Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enclosed Emitter RDS and HK USP

Enclosed Emitter RDS and HK USP

I've been considering renewing my romance with the full-size USP, but if I take that step, I'd like to do with an enclosed emitter, either the Holosun 509T or the new P-2 Aimpoint Acro.

I've seen some of the more skilled installers make RMR/SRO/Holosun mounts cut into the slide, but is anyone aware of similar options for the enclosed emitters? I am a fan of getting dots as low into the slide as is reasonably possible, and while I'm not opposed to a P30 host, I would prefer the USP>

I'm not sure if the slide is even compatible, and with Mr. Housel's well-deserved retirement, I wonder if anyone would even be interested.

General thoughts that anyone might have would be very welcome.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    The cut needed for an ACRO or 509T does seem simpler to my uneducated layman eyeballs.

I've got a muse of a USP project and a modern RDS cut was high on the list. I was a fool and didn't prioritize having my slide sent to Mr Housel as I should have, so I'm left without any other option

I'd love to see a 509T cut available for a USP, and I'd pay a pretty silly price for that for no good reason beyond that the heart wants what it wants.

Part of my problem in my firearms enthusiasms is my desire for really unusual sorts of gunsmithing.

I could buy a USP slide, a 509T, maybe a 509T plate, maybe also a direct-milled Glock slide, and drop the whole package off at a smith. “Low as it can go, and don’t be afraid to shorten the firing pin block.”
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

The jagerwerks 509t cut is extremely low which I believe can be done due to the lack of posts and holes so I'm sure you can try to have the same done to a USP, you just need someone daring enough to try.

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    you just need someone daring enough to try.
    Yeah, that's always the big ask.

Before I had the money to really spend on gunsmithing, I used to assume it was a far more experimental and one-off sort pursuit than prudence and reality have dictated.

At a minimum, the extractor and firing pin retaining roll pins would likely need to be shortened along with the slide cut. That shouldn't be a big deal, and at least roll pins are cheap! :-)

Other potential issues I can see are the lightening cuts on the underside of the 9mm slides vs. the .40/357 and .45 versions. Might not be able to cut as low on the 9mm, but that's just my speculation based on what I've heard of RMR cuts for those guns. Thankfully, since it's not like with an RMR and needing threaded holes, I have a feeling this might be less of an issue for the closed emitter options.

I'm highly interested in this subject. Hell, I'm willing to buy a spare USP9 full size slide and send it off as a test subject to anyone we can find that's willing to do this. I'm serious about that. My one requirement is that they must be able to send off for refinishing with Nitride as I consider that mandatory to do it properly (Cerakote need not apply lol). I haven't sought anyone out yet since I don't yet have a full size USP9. That said, based on what I've seen I feel like there should probably be enough material in the USP slide to direct mill for an Acro or 509T without needing an adapter plate like the setup previously available from L&M.

A direct-milled USP9 FS LEM with an Acro P-2 is definitely on my wish list!
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    At a minimum, the extractor and firing pin retaining roll pins would likely need to be shortened along with the slide cut. That shouldn't be a big deal, and at least roll pins are cheap! :-)

Other potential issues I can see are the lightening cuts on the underside of the 9mm slides vs. the .40/357 and .45 versions. Might not be able to cut as low on the 9mm, but that's just my speculation based on what I've heard of RMR cuts for those guns. Thankfully, since it's not like with an RMR and needing threaded holes, I have a feeling this might be less of an issue for the closed emitter options.

I'm highly interested in this subject. Hell, I'm willing to buy a spare USP9 full size slide and send it off as a test subject to anyone we can find that's willing to do this. I'm serious about that. My one requirement is that they must be able to send off for refinishing with Nitride as I consider that mandatory to do it properly (Cerakote need not apply lol). I haven't sought anyone out yet since I don't yet have a full size USP9. That said, based on what I've seen I feel like there should probably be enough material in the USP slide to direct mill for an Acro or 509T without needing an adapter plate like the setup previously available from L&M.

A direct-milled USP9 FS LEM with an Acro P-2 is definitely on my wish list!
    I’m very interested in this as well: 1) I lust after a USP Expert with a red dot, and 2) have a pile of P226s and P229s that I delayed in getting to L&M and missed out on. I figure anyone who can do a USP can do a P-series SIG. If you find someone willing to do the work let me know, and I’ll do the same.

I had a 229 milled for an RMR by Robert Burke. Reckon you can ask him about a USP.

I just reached out to one company, but also asked about the same for a P30 as well. I'll update when I get a response. I'm sure there will be a few NO's and a few providers I'll have to ask before finding one that's game. It's an unusual ask with potential for failure/destruction of the slide due to gauging things like tolerance for cut depth before hitting the firing pin channel or other surfaces, so it's understandable.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Wow, that's all great to hear. If anyone hits on a smith able and willing, please do be sure to update the thread!

User Tag List