Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does RNL ammo still exist?

Why does RNL ammo still exist?

WC and SWC beat it in every conceivable way, except one. Better for target shooting. (With my crap eyes, I appreciate big holes in paper more and more all the time.) Better terminal ballistics.

The only advantage I see to RNL is slightly faster reloading. Much like Hornady's pointy "filled" JHPs.

I've never handloaded RNLs. I've never even contemplated buying RNL bullets to handload.

My impression is: inertia. Maybe the international market that fears effective bullets?

What am I missing here?
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

They reload mucho very much easier on the clock.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    They reload mucho very much easier on the clock.
    This is pretty much it. I still have a bunch left over from when I was shooting SSR in IDPA.

"Why" and "What For" might be two different things. Manufacturers are coin operated, and somebody placed an order.

Non-Destructive Small Game Loads

Among those of us who use handguns and rifles of similar caliber for small game shooting, common LRN loads damage less meat on edible birds and critters so that you can eat right up to the bullet hole. They are also effective on game up to deer at kitchen garden distance, as they typically do a 180-degree "flip" during the first 6 inches of penetration and then continue base-first, penetrating much deeper than expanding JHPs. Knowledge of animal anatomy and correct shot placement is essential, of course. Solidly shooting though the heart-lung "boiler room" and breaking the off-side shoulder upon exit usually does the job. Solid lead semi-wadcutters provide similar penetration and somewhat better "crush," but without the "flip". But the most important factor favoring LRN ammo is that in many places it is the most commonly distributed and lowest cost factory ammunition available to rural-agricultural users who are neither hobby shooters or hand loaders, and it may be the only ammunition available to people without much money.

Name:  38-spc-6.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  44.1 KB
    Last edited by Outpost75; 05-28-2021 at 04:39 PM.

158gr LRN .. my 3 inch barreled 36 shoots’em point of aim ...

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    158gr LRN .. my 3 inch barreled 36 shoots’em point of aim ...
    Most old school, fixed sight cop guns do. Another reason for keeping them around. A couple oldies and one not as old fired with 50-75 year old ammo from the lab bunker.

Name:  1929OPFedWCandRem-UMC-LRN25yds.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  37.5 KBName:  S&WMod37Rem-UMC158LRNat25yds.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  51.2 KBName:  1948M&PTranstional.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  36.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Name:  S&WMod37Rem-UMC158LRNat25yds.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  51.2 KB
    <thread drift>
    There used to be two town cops who were identical twins. At one point in their careers, the only way to tell them apart was that the one brother had rubber bands around his pistol grip.
    </drift>
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Among those of us who use handguns and rifles of similar caliber for small game shooting, common LRN loads damage less meat on edible birds and critters so that you can eat right up to the bullet hole. They are also effective on game up to deer at kitchen garden distance, as they typically do a 180-degree "flip" during the first 6 inches of penetration and then continue base-first, penetrating much deeper than expanding JHPs. Knowledge of animal anatomy and correct shot placement is essential, of course. Solidly shooting though the heart-lung "boiler room" and breaking the off-side shoulder upon exit usually does the job. Solid lead semi-wadcutters provide similar penetration and somewhat better "crush," but without the "flip". But the most important factor favoring LRN ammo is that in many places it is the most commonly distributed and lowest cost factory ammunition available to rural-agricultural users who are neither hobby shooters or hand loaders, and it may be the only ammunition available to people without much money.

Name:  38-spc-6.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  44.1 KB
    I really dislike lrn and fmj for animals. Relatively light bone structures will deflect the bullet where as a swc goes straight through.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    "Why" and "What For" might be two different things. Manufacturers are coin operated, and somebody placed an order.
    True, one reason I posted "inertia" was I figure many folks are just used to them as the "standard target load in .38" or even "standard .38 load."

I hadn't thought about speed of reloading. Food for thought....

Informative as always. Thanks y'all!
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List