Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What gun for young shooters?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    For me, a blued 4.62" Ruger Single Six convertible is reasonably close in "ambience."
    If someone competent takes it apart and cleans up/deburrs/smooths all the pieces so they don't grind themselves apart, there really shouldn't be enough .22LR in the world to wear one out.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Are they much smaller than a single six?
    They are the same size.

Site Supporter
    The op asked about a double action .22 revolver for his child. Hi-Standard made the Sentinel which was a well made and accurate .22. The Double Nine was the same gun except for western styling. These guns were made in very large numbers, and even now they remain sleepers. As a kid I fired a truck load of ammo through one of these. But quality slipped in the last few years. Buy an older one.

I urge the op to use air BB or pellet handguns as training tools. My father started me off at age 11 with a pump up Crossman pellet pistol. At age 14 he turned me loose with real handguns and as much government ammo that I could shoot.

The problem with the Wrangler is the notch in the frame sights. The Single-Six has adjustable sights.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    You brought up the 500 lb gorilla no longer in the room: the H&R/IJ line of "popularly priced" DA revolvers. They were the gateway to handgun shooting for an awful lot of people. Mostly utilitarian guns, they were also useful as trainers... any interested kid could learn about safety, marksmanship and gun care with one of these, and nobody's old man thought they were worth too much to let the younger set mess with. Walking the tracks or along the river on a sunny Summer day with a borrowed H&R are memories I treasure.

(High-dollar firearms are conspicuously absent from the best shooting/hunting experiences I have had. Go figure.)

Those revolvers were good guns for the money, but their relatively unimpressive metallurgy made a lot of them them a bit like the one-hoss shay if used hard: they loosened up, broke thin or brittle components and wore down almost simultaneously. Few people I knew considered them worth repairing if the cost was anywhere close to something new, and they are now kind of hard to find around here in decent shape.

For me, a blued 4.62" Ruger Single Six convertible is reasonably close in "ambience."
    And the old H&Rs were inexpensive enough to gift to people: the only pistol in the house in my growing up years was a western-style H&R .22 a coworker gifted my dad with prior to a cross-country move. I learned on that old gun, all my siblings and many of the grandkids with an interest in shooting did. But there was a plastic or nylon stirrup in the grip frame that the bottom of the mainspring seated in, and it eventually broke. Don’t know if the old man found or fabricated a replacement, but if not, the old gun will misfire a lot.

When I saw a mini Vaquero-style single-six, it reminded me so much of that old H&R, I just had to have it. My daughter loves it and it must go on every shooting outing, or she can’t be bothered to go.

Ruger SR22
    Henry .22 youth lever action, with a trimmed to fit stock. (an extra stock was like $40. I paid more than that for a d00d to cut the spare and fit a butt pad.)
    kids LOVE the lever action... seems to call to an inner Cowboy we all seem to have.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

My daughter's first shots with a handgun were at age 9 with my 1948 K-22. To make it easier for her to handle the revolver and hit targets, she shot from the bench and in SA. As she was still learning the safety rules, I stood behind her and cocked the hammer for each shot. The goal was to have her focus on the front sight and hit the target. Since paper targets can be boring and we were not shooting for groups, her targets were the "Shoot-N-C" type in bright yellow. She eventually learned to shoot SA and, much later, DA. Hand size is a big deal in DA, and her pre-teen hands were too small.

If an older K-22 can be found, it would make an outstanding first handgun. The longer sight radius compared to something like a two-inch Kit Gun (M34) makes it easier to see sight alignment and get on target. A four-inch M34 would be ideal, but those tend to be pricey. The older Ruger SP101 in .22 LR would need trigger work as the "out of the box" trigger is stiff at best. The newer ones may have better triggers.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If someone competent takes it apart and cleans up/deburrs/smooths all the pieces so they don't grind themselves apart, there really shouldn't be enough .22LR in the world to wear one out.
    The majority of the H&R/IJ guns I had experience with had been rode hard and put away wet, and were sort of fiddly to work on if an enthusiastic amateur went too deep. To be honest, a lot of firearms were really treated abominably in that time/place when I look back on it... not really a golden age of gun care. I was one of the few kids in my group to have the crazy notion that you should clean a gun and wipe it down (that was due to a favorite uncle), but even I was pretty clueless about the finer points of maintenance.

The fact that those were still the days of keeping a coffee can of loose .22 ammo in the barn or the back porch didn't help any. "They're okay... just wipe the crud off."

Those old revolvers were what they were, yet they did all right. Too bad they disappeared.

As I said on another thread, Ruger Single Sixes and standard autos seem to have generally held up well over time. I should really get one of the former to fuss over before I am too old to do so.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter

What gun for young shooters?

My father taught me by starting with a .22 based on his belief that a .22 would be respected, but that people do not respect the capability of airguns to cause injury. Based on some of what I saw from a few of my friends as a pre-teen and in my early teens, he was correct. I am following the same practice with my kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    My father taught me by starting with a .22 based on his belief that a .22 would be respected, but that people do not respect the capability of airguns to cause injury. Based on some of what I saw from a few of my friends as a pre-teen and in my early teens, he was correct. I am following the same practice with my kids.
    Your father was probably correct about that for the majority of the population. I was guilty of it not because my parents were deficient in common sense, but because I was overly influenced by my peers. Not long ago, my granddaughter made her first introductory shots with an airgun in a supervised venue, as the lack of noise & recoil were advantageous. After that, an appropriately-sized .22 was supplied.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Your father was a wise man. The things I saw other pre-teen and early teens do with air guns were fundamentally f'ed up and I knew it then.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List