Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: There's just something about a 20" A2

There's just something about a 20" A2

I dont shoot rifles much right now but I decided I need to check zeroes which Ive only done with 4 rifles since I moved last july.

Today was my 20" A2s turn. The upper assembly is a FN I got from ohio ordnance. Im not sure where they got surplus uppers but Im glad I got one.

I was running short on time this afternoon so I ran the half mile on an old logging trail from where I park to save some time.

I stapled my Osama bin laden target to an old dead tree and jogged back to a stump at 200 yards. I fired 10 rounds center mass and it was perfect. Only shot 30 rounds but was very happy with how borringly consistent this rifle is. I was happy with 5" 10rd groups at 200 as well.

Old pic
    Name:  20200403_102656.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  54.2 KB

Just thought I'd mention this for some good natured fun:

The A2 is as old now as the M14 was when you were in the USMC....

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

A variation on the biathlon. Sounds like a very fun day. Don't know your age. Can you still get a sharp focus on the front sight?
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Just thought I'd mention this for some good natured fun:

The A2 is as old now as the M14 was when you were in the USMC....

Lol, we got A4s when in oki right before we left for Fallujah. I think we only had 1 acog per squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    A variation on the biathlon. Sounds like a very fun day. Don't know your age. Can you still get a sharp focus on the front sight?
    Im 37 and wear glasses. No problem with the front sight.

I lifted in the morning but wanted to either go shoot or go for a run. I guess I never really made up my mind lol

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I agree. The A2 was the standard rifle when I entered service and they were still in my unit when I left 12 years later. It is still probably my favorite rifle.

Mine is a Colt upper on a Kalifornia approved Lower with all the parts (sans fire control) from the Colt lower.

Name:  71468234-80CF-4351-B822-DA57A976D87E.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  80.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Im 37 and wear glasses. No problem with the front sight.
    I really enjoyed iron sights at that age. Iron sights felt "pure" if that makes sense.

Nice bayonet Suvarov. That legal in Kalifornia?
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

I built two 20”ers a few years ago. They are among my favorites.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I was issued ancient M-16A1 rifles for most of the first part of my career. I was delighted to have a NEW rifle but I didn’t care for the extra weight and I thought the sights were fiddly. Good rifles otherwise.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I had an M4 in basic training (round handguard) with iron sight. Then I went to my guard unit and had an A2 with irons, we got M4s, knights rail, with M68s and then Acogs before deployment. After we came back I transferred back to a unit with A2s. Eventually they changed to M4s with Knights rail too.

The musket is a great shooter, and feels very pure to me. If I had my choice, an M4 is probably it. But the M16A2 is such a nostolgic rifle for me. If I was handed an A2 and told to go get some I would be comfortable with it.

User Tag List