Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A caution about gun writers and online reviews:

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    While everyone else was partying in college, I was reading old issues of “Outdoor Life” on microfiche in the library basement.

Yeah, that’s nerd with a capital “N”.
    The college I attended in the mid 80s had an extensive collection of the American Rifleman I’d peruse in my spare time. I’ll bet it’s gone now.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    If you like the oldies and dead writers, have a present on a slow server:

https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmZ47SecPyF6Z8D...dv4ZVXXXWSzYRv
    That site is the Queen of Request Time Out notices.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Yeah, when I learned that the .357 magnum wouldn't shoot through an engine block I was miffed. Whew, that was an expensive lesson.......just kidding folks. It's sort of like watching a gun video on U-tube and the poster doesn't know what he/she is doing. I'm like it's a video. Get yourself together, and do another video. At least try to look like you know what you are doing. Same with print media. Take it with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    That site is the Queen of Request Time Out notices.
    It's not so much a site as a protocol linking into a blockchain-ish peer-to-peer file directory. Upload speeds depend on number of servers carrying the file, what is being used as a server, upload speeds on whatever - usually residential - ISP plans they are hooked to, are they direct into a modem, into a router (for the love of God, stop dong this, people), into a tor or VPN router, how many client requests are being made on that spare bandwidth, if the server is even on or experiencing a service slowdown/outage, and so-on. Best to just start download on interesting looking files, go do something else, and review when done. Reading, watching, or listening directly through IPFS is not advised.

As an aside, streaming on the Youtube competitor Odysee (a portal to access the decentralized peer-to-peer LBRY blockchain) when linked is also not great. Just download and then watch and delete if you don't want to keep the video. Freshly posted material will have few computers hosting fragments so buffering will take forever. Older material on bigger channels has generally been downloaded enough to have enough machines serving fragments to stream alright.

TL/DR: You are opening a keyed and often encrypted folder on someone else's machine/s and are at the mercy of their upload capabilities.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    It's not so much a site as a protocol linking into a blockchain-ish peer-to-peer file directory. Upload speeds depend on number of servers carrying the file, what is being used as a server, upload speeds on whatever - usually residential - ISP plans they are hooked to, are they direct into a modem, into a router (for the love of God, stop dong this, people), into a tor or VPN router, how many client requests are being made on that spare bandwidth, if the server is even on or experiencing a service slowdown/outage, and so-on. Best to just start download on interesting looking files, go do something else, and review when done. Reading, watching, or listening directly through IPFS is not advised.

As an aside, streaming on the Youtube competitor Odysee (a portal to access the decentralized peer-to-peer LBRY blockchain) when linked is also not great. Just download and then watch and delete if you don't want to keep the video. Freshly posted material will have few computers hosting fragments so buffering will take forever. Older material on bigger channels has generally been downloaded enough to have enough machines serving fragments to stream alright.

TL/DR: You are opening a keyed and often encrypted folder on someone else's machine/s and are at the mercy of their upload capabilities.
    I know that's English, I recognize most of the words.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Kyle Lamb said on one of his podcasts that most gun writers can’t shoot at all but they can sure put the booze away.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Kyle Lamb said on one of his podcasts that most gun writers can’t shoot at all but they can sure put the booze away.
    I've witnessed this first-hand.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I consider '95 to be the last worthwhile one. It at least had a bit on 30-30 also-rans, guy hunting squirrel with an Intratec DC-9 out of spite
    Man, that guy must really hate squirrels.

I know, almost certainly a response to the AWB in 94. Still though

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    While everyone else was partying in college, I was reading old issues of “Outdoor Life” on microfiche in the library basement.

Yeah, that’s nerd with a capital “N”.
    Patrick McManus never failed to make me laugh, occasionally at inappropriate times.

Site Supporter
    Back in the late '80s and early '90s I was a freelance writer. I mostly wrote about old time stuff, black powder cartridge guns and historical topics. I got a number of articles published by both Handloader and Rifle from Wolff Publishing in Prescott, AZ. The editors there had pretty high standards and you needed to have your facts straight. I gave it up, mostly because they all pay upon publication. On one article I waited 33 months before it made its way into an issue. Really hard to do any financial planning with those kinds of paydays (LOL)

The other reason I quit the writing game was to start my own firearms training business which lasted 10 years. Still and all I did enjoy putting some of those articles together. Lots of research, test firing, collecting data, doing the photography, then writing it up. Ah to be young(er) again.

Dave

User Tag List