Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: HK Slimline Striker Pistol

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'm in the camp that likes the paddle release. It wouldn't cause me to not buy a gun I otherwise wanted if it was only available with a button, but I'll choose the paddle if it's an option.

I activate it with my middle finger, keeping my trigger finger in index where it belongs. This keeps widely-spread points of contact on the gun in my strong hand grip, even if a slight shift is required, and prevents sweeping across the trigger with the trigger finger between index, releasing the mag, and back to index. Very natural and automatic after awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    It’s a thing. I sold my P30 after a few hundred rounds because I would dump the mag under recoil about every 20 rounds or so. Same thing when I’ve put an extended HK45 mag release on a USPc or P2000. The smaller USP/P2000 nub releases give me no trouble, but any other HK paddle isn’t an option for me.
    It's critically important if an HK45c mag release is to be used on a USP frame that it be properly fitted. Did a writeup with pics of how and why a couple years ago.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post929914
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    No. The connecting piece between the two lobes is internal on P30 and is external on USP and P2000. Not sure what's more or less desirable. You hand is few mm higher on a gun with P30. That said, no other gun gave me as raging "Glock knuckle" as P30 did when I tried to go really high on a grip, while P2000 was just fine.
    Interesting. I shot a Glock in competition for a few years. My Glock knuckle was so bad, I’d have to file it down with an emery type nail file. When I switched to the P30L, it was no longer an issue. (It never goes away, but it’s much less pronounced).

Since we are making HK wish lists I would buy a striker fired P2000 in a heart beat. I never had the time or patience to dedicate to the LEM and never convinced myself to try a V3 P2K. I’m really tempted though. I really wouldn’t need a single stack if a striker fired version was out there. I like the flat sides of the P2000 a lot more than the VP9/P30. I also like paddle releases. I’ve dumped magazines out of a lot of button release pistols. I’ve never done that with a paddle release.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    Since we are making HK wish lists I would buy a striker fired P2000 in a heart beat. I never had the time or patience to dedicate to the LEM and never convinced myself to try a V3 P2K. I’m really tempted though. I really wouldn’t need a single stack if a striker fired version was out there. I like the flat sides of the P2000 a lot more than the VP9/P30. I also like paddle releases. I’ve dumped magazines out of a lot of button release pistols. I’ve never done that with a paddle release.

The P2000 is a good size. I think a striker P2000 would be really terrorize the Glock 19.

But they would have to make it a P2000 and not a P30c. The grip on those are so ergonomic that they’re hard to get a good index with. Flat sides are best.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Interesting. I shot a Glock in competition for a few years. My Glock knuckle was so bad, I’d have to file it down with an emery type nail file. When I switched to the P30L, it was no longer an issue. (It never goes away, but it’s much less pronounced).
    I thought that P30 flipped too much and struggled with that. Then I saw how high Ernest held his and tried go really high on it too. The web of my hand wasn't below the tang, it was below the hammer slot in the frame. That pulled my middle finger up across the paddle but the flip got better.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I thought that P30 flipped too much and struggled with that. Then I saw how high Ernest held his and tried go really high on it too. The web of my hand wasn't below the tang, it was below the hammer slot in the frame. That pulled my middle finger up across the paddle but the flip got better.
    I use a really high grip. In fact, I had to replace the slide stop with a P30S slide stop, which is more like a 1911 slide stop. Not sure why HK felt the need to Sig out their slide stops when they were just find on the USP and P2000 pistols.

As for recoil, I didn't notice any more felt recoil over my previous GLOCK 34, perhaps a bit less. Of course, my current production Shadow 2 is worlds softer, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I use a really high grip. In fact, I had to replace the slide stop with a P30S slide stop, which is more like a 1911 slide stop. Not sure why HK felt the need to Sig out their slide stops when they were just find on the USP and P2000 pistols.

As for recoil, I didn't notice any more felt recoil over my previous GLOCK 34, perhaps a bit less. Of course, my current production Shadow 2 is worlds softer, in my opinion.
    I either used S slide stops or just cut down and thinned out regular stops pretty much from day 31 or so.

Not recoil, muzzle flip. I know, the wisdom is not how high they flip but how fast they come down but I didn't enjoy the arc of sight travel on P30. Tracking the sight was like sailing in choppy waters. A few years into my P30 run I started to shoot Elite II from time to time and the difference in sight behavior was marked. After 5-6 years I switched for Beretta for games and carry.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I either used S slide stops or just cut down and thinned out regular stops pretty much from day 31 or so.

Not recoil, muzzle flip. I know, the wisdom is not how high they flip but how fast they come down but I didn't enjoy the arc of sight travel on P30. Tracking the sight was like sailing in choppy waters. A few years into my P30 run I started to shoot Elite II from time to time and the difference in sight behavior was marked. After 5-6 years I switched for Beretta for games and carry.
    I started my production journey with an Elite 2. Great pistol for sure.

Cutting down the slide stop wasn't allowed back in the day, but fortunately you were allowed to use one from a similar model. These days, it seems like anything goes.

Site Supporter
    My fingers are too short to reliably/comfortably actuate a button OR a paddle without a grip pivot. So, for me, a button or a paddle makes no difference: I'm changing my grip either way.

But if you can push a button from your firing grip, I could see how you'd want that option. And I think a button would be reachable for more people than a paddle; the paddles on my P99 are a farther reach than basically all the button releases on my pistols. So, from that standpoint alone, I think a button probably makes more sense for more people.

I was mostly kidding about the heel release. But, that said...

Name:  CD29661B-5948-4CEC-A4B7-48D4BEDEE830.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  35.4 KB

I feel like a heel release might make it easier to strip a mag with your support hand, while keeping your strong-hand firing grip: Pivot the slide to right, actuate the catch, strip/retain the mag, put it back in, over-hand the slide back into battery. And, a heel catch is probably the least likely to release the mag on accident.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I activate it with my middle finger, keeping my trigger finger in index where it belongs. This keeps widely-spread points of contact on the gun in my strong hand grip, even if a slight shift is required, and prevents sweeping across the trigger with the trigger finger between index, releasing the mag, and back to index. Very natural and automatic after awhile.
    This is how I do it as well. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I now find it very intuitive and natural. The shift in grip is negligible (I'm not sure there is one, I really don't notice it, and don't have to adjust my grip after inserting a new mag); comparison to a button really depends which button we're talking about.

I like paddles, but it's not a deal maker/breaker.
    Grab your gun and bring in the cat.

User Tag List