Thread: Ranger 110gr +p+

Ranger 110gr +p+

This is the only that I’ve been able to find in stock. How’s it do out of a 4 inch barrel? I live in an apartment so the lighting isn’t to dark and I’m okay obviously with poor barrier penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by APPDMike View Post
    This is the only that I’ve been able to find in stock. How’s it do out of a 4 inch barrel? I live in an apartment so the lighting isn’t to dark and I’m okay obviously with poor barrier penetration.
    Velocity will be 1100+ in a 4" barrel, great expansion but less than 10 inches bare gelatin penetration.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    I find this pretty informative:

https://www.luckygunner.com/38-speci...rounds#geltest

Up at the top you can select 4" GP100 and see results for that particular barrel length.

Quote Originally Posted by APPDMike View Post
    There are modern loads that are objectively better performers, but I’d be fine with that old treasury load in a 4” revolver if it was what I had available.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Ill be the odd man out. I would rather carry nearly any fmj load over that.

https://www.ammoshoponline.com/shop/...ox-limit-copy/

Its even a flat point. It will get you to the vitals at least

Thanks for the feedback. I should be fine with it for now. Then it’s going to with ranger with for my MR73

Historically, when it worked, it tended to work very well. When it didn't work, the results were pretty miserable, lack of penetration being the biggest problem. Back in the day, W-W produced the load with a slightly higher degree of quality control; not an inconsequential consideration for the time. As ballistic testing and information improved, it now appears the load does slightly better from 2-3" barrel lengths (opposed to 4-inch and above) which completely surprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe's daddy View Post
    Historically, when it worked, it tended to work very well. When it didn't work, the results were pretty miserable, lack of penetration being the biggest problem. Back in the day, W-W produced the load with a slightly higher degree of quality control; not an inconsequential consideration for the time. As ballistic testing and information improved, it now appears the load does slightly better from 2-3" barrel lengths (opposed to 4-inch and above) which completely surprised me.
    I don't find that surprising at all, for the design intent was to optimize the load for the 2-1/2" S&W Model 19 in .357 and the later 3" Model 13.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Ill be the odd man out. I would rather carry nearly any fmj load over that.

https://www.ammoshoponline.com/shop/...ox-limit-copy/

Its even a flat point. It will get you to the vitals at least
    Yes. At least to the vitals!

Name:  Norma_FMJ.png
Views: 271
Size:  11.6 KB
    Last edited by pettypace; 06-04-2021 at 12:38 PM.

User Tag List