything else I need to look at that could lead to issues down the road? I plan to shoot it; not a lot, but some.
    Unfortunately, you can’t clean up actual pitting because pits are where corrosion (rust) has eaten away metal. You can clean, protect, and preserve it, though:
    Clean - lightly apply and buff (by hand, with a cotton cloth) Flitz metal polish. Will remove rust. Powered buffing will ruin all patina, finish, and value, so just don’t.
    Protect and preserve: oil where it needs lube. You can apply a wax to the finish, or oil it, but realize that oil will evaporate over time, so it will need more frequent attention than with wax. Don’t wax the internals.

User Tag List