Thread: I need an 11-48 receiver fixed

Question I need an 11-48 receiver fixed

I paid $100 for an old 1148 years ago. Its been a project thats almost done. I thought I was done but I couldn't get the rear sight to stay on.
    I
    Now that I have a couple extra holes drilled and tapped, then stripped I guess Ill ask for help.

I have the lpa sight somewhere. Where should I send it to get it finished?

I've done a bit of research into getting a Remington shotgun action drilled and tapped. Apparently they're thin and you have to know what you're doing.

All roads led back to DaMar Gunsmiths in Weedsport, NY, but I never did the project.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Art's Guns

I've spend some time working on a couple Remington Model 11s and did a deep dive into parts, videos, out of print manuals etc.
    Ended up watching a bunch of very helpful videos from this shop:
    https://artsgunshop.com

To my hobbyist eye, the refinishing they do looks to be good quality but I've never had them do any work myself.

I would ask my gunsmith if he can help that .

Just emailed Sokol if he could weld an aridus mount on it.

Name:  IMG_20210810_191842.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  16.8 KB

I have two 11-48s, one was my father's and the other my grandfather's. They both have a lot of sentimental value but I have not found either to be reliable in operation no matter what ammunition I tried or whether I used the "Heavy" or "Light" side of the ring. I would advise you vet the gun seriously before you put too much money into it so as not to be disappointed. If it runs with the load you want to use it's a winner.

My neighbor the gunsmith hated to see one of those coming. There were five different recoil springs on the master parts list and getting the right one was a matter of luck. Remington apparently couldn't make them work, either.
    Only thing he hated worse was a Model 10 or 29 pump.
    He had gotten used to Brownings and Winchesters coming in with the internal parts in a cigar box.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Sokol recommend a mesa tactical rail.

I grabbed this sight instead.
    Name:  IMG_20210903_004047.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  32.6 KB

The screws grab but I don't trust the thin metal. I'm thinking about using the type of nuts used on kydex holsters after opening up the holes a little more.

Then using jb weld for good measure

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    My neighbor the gunsmith hated to see one of those coming.
    My FIL had an 11-48 that he bought new some time in the 1950's, and it made a couple of trips to the LGS's gunsmith before it had a catastrophic failure; at the 'smith's insistence, the local LGS then sent it in to Remington. Remington simply sent him one of the then new-fangled 1100s, which he ended up using for the rest of his days.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List