Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What gun for young shooters?

I’m glad this didn’t show up when I was in my “buy every .22 I can get my hands on” phase. Late production H&R 999
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    A 3-inch LCRx in .22 would be a heck of a good option. He could drag it around the woods and never need to feel bad about any oopsies that befell the antique. And the trigger is indeed sweet.
    So you’re a fan of the 3” LCRx? I’m looking at that or the 4” SP101 to replace my Model 63 for general .22 DA revolver duties.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I love my M17 6" more than any other gun than I own. Told my gunsmith to "take the trigger weight down to the minimum to work reliably."

But I'm a 47 year old 6'1" 240 lb human.

I would let him try some different options when he is ripe for training, then find a gunsmith who can perfect it.

My gut says: you might do well with a LCR. It may not even need a trigger job.

Don't let him shoot it SA. That rule helped me become the DA shooter I am today. Tell him it's cheating, and only slobs do it.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    So you’re a fan of the 3” LCRx? I’m looking at that or the 4” SP101 to replace my Model 63 for general .22 DA revolver duties.
    That's a conundrum. I haven't shot an SP or J frame rimfire. The internets all say the rimfire versions have to have heavier springs to maintain reliable ignition.

My line on the LCR series is it's made for concealment, because you don't want to have to look at it, or be seen carrying it. But the one in the rental case at my local indoor square range sure does have a nice DA trigger for an out of the box gun. As a relatively inexpensive but highly functional gun for a kid to neglect and abuse outdoors, it might be perfect.

I really wish Ruger would redesign the SP and/or GP action using the geometry concepts applied in the LCR series. It seems straightforward enough that it ought to be possible, but I haven't modeled it in CAD or anything. My guess is there's an engineer who has, but it goes nowhere with product planning.

Realistically, I'm more likely to buy a no-lock 317 (which is fairly unlikely) because I like to look at guns, too. Also, I've demonstrated that I can make a J frame trigger serviceable.

I dipped my toe into the SA waters last year and quickly found out that I'm just more of a DA kind of guy.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

As a kid growing up

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    The op asked about a double action .22 revolver for his child. Hi-Standard made the Sentinel which was a well made and accurate .22. The Double Nine was the same gun except for western styling. These guns were made in very large numbers, and even now they remain sleepers. As a kid I fired a truck load of ammo through one of these. But quality slipped in the last few years. Buy an older one.

I urge the op to use air BB or pellet handguns as training tools. My father started me off at age 11 with a pump up Crossman pellet pistol. At age 14 he turned me loose with real handguns and as much government ammo that I could shoot.

The problem with the Wrangler is the notch in the frame sights. The Single-Six has adjustable sights.
    My first "long gun" was a Daisy BB gun, lever action. We also had a neat "shoot the duck" animated target machine. The target machine was made of sheet metal that was heavy enough to stop a BB. The back stop was angled to trap the BB. Of course a ricochet was possible if you hit other than the back stop. The paper ducks would fall backward if hit by a BB. As the ducks flowed from left to right, any knocked over ducks would be uprighted by the machine. You could shoot inside or out. We usually shot upstairs in the large room where I had my model trains too.

I thoroughly enjoyed this set-up and have fond memories of it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    My son is almost 3 I have a 4" m64 for when he's ready. I have a single six and a 22/45.
    Hey, I'm a father to 3 boys. For the 22/45, I definitely recommend a Tandemkross Halo charging ring. Little hands have issues with the pinch grip to run the bolt. They have more fun when they get to load and make ready too. Comes off easy when they are older, and goes back on just as easy when you need an "old man gun" or are injured.

https://www.tandemkross.com/halo-Cha...%A2_p_294.html

Name:  product_markii_halo_ongun_cropped.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  26.3 KB

User Tag List