Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grippng small pistol: sights not lifting vertically

Question Grippng small pistol: sights not lifting vertically

I managed to spend three days and 300 rounds with a 43X. I'm new to slimlines and I've noticed that the small gun requires a lot more effort to shoot versus a G17.

My biggest challenge is grip. I find myself having to reset my support hand between shots. I can't seem to hang on to the frame as well as I can a full sized Glock. Also, I notice my sights lifting up and right (I'm a right-handed shooter) instead of just straight up.

Does this indicate that I need to apply even more pressure with my support hand? I'm squeezing as hard as I can with my left hand but haven't made much progress. Also, I am very tired after shooting 100 rounds through this gun. I can do between 200-300 with a G17 and feel a little tired afterwards, but this one has me spent by the time I finish two boxes of ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by CarloMNL View Post
    I managed to spend three days and 300 rounds with a 43X. I'm new to slimlines and I've noticed that the small gun requires a lot more effort to shoot versus a G17.

My biggest challenge is grip. I find myself having to reset my support hand between shots. I can't seem to hang on to the frame as well as I can a full sized Glock. Also, I notice my sights lifting up and right (I'm a right-handed shooter) instead of just straight up.

Does this indicate that I need to apply even more pressure with my support hand? I'm squeezing as hard as I can with my left hand but haven't made much progress. Also, I am very tired after shooting 100 rounds through this gun. I can do between 200-300 with a G17 and feel a little tired afterwards, but this one has me spent by the time I finish two boxes of ammo.
    Shooting small guns is hard. When I shoot mouseguns like an LCP, my hands are pumped after a few mags, let alone 300 rounds.

Good job on noticing how the sights track. However, if the sights return predictably, a non-vertical orbit isn't a problem in itself. What is a problem is you having to reset your grip. That's a sign that you need to fix something.

Grip tape can help tremendously. I like TractionGrips:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VL5KLLT/

Beyond that, it's hard to troubleshoot your grip without seeing a video. Can you post a video of you shooting the gun, taken from the side?
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Shooting small guns is hard. When I shoot mouseguns like an LCP, my hands are pumped after a few mags, let alone 300 rounds.

Good job on noticing how the sights track. However, if the sights return predictably, a non-vertical orbit isn't a problem in itself. What is a problem is you having to reset your grip. That's a sign that you need to fix something.

Grip tape can help tremendously. I like TractionGrips:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VL5KLLT/

Beyond that, it's hard to troubleshoot your grip without seeing a video. Can you post a video of you shooting the gun, taken from the side?
    It was 3 trips shooting 100 per trip and I was smoked after each trip.

Sights return predictably but another issue with resetting grip is that I have to hunt for proper finger contact whenever I reset. Not an issue with a big gun but on a smaller pistol, it is "challenging" to say the least.

Re: grip tape. A local shop sells Talons. I'll call them up to see if they have a set to fit the 43X/48.

Can't say when I'll be able to visit the range again but I'll be sure to record a video when I do. Thanks, CF!

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Re: grip tape. A local shop sells Talons. I'll call them up to see if they have a set to fit the 43X/48.
    If they don't got it: https://www.amazon.com/TALON-Grips-G...dp/B07NDNC473/
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

That doesn’t sound like a lot of fun. Are you working with the 43x for potential carry, or is it a range/fun gun? Do you normally carry a 17?
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    That doesn’t sound like a lot of fun. Are you working with the 43x for potential carry, or is it a range/fun gun? Do you normally carry a 17?
    Yes, I normally carry a G17 but got the G43X to wear when a smaller gun is what I can get away with.

FWIW I have tried Talons on a number (maybe 6?) different guns. The G43X/G48 (I've owned both) are the only guns that I kept them on. I have had both the "Pro" and "Rubber", and wasn't able to tell much difference between the two. I am no fantastic shooter, but I find the rubber texture allows me to "key" in my grip much better. For comparison I shoot a G34 for competition and don't find the need for a grip tape, so I suspect my situation is not unlike yours. I have M hands.

I'm not trying to tell you something you may know already, so ignore if so, but I've found it very important to follow their install directions to avoid peeling, especially the last part, where you alternately heat the grip material with a hair dryer and squeeze hard, several times, to help "set" the adhesive. I also pay pretty good attention to how the finishing piece wraps around the grip, make sure that the direction of the final overlap is in the same direction as my fingers squeeze.

Name:  IMG_7977.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  101.2 KB
    Last edited by RJ; 05-24-2021 at 07:20 AM.

Yes, I normally carry a G17 but got the G43X to wear when a smaller gun is what I can get away with.
    Seems perfectly reasonable and is something I might try. Oddly I’ve found that the ‘slimline’ summer companion to my G17s turned out to be lightweight 1911s — commanders and CCOs. I don’t seem to have trouble switching when the weather changes and I shoot the smaller gun slightly better than the bigger gun (though in sweater weather I sure prefer the 17 rounds onboard).

It’s an expensive and complex rabbit hole though, especially since I strongly prefer the 1911s in a different caliber, so investing the effort in the 43x makes sense. You’re already getting good advice there.
    Ignore Alien Orders

+1,000 for some kind of grip tape. The Glock slimline grips are all functionally devoid of texturing - for the life of me I don't know why GLOCK doesn't just put the perfectly OK texturing of the Gen4/5 on the slim guns. I found the G43 and G43X to be the "squirmiest" pistols I've ever owned, so much so that I sold them both down the road in favor of other makes of compact 9mm strikers.

Don't even get me started on comparing the 43X to a 9mm 1911 LW CCO...

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I'm not trying to tell you something you may know already, so ignore if so, but I've found it very important to follow their install directions to avoid peeling, especially the last part, where you alternately heat the grip material with a hair dryer and squeeze hard, several times, to help "set" the adhesive. I also pay pretty good attention to how the finishing piece wraps around the grip, make sure that the direction of the final overlap is in the same direction as my fingers squeeze.

Name:  IMG_7977.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  101.2 KB
    How warm does the temp have to be? I think I read a post by @GJM where he said he went a little too far and warped the frame on a G42. Not sure if he used a hair dryer or a heat gun though.

User Tag List