Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: There's just something about a 20" A2

I'm jumping in just because. I really love my A2. I have had it for about 30 years and it just plain shoots. It is an old Eagle Arms that I bought before the Clinton AWB.

I have a few different AR's set up for different things, but honestly this one is my favorite. It is simple, it is very easy to hit out to 300 + yards, and doesn't have much extra stuff to go wrong. The handguards work well for my largish hands and the rifle length gas system makes it a smooth shooter. I am still blessed with pretty good eyesight at 52, so as long as I can get by with the irons it will stay this way.

There is just something about a good A2 that smells like victory.

Name:  ERA2.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  55.4 KB

Name:  A2.jpeg
Views: 246
Size:  67.3 KB

I want to like the A2– I get it — but the stock and hbar don’t work for me. On the other hand Clint taught my 2000 Urban Rifle with an SP1 and I have had a lingering Jones for twenty years now.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I want to like the A2– I get it — but the stock and hbar don’t work for me. On the other hand Clint taught my 2000 Urban Rifle with an SP1 and I have had a lingering Jones for twenty years now.
    The A2 doesn’t have the H-Bar per spec even though many A2 style rifle do as they are/were the standard for service rifle. I myself like the government profile better as I find the rifle better balanced and handier and have only dabbled in service rifle matches at the level the barrel really doesn’t hinder me. As for the stock, the A1 stock is an easy fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    The A2 doesn’t have the H-Bar per spec even though many A2 style rifle do as they are/were the standard for service rifle. I myself like the government profile better as I find the rifle better balanced and handier and have only dabbled in service rifle matches at the level the barrel really doesn’t hinder me. As for the stock, the A1 stock is an easy fit.
    That is exactly how I have this rifle set-up right now. I just switched to an A1 stock about three months ago and like it much better.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Who makes a government profile barrel these days (with installed front sight and block) that would make a worthy replacement for a heavy HBAR?
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

I am a little embarrassed to admit I have a WOA upper that I purchased a loooooooooong time ago (it is from before the AWB expired, I think I got it in 2003ish) that I have not fired.

Now that I am retired I am going to try to find a highpower range and get someone to teach me that style of shooting.

The upper has a bunch of lead in the handguards and a heavy SS barrel (with no flash hider or nuzzle break):

Name:  PXL_20210603_163532053~2.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  65.8 KB

It also has some fancy 1/4 MOA sights:

Name:  PXL_20210603_163626914.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  24.5 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I am a little embarrassed to admit I have a WOA upper that I purchased a loooooooooong time ago (it is from before the AWB expired, I think I got it in 2003ish) that I have not fired.

Now that I am retired I am going to try to find a highpower range and get someone to teach me that style of shooting.

The upper has a bunch of lead in the handguards and a heavy SS barrel (with no flash hider or nuzzle break):

Name:  PXL_20210603_163532053~2.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  65.8 KB

It also has some fancy 1/4 MOA sights:

Name:  PXL_20210603_163626914.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  24.5 KB
    Someday...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Who makes a government profile barrel these days (with installed front sight and block) that would make a worthy replacement for a heavy HBAR?
    Brownell's had A1-profile 20in barrels with FSB installed for a pretty reasonable price, given the run on more modern AR stuff I'm sure they're out of stock forever.

BCM and Colt both offer quality 20in Gov't profile barrels, the Colt being CHF, but neither come with an installed FSB or muzzle device last I checked.

Semi-unrelated, CMMG makes a nice fixed stock that is A1 length but has the A2 style sling loop and trapdoor buttplate. I particularly like that stock.
    99% sure it's CMMG part number 55CA646.
    Last edited by JRB; 06-03-2021 at 02:52 PM.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Brownell's had A1-profile 20in barrels with FSB installed for a pretty reasonable price, given the run on more modern AR stuff I'm sure they're out of stock forever.

BCM and Colt both offer quality 20in Gov't profile barrels, the Colt being CHF, but neither come with an installed FSB or muzzle device last I checked.

Semi-unrelated, CMMG makes a nice fixed stock that is A1 length but has the A2 style sling loop and trapdoor buttplate. I particularly like that stock.
    99% sure it's CMMG part number 55CA646.
    Pretty sure BCM makes one as well but like 99% of their stuff, it is perpetually out of stock. Wasn't there a batch of FN's also that also hit the market a few years back (although those are pretty much Unicorns by now).

Before China released their bio weapon on the world, gun broker would have been the place to go....

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    The HBAR is nice to shoot, but I need a punkah boy to carry it around for me...

Yep, gone are the days of ANYTHING related to ARs being in stock.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List