Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to replace my Model 63, but with what?

I want to replace my Model 63, but with what?

I’ve got a 4” Model 63 that I’ve gone from really enjoying to being ho hum about. Even with the red insert, the front sight is mostly just a suggestion to my eyes, the DA isn’t pretty and I find I just can’t get comfortable with J frame stocks. Even the Herrett Shooting Stars I have on it don’t feel as good as they used to.

Part of the problem is my hands, part of the problem is my eyes and the rest is my use for it. I’ve been trying to use it as a less expensive DA trainer (compared to 9mm at least).

What I’m looking for is something newer production, K frame/GP100 size, easily replaceable front sight, a 3”-4” barrel and the ability to mount a mrds without a trip to a ‘smith. So far I’ve identified the LCRx, SP101 and 617 as possibilities that meet most of my wants (not sure if the 2 Rugers can do the mrds part yet and the SP grip may be J frame size).

Is there something else I need to add to my list to check out?

Thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Try a set of Sile J frame grips. Should be $12-15 shipped on fleabay. I have USP45 size hands and they work well on my M&P 340. They're also cheap enough to grind and customize if you want.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I only did a quick search last night but the only Sile J frames I’m seeing mention being Herrett Shooting Star sized so I’m not sure that helps. I might try some Pach grippers but that still leaves the problem with seeing the front sight well. I’d paint it but I haven’t seen as much improvement with painted ramp sights vs painted Patridge blades.

I think I’ll start with the stocks before deciding my next step.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Pics here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....rame-grip-hack

I'm running the boot-hack version on my M&P 340 now, and it works surprisingly well. A little gappy; I might get around to filling it with some black polyurethane one day if it bugs me enough.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I’ve got a 4” Model 63 that I’ve gone from really enjoying to being ho hum about. Even with the red insert, the front sight is mostly just a suggestion to my eyes, the DA isn’t pretty and I find I just can’t get comfortable with J frame stocks. Even the Herrett Shooting Stars I have on it don’t feel as good as they used to.

Part of the problem is my hands, part of the problem is my eyes and the rest is my use for it. I’ve been trying to use it as a less expensive DA trainer (compared to 9mm at least).
    I can't shoot my M63 J-frame well either, despite which grips I've put on it as my hands are quite meaty, and as you said, the red insert sight isn't that great. And I shoot N-frame revolvers, so that J-frame is not that great as a DA understudy. My solution? The M617. The K-frame fits my clubs so much better and is heavy much like one of my N-frames, so it's great for training. But the M617 Patridge sight was not
    much better than the M63 sight, so I replaced it with a fiber optic, but it's pinned and requires a bit of fitting. Now it's perfect.
    Name:  S&W M617 HIVIZ Sight Install 210424 6.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  78.9 KB
    Last edited by sparkyv; 05-29-2021 at 11:16 AM.

Noted it appears you're rocking the X frame grip there.
    Not another dime.

It helps tame the bone-crushing recoil of the 22 LR cartridge. Same thinking behind the muzzle brake on this Clark Ruger.

Name:  04CAA271-ACE4-40D8-878D-F762276B1DBD.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  51.7 KB

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyv View Post
    I can't shoot my M63 J-frame well either, despite which grips I've put on it as my hands are quite meaty, and as you said, the red insert sight isn't that great. And I shoot N-frame revolvers, so that J-frame is not that great as a DA understudy. My solution? The M617. The K-frame fits my clubs so much better and is heavy much like one of my N-frames, so it's great for training. But the M617 Patridge sight was not
    much better than the M63 sight, so I replaced it with a fiber optic, but it's pinned and requires a bit of fitting. Now it's perfect.
    Name:  S&W M617 HIVIZ Sight Install 210424 6.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  78.9 KB
    I'm pretty sure a K frame is the answer for me as well. I had my eye on a 4" 617 a month or so back but I hemmed and hawed too much and it was gone next time I went back.

@okie john, a Clark Ruger is on my "fun gun want list".

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Noted it appears you're rocking the X frame grip there.
    Correct. Same grip on my K-frame, N-frames, and my X-frame. The Hogue fits me great, and I hope it will help my consistency across all my revolvers, and YES, I can hardly feel the 22LR recoil!

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    It helps tame the bone-crushing recoil of the 22 LR cartridge. Same thinking behind the muzzle brake on this Clark Ruger.

Name:  04CAA271-ACE4-40D8-878D-F762276B1DBD.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  51.7 KB

Okie John

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    What I’m looking for is something newer production, K frame/GP100 size, easily replaceable front sight, a 3”-4” barrel and the ability to mount a mrds without a trip to a ‘smith. So far I’ve identified the LCRx, SP101 and 617 as possibilities that meet most of my wants (not sure if the 2 Rugers can do the mrds part yet and the SP grip may be J frame size).
    I have not seen any LCR mounts for an MRDS, but Raptor once made a mount for the SP101 and I believe Allchin still does; if you were willing to go up in size, there are more GP-100 mounting options.

IMHO, the 617 may be your best choice of the three you mention, and I say that as a guy who now has only Rugers left in the revolver department.

Locally, I know of one slightly fussed-over SP101 in .22LR with an off-the-rack rubber Hogue monogrip and the factory irons with green FO insert. The trigger is nice - not outstanding, but very useable - and while it would not qualify as a target gun, it is the owner's current walking about/plinking favorite. My eyes now suck, but I have fired this particular gun on an indoor 50' range and it wasn't excruciating.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List