Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Louisiana Heading Toward Constitutional Carry

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    If the state wants to require training in order to carry a firearm, fine.

But, because it's a constitutional right, the state should be required to pay for it: Pay for the course. Pay for the cartridges. If the attendee has to skip a day of work, pay them for that. If the attendees have to put their kids into daycare or hire a sitter, pay for that. if they have to travel, pay for that.

If not, then the training requirement is what it is sometimes meant to be: A tax on people to persuade them to not exercise their rights.

(Sort of like what the machinegun stamp tax was meant to be in 1934, when it was the equivalent of $4,000 in today's money.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    If the state wants to require training in order to carry a firearm, fine.

But, because it's a constitutional right, the state should be required to pay for it: Pay for the course. Pay for the cartridges. If the attendee has to skip a day of work, pay them for that. If the attendees have to put their kids into daycare or hire a sitter, pay for that. if they have to travel, pay for that.

If not, then the training requirement is what it is sometimes meant to be: A tax on people to persuade them to not exercise their rights.

(Sort of like what the machinegun stamp tax was meant to be in 1934, when it was the equivalent of $4,000 in today's money.)
    An alternative is to give out a pamphlet on the relevant self defense law and relevant statute on where carryis permitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    The instructor brought in a U.S. Law Shield sales rep, which I thought was a clever move,
    They did the same in my TX LTC class and I thought it was kind of sleezy. I was getting major "come down and see our time share" vibes.

Lawyers are expensive but I think we had a thread here that asked the unanswered question: is the rando attorney US Law Shield gives you any better than a public defender? Really any better?

U.S. LawShield is not a law firm. Membership in the U.S. LawShield Legal Defense for Self-Defense Program is not a guarantee of any particular outcome. All legal services are provided by independent, third-party program attorneys who are part of the Program.
    I think people are going into some $10/mo shenanigans with expectations that simply can't or won't match reality if push comes to shove. The last time I paid a lawyer (civil, not criminal) the retainer was $10k. Just to get started. $10 per month? What is it, exactly, people think they're getting for this? "If enough people pay $10/mo then we can pay $10,000+ per lawsuit for the handful that actually use the service." That's a pyramid scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    They did the same in my TX LTC class and I thought it was kind of sleezy. I was getting major "come down and see our time share" vibes.

Lawyers are expensive but I think we had a thread here that asked the unanswered question: is the rando attorney US Law Shield gives you any better than a public defender? Really any better?
    I haven't had the opportunity (or misfortune) of needing self-defense attorneys, but the lawyer that we were explicitly promised from the US Law Shield sales rep was James Reeves, and he's also the author of the Louisiana Gun Law book. I was satisfied, but I'm no legal or law of self-defense expert.

Insurance, of any form, is a gamble. I hope to hedge my bets by having additional resources, but it's not like I'm going around thinking or acting differently with this program than I am without it.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Slightly off topic, but the move towards constitutional carry across the country is one of the reasons that I decided recently not to pursue getting my certification as a CCW instructor. I reside in SC and we are heading in that direction as well. I know a lot of retired LE that are making a few bucks on the side to conduct the classes, but it looks like their part time gigs are eventually going away here.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Slightly off topic, but the move towards constitutional carry across the country is one of the reasons that I decided recently not to pursue getting my certification as a CCW instructor. I reside in SC and we are heading in that direction as well. I know a lot of retired LE that are making a few bucks on the side to conduct the classes, but it looks like their part time gigs are eventually going away here.
    People will still need training.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    "If enough people pay $10/mo then we can pay $10,000+ per lawsuit for the handful that actually use the service." That's a pyramid scheme.
    Do you pay heart surgeon money to your health insurance every month? If not, is health insurance a pyramid scheme?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Do you pay heart surgeon money to your health insurance every month? If not, is health insurance a pyramid scheme?
    I'll take "Risk Management" for $1,000, Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I mean, it kinda is. Health insurance in the US is a clusterfuck by anyone's definition. That said, it's my understanding that products like health and car insurance have some regulatory standards that the carry "insurance" doesn't have. i.e. your health insurance will cover a routine doctor's visit not out of the kindness of their hearts but because they're required to cover it under the terms of your agreement. US Law Shield doesn't seem to have dick when it comes to what they're legally required to provide. Could be that I'm wrong. Their terms, last I skimmed them, were pretty generous when it comes to them dropping you like a hot potato.

I also think the analogue doesn't work because there's no "free" version of a heart surgeon like there is with a public defender. i.e. your health insurance company doesn't have a rep present during the surgery that can say "eh, yeah, this is too expensive we're done; good luck out there buddy!". Which means you're paying not for service but for the hope that they don't halt the service midway once the independent lawyers they're paying themselves hits X billable hours. Maybe the legal types can weigh in on that. I think there are some hurdles to clear when changing lawyers mid case? But "client can't pay, we out" isn't, AFAIK, one of them. If they don't have some maximum billable hours per incident buried somewhere in the thousand pages of legalese everyone clicks through when they sign up I'd be surprised.

Spitballing, without giving a lot of thought (so don’t gangrape me) - what if licensed dealers were required to provide an extremely basic safety class as a part of the first time purchase? How to load, basic safety, how to unload. 30 minutes tops. I see totally untrained first timers as being a risk everyone would want to mitigate.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List