Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Aurora, CO "Dark Knight Rises" shooting - 14 dead, 50+ wounded 7/20/12

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Local connection to the story:
    http://www.ksat.com/news/SA-woman-ki...5/-/index.html
    A young lady from here was among the victims. Apparently she also narrowly escaped a shooting at a a mall in Toronto a few months ago. Thoughts and prayers to her family and those of all the victims.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    I hate it when bad things happen to good people. It offends me at the cellular level.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Ahhh, this is why no one resisted; no one had a gun.

The guy chose the right place to attack in CO, b/c no one can carry in this theater (scroll to post #57):

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...theater-4.html
    Not exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post

Keep in mind that in Colorado, it doesn't matter if signs are posted prohibiting CCW on private property (obviously this is not the same as at restricted government locations) as they hold no basis in CO law. If discovered CCW, the worst that can happen is you is getting charged with trespassing if you don't immediately depart if asked to do so by the mangement/owner. The only way to stop law abiding citizens from carrying in CO is to have basically airport security at every entrance. Of course this would not have stopped this incident since the perpetrator reportedly jammed open a locked exit door...
    twitter.com/ddbaxte

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Ahhh, this is why no one resisted; no one had a gun.

The guy chose the right place to attack in CO, b/c no one can carry in this theater (scroll to post #57):

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...theater-4.html
    Like Doc said...what the theater doesn't know won't hurt me.

Midnight showing on a weeknight? How many of the CCW mindset would be in that situation in the first place? A good percentage of that already small population is home sleeping soundly in their beds.

I do carry at the matinees though.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

While it may violate some illogical nanny corporate business policy, that is not the same as being ILLEGAL, as in prohibited and punishable by force of LAW.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Yep, law is the same here in TX. I don't even notice the signs anymore unless they're the legit 30.06 sign.
    This may be a thread of its own, but a question : normally being close to the exit seems like a good idea, but in this case people closest to the door were probably the first victims. I'm sure there's more than one door, but still- where do you think the best place to be is in a situation like this one?
    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with you guys, but I'd wager to bet that the average Joe gun owner a) doesn't quite know his rights, b) if he does, doesn't want to fight it out in case he gets an activist style management team or officer showing up on the scene and c) doesn't want to lose his right or his property.

Am I wrong??
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

I like to be in a non-descript corner with nothing behind me except a wall.

In addition, I try to avoid crowds, drunks, "partyers", and other potential troublesome situations.

Everytime I go out to a movie theater, mall, restaurant, school, concert, church, etc... I assume an active shooting may occur and prepare accordingly; if it does not happen that trip, I am pleasantly surprised and enjoy the rest of my day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Muhlenkamp View Post
    I'm thinking about what I could/should do if I were there during the attack. Assuming you have a light and a sidearm, now what? Crowded theater, dark, smoke, flashing lights, screams, pushing, shoving, etc. Do you try to get close enough to make a well aimed shot? What about your spouse and kids that are with you? From what we know of the scenario, what do you do?
    This one is/was as bad as one can imagine, between all negative factors you'd mentioned, likely near-impossibility of a clean look, the fact that the coward wore an IBA.
    If I had family with me, I'd do exactly what TC said.
    The jackass had an AK and a shotgun. If I'd recognized that, I doubt I'd venture to get close enough with a pistol.
    My take is that it was almost a no-win situation for any CCW holder. Somebody had to be close enough to see the killer and recognize the situation, not be shot by him in a first place, decide to take a head shot, and make it, all in low-light, with tear gas and commotion around. The demands on situational awareness and analysis, decision making, marksmanship skills and pure luck is too high here, IMO.

The theater bans open carry, but does not ban CCW. Very sad event indeed.

User Tag List