Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cecil, Paul, and Craig Are Pushers

Quote Originally Posted by oss117 View Post
    I don't think they're pushers though I can't speak for Paul. Cecil and Craig just pull back the curtain as to what protecting yourself really looks like. And then it's up to the individual to see how and if they man (or woman) up to it. It's the metal of the individual that matters.

OP, congrats on the purple belt. It's not a small accomplishment.
    You know, that's a good reminder that I should brush up one some of my self-defense targeted techniques. My gym has kind of a "competition-oriented, but traditionally-influenced" kind of culture to it. We don't train with strikes practically ever, but we don't do a lot of berimbolos and worm guard either. My instructor's philosophy tends to be that if you can handle yourself in competition the "right" way -- get on top, smash people, grab something and twist -- you'll be in good shape if you get in a fight. I haven't gotten in enough fights to argue that one way or the other... but I also haven't gone live with gloves on in some time (or been the range at all... yuck ammo prices).

I certainly started this with the intent to learn how to defend myself... but ended up enjoying the art for its own sake so much I stopped thinking about it too much. Of course, it didn't help that it's a *lot* easier with kids to go to a 5 am class every day while they sleep than to try to make it to the range in prime "your turn!" family time. New goal: set some time aside for the original point of all this.

2nd goal -- follow the ECQC schedule like a hawk so I can register before the class fills up next time ;-)

First off congrats. My Son is enrolled at a local gym and has had a class with Cecil. He has just upped his times per week at the gym. I have quoted multiple comments you made and texted those to him. I think he will appreciate the insights.

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    I took a *single* grappling course with them at a PEP almost seven years ago. JUST ONE. But like a dealer in a Very Special Episode of a 90's sitcom, they hooked me.

I don't know how many $$$s in GIs, rashguards, private lessons, and instructional videos later -- I've spent more time hugging other dudes than I have my wife -- I got my purple belt Saturday, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Thanks for being an awesome influence, guys.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    First off congrats. My Son is enrolled at a local gym and has had a class with Cecil. He has just upped his times per week at the gym. I have quoted multiple comments you made and texted those to him. I think he will appreciate the insights.
    That is awesome for your son! I hope he keeps at it!

Just wanted to drop in and give thanks again for all of you. I got my brown belt yesterday and I'm still kind of in shock.

I know I've dropped off in my activity in this forum, but it still holds a special place in my heart for getting me into this stuff. Stay safe, everybody, and keep training!

Site Supporter
    Just wanted to drop in and give thanks again for all of you. I got my brown belt yesterday and I'm still kind of in shock.

I know I've dropped off in my activity in this forum, but it still holds a special place in my heart for getting me into this stuff. Stay safe, everybody, and keep training!
    Damned impressive brother! Congratulations on the brown belt...be sure you pick up your complementary injury at the table before you leave tho...

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Congrats man that’s a huge accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Damned impressive brother! Congratulations on the brown belt...be sure you pick up your complementary injury at the table before you leave tho...

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    I was wearing a knee brace when I accepted it, lol. Stupid meniscus...

If anyone is starting this -- LEARN HOW TO SHOOT PROPERLY. I beat the crap out of my knees from bad imitations of wrestling moves and just a complete misunderstanding of how fundamental movements were supposed to work.

Or any more I'm just digging deep into Greco Roman stuff and saving my knees entirely.

I was wearing a knee brace when I accepted it, lol. Stupid meniscus...

If anyone is starting this -- LEARN HOW TO SHOOT PROPERLY. I beat the crap out of my knees from bad imitations of wrestling moves and just a complete misunderstanding of how fundamental movements were supposed to work.

Or any more I'm just digging deep into Greco Roman stuff and saving my knees entirely.
    The older I get the less and less I shoot. Arm drags, foot sweeps, trips, head snaps and body locks are the way.

Hell yeah, congrats. That’s a lot of dedicated hours getting broken down mentally and physically. No small feat; Earned not Given.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    The older I get the less and less I shoot. Arm drags, foot sweeps, trips, head snaps and body locks are the way.
    Over covid, a buddy and I trained in the basement for 18 months, and thought we'd teach ourselves to wrestle. After like 3 months of trying to drill Jeff Jordan and Cary Kolat videos... I've still only ever managed to hit like one traditional double or single leg in live sparring...

So I just gave up and embraced the kind of upper body/greco stuff you're talking about and am at least no longer embarrassing myself :-)

User Tag List