Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grippng small pistol: sights not lifting vertically

Try adding pressure to the firearm by rotating your arm up at the elbow. The additional pressure from camming your elbow up should add a fair amount of friction.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Flight567 View Post
    Try adding pressure to the firearm by rotating your arm up at the elbow. The additional pressure from camming your elbow up should add a fair amount of friction.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    I do shoot that way but still have difficulty hanging on to the gun. My wrists are also cammed forward but still have difficulty holding on to the gun. I didn’t even know what Glock knuckle was until I shot the 43x. Never got it from a G17.🙂 Maybe the rubber decal grips will help but it’ll be a while
    before I find out.

Carlo, I put 30 rounds through mine today and the dot tracks vertically enough for me not to care to do any better. I shot it like crap though, pushing on a gun way too much which is what happens when I shoot small guns at pace. I was only planning to shoot 10 but had to go 20 more to fix it. 12 yards at 8 inch steel, .60 splits were fairly comfortable and .30 was pushing it.
    I don't do anything special with my grip other than gripping hard with support hand, with two specific areas of interest being under trigger guard and at the back of a grip.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Carlo, I put 30 rounds through mine today and the dot tracks vertically enough for me not to care to do any better. I shot it like crap though, pushing on a gun way too much which is what happens when I shoot small guns at pace. I was only planning to shoot 10 but had to go 20 more to fix it. 12 yards at 8 inch steel, .60 splits were fairly comfortable and .30 was pushing it.
    I don't do anything special with my grip other than gripping hard with support hand, with two specific areas of interest being under trigger guard and at the back of a grip.
    Do you consider the 26 to be a big small gun, small big gun, or something else? Thoughts on it vs the 48/43X.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Thanks, YVK. I was watching a few videos, paying attention to how the gun lifts. One was of GJM's wife shooting a box stock 43X and how the gun lifted for her is close to what I'm experiencing. Of course, her grip stayed intact the whole time. Another video was from MAC's YouTube channel where his young daughter shot the 43X. She has to reset her support hand between shots which is what frequently happens to me.

I've been spending ten minutes daily on dry practice with the 43X, paying attention to how my support hand contacts the gun. I can feel firm contact under the trigger guard but the back of the grip is where I might need to tweak things a bit. Will continue to adjust my grip to see if I can improve contact on the rear of the gun with the support hand.
    Last edited by CarloMNL; 05-25-2021 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Do you consider the 26 to be a big small gun, small big gun, or something else?
    I consider it an adorable chunky piglet. I myself love it.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Thoughts on it vs the 48/43X.
    Only one of them got to be a GM and go to Nationals.

Seriously, if I make to the range on Saturday, shooting them back to back is a part of a plan. I don't think there will be surprises. The only question that I have if the Enigma can negate the concealment advantages of 43x/48.

Quote Originally Posted by CarloMNL View Post
    \
    I've been spending ten minutes daily on dry practice with the 43X, paying attention to how my support hand contacts the gun. I can feel firm contact under the trigger guard but the back of the grip is where I might need to tweak things a bit.
    I myself believe in a uniformal grip from all sides. If you pinch really hard under trigger, you can sometimes feel that your palm slips forward. If you squeeze hard with the base of your palm, your index finger can slip back. If I can feel both solidly contacting, I think I got my wraparound grip OK.

In addition, google late Ron Avery's stuff on pliable hands. Sometimes gripping too hard is counterproductive; I think more so with small guns but I don't that for sure. Try gripping less hard one day and see what happens.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

@CarloMNL

This is a P365 with XL grip so kind of same size as a G43x.
    Shooting full power Speer Lawman

@GJM
    @YVK
    @Clusterfrack

I just started seeing 0.12 splits with my Shadow 2 so I was surprised to see them with the P365....

Amazing! My splits on a 17 are around the .20 mark. On a 43x, closer to .75-.80 at this time. Still working on it. 🙂

I myself believe in a uniformal grip from all sides. If you pinch really hard under trigger, you can sometimes feel that your palm slips forward. If you squeeze hard with the base of your palm, your index finger can slip back. If I can feel both solidly contacting, I think I got my wraparound grip OK.

In addition, google late Ron Avery's stuff on pliable hands. Sometimes gripping too hard is counterproductive; I think more so with small guns but I don't that for sure. Try gripping less hard one day and see what happens.
    Bit of a necro post but I made it to the range yesterday to zero the Defoor sights I installed on the 43X. (My carry permit was approved only last week and I needed that card to legally bring the gun outside my home.)

The advice YVK gave on Avery’s pliable hands is gold. Since May, I’ve been tweaking my grip using the principles outlined by Ron Avery and to my surprise, I felt the gun was now shooting softer, the sights tracked vertically, and I suffered no Glock knuckle. Muzzle rise is still greater than my G17’s, but the sights returned to the same point consistently. The biggest thing was that my grip held in recoil and my support hand never peeled away from the grip frame. I was able to keep everything in a B8 X-ring at 7. A big difference from the three previous outings I had with the gun in May.

Starting to bond with the gun. I like how it carries. The trigger has settled in well. Still don’t think this is something I want to shoot 200-round sessions with but I have more confidence that it’ll work well for its intended use.

Thanks again, YVK.
    Last edited by CarloMNL; 09-14-2021 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CarloMNL View Post
    I managed to spend three days and 300 rounds with a 43X. I'm new to slimlines and I've noticed that the small gun requires a lot more effort to shoot versus a G17.

My biggest challenge is grip. I find myself having to reset my support hand between shots. I can't seem to hang on to the frame as well as I can a full sized Glock. Also, I notice my sights lifting up and right (I'm a right-handed shooter) instead of just straight up.

Does this indicate that I need to apply even more pressure with my support hand? I'm squeezing as hard as I can with my left hand but haven't made much progress. Also, I am very tired after shooting 100 rounds through this gun. I can do between 200-300 with a G17 and feel a little tired afterwards, but this one has me spent by the time I finish two boxes of ammo.
    I had the same issue when I started shooting a 48. I ended up using a completely different grip than I use on the 19 and 17. I get the index and middle finger of weak hand wedged in tightly above the middle finger of strong hand. This really locked the gun in without having to grip any harder, automatically created more wrist cant in weak hand, and resulted in more predictable sight tracking. If I could swing on the larger framed guns, I would because it definitely seems to give a mechanical advantage, but doesn't work with my smallish hands. May not work for everyone but thought I'd share, as it worked for me. It's not the most comfortable way to grip a gun unfortunately.

User Tag List