Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: There's just something about a 20" A2

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    The musket is a great shooter, and feels very pure to me. If I had my choice, an M4 is probably it. But the M16A2 is such a nostolgic rifle for me. If I was handed an A2 and told to go get some I would be comfortable with it.
    Same here. Plus we'd be ready if there's an unexpected breakout of drill and ceremony.

Don't fuck with old guys.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    I really enjoyed iron sights at that age. Iron sights felt "pure" if that makes sense.

Nice bayonet Suvarov. That legal in Kalifornia?
    I’m 49 and can still see the front sight on longer rifles pretty well depending on the glasses I’m wearing. The front sight on the M4 is a little fuzzy.

As for the blade, the funny thing about Kalifornia’s laws is bayonet mounts are OK. As stupid as it is, I always wanted an M9 bayonet since my days as a teenager reading International Combat Arms. Last year I sold a bunch of older pocket knives and bought my own personal M9 bayonet.

Site Supporter
    Basic was a worn A2. First rifle I got at my unit was a pencil barrel Colt AR15 with a happy switch - that guard unit had a mix of triangle handguards, round handguards, and various manufacturers including rebuilt H&Rs, all marked as M16A1s except mine. My Colt was probably the most accurate issue M16 I ever fired. Eventually, a little after we got M9s and gave up our .38s, my unit got brand new FN A2s. When I did airport security after 9/11, there were M4s that were pool rifles - the same rifles were on duty from the start of that detail until it ended. When I did security at the 2002 SLC Winter Olympics, if I was on an armed position, I got a random A2 - no attempt made to issue the right rifle to the soldier who’d qualified with it.

I deployed with my assigned FN A2 to Afghanistan and Iraq.

Site Supporter
    My only AR is an A2. Seeing the sights is no problem, even at 69. Hitting stuff, OTOH... Actually, it's not too bad. In one of the two carbine classes I took, we got done early because everyone was attentive and prepared and things went really smoothly. We each, one at a time, burned through a magazine from about 60-70 yards out, shooting at small steel targets suspended by chains. From unsupported prone, I had no problem keeping the smallest one (~4-6" in diameter) dancing.

I need to take it out to the range soon.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Same here. Plus we'd be ready if there's an unexpected breakout of drill and ceremony.

Don't fuck with old guys.

Okie John
    I like to think I was mediocre at soldiering, and competent outside the wire. I dabbled in Honor Guard (those were M14s) so I was at least passable at DNC...

I got called away for something during basic, and totally missed inspect arms training for DNC. I manged to never need that particular skill. I would probably royally screw the pooch at DNC of any formality with an A2.

I'm also turning 30 next month, lol.

I like to think I was mediocre at soldiering, and competent outside the wire. I dabbled in Honor Guard (those were M14s) so I was at least passable at DNC...

I got called away for something during basic, and totally missed inspect arms training for DNC. I manged to never need that particular skill. I would probably royally screw the pooch at DNC of any formality with an A2.

I'm also turning 30 next month, lol.
    If you cut your teeth on an A2, then you’re old.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    The A2 was the standard rifle when I entered service and they were still in my unit when I left 12 years later.
    After we came back I transferred back to a unit with A2s. Eventually they changed to M4s with Knights rail too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    When I did security at the 2002 SLC Winter Olympics, if I was on an armed position, I got a random A2 - no attempt made to issue the right rifle to the soldier who’d qualified with it.

I deployed with my assigned FN A2 to Afghanistan and Iraq.
    I was shocked to see how many units still had A2s during last years riots.

Obviously not an issue during GWOT where we had a system worked out where units didn't actually deploy with their own gear, just fell in on everything once in-country. Probably not the best COA going forward, though.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I was shocked to see how many units still had A2s during last years riots.

Obviously not an issue during GWOT where we had a system worked out where units didn't actually deploy with their own gear, just fell in on everything once in-country. Probably not the best COA going forward, though.
    GWOT has been long nd varied. My Guard unit had M4s issued stateside prior to deployment. When I returned and was sent back to my original unit it was A2s. Eventually they were swapped for M4s. The only thing we really fell in on were our vics, and a connex of random unaccounted gear and ammo. That was 2010 OIF so stuff was probably different in other parts of our 20 year war timeline. Or for OEF guys. Or active duty guys. So many variables it's insane.

I'm kind of surprised there are no off the shelf A2 clones that are close to accurate. FN makes an overpriced A4 collector model, and there are some Colts that could be rebarrelled... but nothing really seems to have it all. Thats odd to me.

Did you remember to bring your smudge pot? Agreed, nothing like a 20” A2. Nowadays, my 20” A2 sees more time with impromptu private close order drill practice rather than actual range time. Now got me thinking I should dust it off and get some rounds through it.

I'm kind of surprised there are no off the shelf A2 clones that are close to accurate. FN makes an overpriced A4 collector model, and there are some Colts that could be rebarrelled... but nothing really seems to have it all. Thats odd to me.
    Not old enough to be retro cool, but old enough that nobody has any interest in it. Not to mention it's probably the most disliked model (for good reason) in the historical M4/M16 lineage.

But, there is one option if you're willing to pay: https://www.fulton-armory.com/farifl...e-3-2-2-7.aspx
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List