Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eval of ballistic protection of popular shooting glasses

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    Car teach did a few blog posts a while back that did a similar test. To simulate ricochets he shot a 22 at a metal plates at an angle and put the glasses where they would catch the spray. The cheap glasses stood up to that level of abuse no problem.

http://carteach0.blogspot.com/2012/0...-that.html?m=1

So I'd probably consider them good enough for most range use, but with the mil rates ones a step up if you want the extra protection. Especially if you're shooting in a less controlled environment.
    I esp like his point about eyepro driving. A relative suffered pretty serioius damage to both eyes from an airbag deploying not long ago.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    Car teach did a few blog posts a while back that did a similar test. To simulate ricochets he shot a 22 at a metal plates at an angle and put the glasses where they would catch the spray. The cheap glasses stood up to that level of abuse no problem.

http://carteach0.blogspot.com/2012/0...-that.html?m=1

So I'd probably consider them good enough for most range use, but with the mil rates ones a step up if you want the extra protection. Especially if you're shooting in a less controlled environment.
    I read you on your conclusion. It's a logicalone for sure. But, for me at least, I feel like if I can have the highest rated eye pro for a reasonable expenditure, and given the optical clarity and other protective features (i.e. UV protection etc) are up to snuff for me, then I'll go that way.

It's the same reason I always purchased, and wore racing helmets when riding my motorcycles... My head was worth that expense. As one who has vision issues, and may one day lose his vision altogether, I would like to protect whatever I can the best way I can. Just my .02
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

Quote Originally Posted by Corlissimo View Post
    I read you on your conclusion. It's a logicalone for sure. But, for me at least, I feel like if I can have the highest rated eye pro for a reasonable expenditure, and given the optical clarity and other protective features (i.e. UV protection etc) are up to snuff for me, then I'll go that way.

It's the same reason I always purchased, and wore racing helmets when riding my motorcycles... My head was worth that expense. As one who has vision issues, and may one day lose his vision altogether, I would like to protect whatever I can the best way I can. Just my .02
    I definitely agree they're better, and I should probably pick up a pair. But looking at that test, I have no problem with, for example, ranges that hand out basic impact resistant glasses for rentals.

I'd especially consider the mil ones a better investment for anyone doing 3-gun, trap, or hunting with Dick Cheney, where there's a higher chance of something more than brass or powder getting in your eyes.

Interesting test - thanks for posting. Disappointing results from the Oakleys. I'd be curious to see how Rudy Project measured up. I thought I had read they were seeking APEL approval.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Corlissimo View Post
    I sure didn't pick my Wiley X SG-1 birth control goggles for their sexy good looks.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I sure didn't pick my Wiley X SG-1 birth control goggles for their sexy good looks.
    Geeky looking chicks can still be uber hot.

The hot libarian look always refers to females, there is no male counterpart.

Just sayin.

Those are totally ninja.

I'm very happy with the ESS Crossbows I shot with today. Clear and comfortable. The survey is running 70/30 that they don't look like geezer sunglasses.

I hit the link again and it showed the price up to $90 for the double set however.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by blr View Post
    Those are totally ninja.
    I've been told that since those were pretty much the default general issue eye-pro, they mostly proclaimed "I haven't been able to get my hands on a pair of Oakleys yet."
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I've been told that since those were pretty much the default general issue eye-pro, they mostly proclaimed "I haven't been able to get my hands on a pair of Oakleys yet."
    Yes the default in 2004. SG1's were often abandoned for the uber sexy XL1 which had slightly less goggle look to them, but suffered from the constant sweat induced foam detachment and fogging problem. I still have both pairs in a drawer if you need spare parts.

User Tag List