Thread: RCS/MDTS Pocket Shield - Setup, Usage, Etc.

RCS/MDTS Pocket Shield - Setup, Usage, Etc.

In this thread: https://pistol-forum.com/newreply.ph...eply&p=1226738 - We got a bit off track discussing the Raven Concealment Systems/Modern Defensive Training Systems Pocket Shield. Which was designed to function as a tool to help you conceal and organize pocket carried gear.

@Chuck Whitlock pointed out that the coyote brown Pocket Shield is currently on sale for $4.99/each (from $29.99/each) - so I think quite a few folks have bought one or two or four extra.

So, with this in mind - I think we should have an Pocket Shield specific thread.

Let me start be responding to this thought from @Guerrero:

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    where I normally wear slacks/khakis, but the thing (to me) just looked like a boat anchor in my pocket.
    I found that to be the case, at first. There were a couple of changes I made.

First, trim the top corners down nearly flush, this kept it from bellowing out the top of the pocket.

Second, I used some cord to tie the edges to make a curve that matched my leg and then left it on my window sill for a few days on a warm spring day, which resulted in it taking a set to that curve. This sped along the process of getting things to where I wanted them to help with concealment. The other thing I've thought about doing and haven't yet done, is maybe put loop side velcro over the front side of the pocket shield, which might help with thin fabrics when they're pulled taut over the pocket shield.

Site Supporter
    I snagged a handful (to take the sting out of shipping) when RCS put them on sale. I had always liked the concept, but had never tried it out.

I had the same issue being described... rather than reduce printing, it became super obvious that I had some giant plastic thing in my pocket. Despite this, I tried mounting a BFG 10-speed mag pouch and found that I pulled the whole contraption out of my pocket when trying to draw the mag. Since this isn't the first time I've been burned by the good idea fairy, I just chalked the experiment up as a loss and chucked them in my "miscellaneous gun stuff" box.

That said, I'll be following this thread, and might actually put some effort into making them work for me.

I just snagged a couple myself to start experimenting. I will be following this thread with interest.

My on-person EDC is pretty minimal, so I never had much incentive to make it work. It bulged so much in my normal pants, it looked very out of place. So I repurposed it to hold a couple of items in an upright position inside of my backpack pocket. My wife's hair ties have served well enough to keep things in place with a minimal amount of bulk.

Site Supporter
    I prefer to use a pocket shield for those times when I want to pocket carry a small fixed blade such as a Clinch Pick. Attaching the sheath to the Pocket Shield holds everything in the correct position in my pocket. Although I usually do this within a front pocket with a vertical opening, I have also used the cargo pocket of cargo shorts.

My summertime left front pocket solution for an extra mag when I cannot get away with anything on the belt. Even with thin work pants, it doesn’t look like much.
    Name:  A5D569B4-EE5B-42AB-B33A-08E95C27630E.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  24.3 KB
    It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun ― Mark Twight

Looking forward to this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    @Chuck Whitlock pointed out that the coyote brown Pocket Shield is currently on sale for $4.99/each (from $29.99/each) - so I think quite a few folks have bought one or two or four extra.
    To be fair and give credit where it is due, it was @NH Shooter who first posted that.

Back on topic-

Keep in mind that my use isn't really concealment, but more like hide in plain sight.

At work, I now wear jeans, dress shirt w/tie, and exposed belt holster/magazines/cuffs. The pocket shield conceals the fact that what is in my pocket is another (smaller) gun. Combined with the Nemesis holster, it also effectively provides a standoff which protects the magazine release.

On my own time, when my BUG is a Kahr 9mm in my belt, the pocket shield w/PT1L covers a spare K9 mag in a Sneaky Pete pouch. As a Texas peace officer, I don't normally go beyond casual concealment......This pocket shield sat in a drawer for quite awhile before this new assignment.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 05-29-2021 at 01:47 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List