Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: There's just something about a 20" A2

Cool rifle! I was never a 20" fan but then recently, something clicked in me and I REALLY would like to get a A1. Those colt reissues are cool but WAY pricey.

Thanks for the write-up!

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post

I'm kind of surprised there are no off the shelf A2 clones that are close to accurate. FN makes an overpriced A4 collector model, and there are some Colts that could be rebarrelled... but nothing really seems to have it all. Thats odd to me.
    What do you mean by accurate? My Colt barrel shoots very well as long as I don’t go crazy with the sling and I have long heard that the FN barrels (which I believe Palmetto sells with their upper end rifles) are quite excellent. And then there is BCM which makes an A4 upper with their CHF barrels (although I haven’t seen them in stock for a long time).

Or maybe you are meaning “accurate to spec”, which yeah, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    What do you mean by accurate? My Colt barrel shoots very well as long as I don’t go crazy with the sling and I have long heard that the FN barrels (which I believe Palmetto sells with their upper end rifles) are quite excellent. And then there is BCM which makes an A4 upper with their CHF barrels (although I haven’t seen them in stock for a long time).

Or maybe you are meaning “accurate to spec”, which yeah, I agree.
    I meant to spec. Colt rifles in a true A2 don't seem to be out there. They seem to offer Hbar variants and some without the magazine release fence... just not much true to as issued.

I have little doubt about the shooting accuracy of a rifle with a good twist/bullet combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I meant to spec. Colt rifles in a true A2 don't seem to be out there. They seem to offer Hbar variants and some without the magazine release fence... just not much true to as issued.

I have little doubt about the shooting accuracy of a rifle with a good twist/bullet combo.
    I don’t think I have ever seen a Colt civilian AR15 built to true spec sans fire control. All the “AR15A2” labeled guns I have ever seen are lacking fences on their receivers like you say and the later “Sporter” models that have the correct lowers are built without bayonet lugs and even flash hiders.

Mine is a Sporter from 1994 and then I had a buddy of mine who was a turbine machinist for GE custom fit a proper front sight post with lug to my barrel.

And another story to blow all you young guys minds, this rifle lived with me in the BOQ with Provost Martial approval of two duty stations! Not as cool as being able to buy CZ75s at the PX in Germany during the 1980s but still way better than today from what I have heard.

Back in 2006 I got a federal job as an armed security guard. I was originally issued an M16A1 with some A2 handguards on it. After a couple years it was replaced with a less worn A2. I liked the larger sight aperture of the A2 but wasn't fond of the extra pound of weight. Both were nice shooters. I want to put something together here soon that has my favorite features of both.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

My first AR was a mutt rifle built off of a Colt A2 "large hole" upper. I was able to source the upper + lpk(also Colt large hole) used on ARFCOM and assemble it to a Stag lower. This was in 2008 leading up to the election so everything was scarce and I was a poor college student. The 20" A2 was the least popular thing you could buy and doubly so with the non standard front receiver hole. I got a good deal .

I ended up really loving that rifle. Even moreso after putting a Vltor A5 kit on it. Hunted with it for many years and even ran a few biathlons with it. Still have it today although it's mostly used for screwing around on KD ranges which is where the A2 is really at home.
    Last edited by littlejerry; 05-30-2021 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Still have it today although it's mostly used for screwing around on KD ranges which is where the A2 is really at home.
    There are many who would argue that’s what it was built for.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    There are many who would argue that’s what it was built for.
    The complaints I usually hear are the barrel profile, rear sight, buttstock and 3rd burst.

The other changes that are usually seen as beneficial are the flash hider, square front sight, more durable handguards, and fences on the lower receiver.

Ive never had an issue with the stock, barrel or rear sight. I get the complaints from smaller individuals but the A2 balances perfect for me and is already light enough. My wifes pencil barreled AR is to light and whippy for me.

The rear sight is a pretty rugged thing. It does invite bored fingers to play with it. If zeroed and left alone they are no different in use than A1 sights.

The changes were definitely geared towards the range but besides the burst I dont have a complaint for a combat rifle.

I've run multiple biathlons with an A2 bouncing around on my back. Never had the windage or elevation adjust on me. I've always liked the A2 sights. The squared off front post is definitely easier to pick up in less than ideal lighting conditions. The rear is easy to adjust and at least gives you the option of using a 200 yard zero but then being able to dial out to 500 or 600 yards and get repeatable hits.

Another pro of the 20" barrel is cheap long range plinking. I've had Wolf Gold completely destabilize at 600 yards from my 16" barrel in cold weather(30s-40s). In the 20" it still gets good hits at 600 even in the low 30's.

Obviously these are all recreational pros. I still think a sweet iron sight gamer rig would be a pencil 20" barrel, A2 sights, modest brake, and A5 collapsible stock. The rifle length gas system is already smooth and it doesn't take much brake to make it shoot silly flat.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    ... I still think a sweet iron sight gamer rig would be a pencil 20" barrel, A2 sights, modest brake, and A5 collapsible stock. The rifle length gas system is already smooth and it doesn't take much brake to make it shoot silly flat.
    I'm in the process of buying parts to have something similar to your idea. Not for anything serious, just a KISS plinker.

- Mil-Spec lower with A5 extension
    - Magpul SL-K stock
    - A1 upper with no F/A or brass deflector
    - 16" middie lightweight barrel
    - BCM MCMR 9" handguard
    - Surefire 5.56 Procomp

User Tag List