Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Aurora, CO "Dark Knight Rises" shooting - 14 dead, 50+ wounded 7/20/12

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Does anyone know if CCW is permitted at that theater?
    I had the same question and found this when searching: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...earms-allowed/

I've heard of TTAG am not a regular reader of that blog and frankly, am ignorant as to whether it is a quality site or not.

I tried looking at Cinemark's website but could not find any mention of rules or policies.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    The speculation/retraction game starts:

http://www.nationalreview.com/media/video/310127
    Jesus.

Is there nothing that is beyond politicization these days? That just disgusts me. People on both ends of the political spectrum, most of whom couldn't spell "Sarajevo" if you spotted them everything up to the "j", are absolutely champing at the bit for a civil war.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Jesus.

Is there nothing that is beyond politicization these days? That just disgusts me. People on both ends of the political spectrum, most of whom couldn't spell "Sarajevo" if you spotted them everything up to the "j", are absolutely champing at the bit for a civil war.
    Having been to that part of the world several times in a previous life, anyone who wishes for a Sarajevo (or CAPAJEBO in Serbian) style conflict is bonkers. They have no idea what they're wishing for.

Bad guys and psychos do not respect rules, laws, morals, or any other outside regulation. You can't legislate away evil. This is why the individual right to CCW and be able to protect yourself and your loved ones is critically important.

Keep in mind that in Colorado, it doesn't matter if signs are posted prohibiting CCW on private property (obviously this is not the same as at restricted government locations) as they hold no basis in CO law. If discovered CCW, the worst that can happen to you is getting charged with trespassing if you don't immediately depart if asked to do so by the mangement/owner. The only way to stop law abiding citizens from carrying in CO is to have basically airport security at every entrance. Of course this would not have stopped this incident since the perpetrator reportedly jammed open a locked exit door...
    Last edited by DocGKR; 07-20-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Jesus.

We have no clue just how bad a civil war would be. Just picture a column of tanks rolling down the main drag of Broad Ripple. How is that going to work out for everyone?

Question for the Group

I'm thinking about what I could/should do if I were there during the attack. Assuming you have a light and a sidearm, now what? Crowded theater, dark, smoke, flashing lights, screams, pushing, shoving, etc. Do you try to get close enough to make a well aimed shot? What about your spouse and kids that are with you? From what we know of the scenario, what do you do?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Muhlenkamp View Post
    I'm thinking about what I could/should do if I were there during the attack. Assuming you have a light and a sidearm, now what? Crowded theater, dark, smoke, flashing lights, screams, pushing, shoving, etc. Do you try to get close enough to make a well aimed shot? What about your spouse and kids that are with you? From what we know of the scenario, what do you do?
    If I was with family my first concern would be placing myself between the danger and my family. To get to them he'd have to get through me first. That will either resolve the problem on his end or, alternately, signal the end of my ability to impact events in this plane of existence. It would be nice to think that I could hustle them out of there before it got really bad but the simple truth is that the mental inertia people experience in events like this is nigh unto impossible to shake them out of in time to make a real difference. If I'm at the back and he's concentrating on the front, maybe it would work to get them out. If I'm nearer to the bad guy than the exit then the best shot I'd probably have is to go at him as aggressively as possible because there's no way I can hustle a bunch of confused people out of the theater faster than the speed of that guy's bullets.

I always pay attention to who is coming and going during the movies. It has always been theater employees or patrons going about mundane business. A guy kitted up like that throwing gas canisters would tend to stick out.

I would imagine that during the initial moments of the attack there was a mass paralysis among the patrons at the theater as the bad man began his work. The prepared individual processes what is happening faster than the unprepared one and can use that moment of paralysis to at least take the initiative away from the bad guy.

Once it erupts into a gunfight...yeah. There's going to be some confusion. That's why we train, right? To recognize the bad soon enough to let us be proactive enough to limit the damage and to have the skill to actually make good on the opportunities presented to us to stop the problem before it reaches horrific levels, and to deal with all the distractions present when you're trying to dispatch someone who wants to kill you. I'm much better prepared for him than he is for me.

A group of PF.com regulars got together and went to see a movie a while back. If that group had been in Colorado this would have been a very different story.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 07-20-2012 at 01:04 PM.

I'm still perplexed that in a CO movie theater, NO ONE had a CCW and NO ONE resisted. Perhaps we'll find out that I was wrong or perhaps we'll find that the plan was executed so well that no one could fire upon him.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Local connection to the story:
    http://www.ksat.com/news/SA-woman-ki...5/-/index.html
    A young lady from here was among the victims. Apparently she also narrowly escaped a shooting at a a mall in Toronto a few months ago. Thoughts and prayers to her family and those of all the victims.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Ahhh, this is why no one resisted; no one had a gun.

The guy chose the right place to attack in CO, b/c no one can carry in this theater (scroll to post #57):

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...theater-4.html
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

User Tag List