Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grippng small pistol: sights not lifting vertically

I had to had talons to my 48 to get anything close to support hand grip on the slim glock and it’s still hard to keep contact with under recoil. I think that’s the compromise in having the skinny gun.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    I've had decent luck with Talon's on a few pistol's,
    I did find the Pro's seemed to deteriorate from
    sweat / body heat and the original's are a little
    slippery with sweaty hands.
    I had a double wrap on my 365 XL which helped
    the small grip quite a bit, but the Boresight Solution's
    Razorback grip mod made a night and day improvement,
    don't know if that might be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by CarloMNL View Post
    How warm does the temp have to be? I think I read a post by @GJM where he said he went a little too far and warped the frame on a G42. Not sure if he used a hair dryer or a heat gun though.
    Hard to say...I stole borrowed Mrs. RJ's hair dryer, set to "Medium" heat? I would guess I blew it on the installed grip (in sections at a time) maybe 45 to 60 seconds, max? Then I gripped it like I normally do shooting, and bore down. Not so tight I would move the panel, but focused on gripping inward. The gun was pretty warm but not hot. I let it cool off for 15-20 minutes, then repeated, several times.

I'm a lefty, so I tucked the right side of the grip material "under" the left side, so my fingers would naturally curl over and around the outer layer and down onto the inner where they join. I had issues not doing that on a M&P, and the grip started to peel and come off when I was shooting. As say, the skinny Glocks are like the only pistol I have left the Talon product on. They do seem to help.

What kind of ammo were you shooting?

Clean the grip surface with alcohol. A hair dryer to warm both the decal and the grip helps a lot. Leave an unloaded mag in the gun.

Also: I’ve had much better luck with TractionGrips. They are thinner and stickier. Mine have lasted years.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    What kind of ammo were you shooting?
    124 grain ball from magtech

How warm does the temp have to be?
    Talon Grips come with very specific, step-by-step, printed instructions, including photographs and specific guidance on the suggested amount of heat.

124 grain ball from magtech
    In my experience it is a relatively hot ammo.

If I can make it to the range tomorrow, I'll shoot my 43x and see how my dot tracks. I use Talon grips too, haven't noticed significant difficulty beyond expected decline from a full sized gun. Last time I shot this gun, my training buddy had me do a drill that he designed which was to activate a front-falling mini-popper at about 8 yards and keep hitting it to prevent it from falling down for the "duration" of a full mag. I didn't have much trouble with it.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Good information on this thread. Do a search for other threads on the G43. There are many, including an eye-opener about ammo types and spring life.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    In my experience it is a relatively hot ammo.
    It's definitely warmer than the local standard (Armscor) but milder than the 9mm NATO ball that Winchester loads for the US military. I found that stuff to be brisk (and L-O-U-D) out of a full frame Glock.

User Tag List