Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Co-Witnessing a Ruger MKIV 22lr for Red Dot Training

Co-Witnessing a Ruger MKIV 22lr for Red Dot Training

I'm using my Ruger MKIV Target with an MRDS to get in some live fire practice during the centerfire ammo draught.
    I had a Holosun HE507C-GR X2 on a Maddmacs low profile center base (http://maddmacsprecisiontactical.com/) as the starting point. The Ruger factory sights weren't tall enough to balance the dot on the front sight, so I searched the web for replacements. Ruger had a taller set of night sights, but I didn't need the tritium capability. Looking further, I found Kensights (https://stores.kensight.com/), a company in Georgia, with several choices for taller sight for the Rugers.
    I bought the black target set (front & rear) after chatting with their customer service about my needs (GREAT customer service, BTW). When they arrived, they were easy to mount in place of the factory sights, and allow me to balance the dot on the front sight just like my G45/RM06 with suppressor sights.
    It would work as well, or better, with an RMR on the same Madmaccs base.

Last edited by Bruce in WV; 05-29-2021 at 03:22 PM.

Site Supporter
    Good job, that worked out well! When I first read the thread title, before clicking in and reading I thought to myself "he's never going to find something that works right."
    Adam

Nice to know those exist. I also use and really like the Maddmacs center mount on my 22/45.

One note from reading your OP: if you are consciously lining up the dot with your front sight, or even if you are aware of your front sight when shooting the dot, you are probably doing it wrong, as you should be using a target focus when shooting with a dot.

Good Point

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Nice to know those exist. I also use and really like the Maddmacs center mount on my 22/45.

One note from reading your OP: if you are consciously lining up the dot with your front sight, or even if you are aware of your front sight when shooting the dot, you are probably doing it wrong, as you should be using a target focus when shooting with a dot.
    That's a good, simple way of explaining the use of the red dot.

Putting the dot on top of the front sight is used in setting up the dot and irons.
    Last edited by Bruce in WV; 05-30-2021 at 07:19 AM.

Site Supporter
    Could you see the original iron sights when looking through the holosun sight? I would not want a pure co witness but seeing the irons in the lower third would work

The factory irons are too low to see with both the Holosun and the Fastfire 3 that I tried first.

RM06 added

I finally had an opportunity to get a good used RM06 at a decent price, so I changed the Holosun 507C-GR that was on the MK IV to the RMR. It co-witnesses well; now I have the same sight picture on both carry and training guns.

Yankee refugee living in the free state of West Virginia

pic added

Got the picture host issue fixed: updated photo.

Yankee refugee living in the free state of West Virginia

Site Supporter
    Feel free to light a fire and get ready to burn the witch, but on a recreational gun you don't need back up iron sights. You can make a case that you really don't need them for duty guns either (assuming you use a quality optic), but that's another discussion.

Additionally, the mere fact that the OP is "balancing the dot on the front sight" tells me the optic is not being used correctly. Any iron sights present on a PMO equipped pistol are NO PART of an aiming solution when using the optic. If you're back on the iron sights instead of being target focused during shooting solution development, then your focus/attention is in the wrong place. If you want to run iron sight motor programs to shoot, take the dot off and save time. The training methodology for the PMO is different and is totally built on target/threat focus with no mental energy used on, in or at the optic.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 01-14-2022 at 11:38 AM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

But, but, but... I saw this You Tube Expert explaining that you used the iron sights to "find the dot".

I guess my friend who has gone all dot for all purposes, comp and carry, no BUIS, didn't see that video. He just says that if his battery runs down, he can frame an assailant in the window well enough at moderate range.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List