Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steel Challenge gear and general discussion

Anybody here dabble in rimfire rifle irons or optics? That is where the heat was at the match last week and I got the bug. I have a wiland chassis and ti barrel on order...since I am on a rimfire only kick this year, I might as well dive in and enjoy myself.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Anybody here dabble in rimfire rifle irons or optics? That is where the heat was at the match last week and I got the bug. I have a wiland chassis and ti barrel on order...since I am on a rimfire only kick this year, I might as well dive in and enjoy myself.
    We run a steel plate match, gallery type, of 34 hanging plates every month with pistols (both rimfire and center-fire), revolvers, compacts, and finishing up with .22LR rifles. The .22LR rifle portion is everyone's favorite myself included.
    Every other month we shoot a 2 stage Steel Challenge match. Again, the .22LR rifle is the most fun.
    I use a M&P15-22 with an old Aimpoint Comp M3 and that combination works really well. I'm usually in the top 4 with that M&P15-22.
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 05-29-2021 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    We run a steel plate match, gallery type, of 34 hanging plates every month with pistols (both rimfire and center-fire), revolvers, compacts, and finishing up with .22LR rifles. The .22LR rifle portion is everyone's favorite myself included.
    Every other month we shoot a 2 stage Steel Challenge match. Again, the .22LR rifle is the most fun.
    I use a M&P15-22 with an old Aimpoint Comp M3 and that combination works really well. I'm usually in the top 4 with that M&P15-22.
    Any issues with the 15-22's not getting picked up on the timer? While practicing, I had trouble with missed shots from my belt. At a busy match I don't know if they'd be able to crank the sensitivity enough and keep from picking up the next bay's shots. My shooting buddy put a tandemkross brake on his gun to make it louder. I don't plan on running my 15-22 after this match since I should have my wiland built by the next one, but wanted to get some data anyway this match.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Any issues with the 15-22's not getting picked up on the timer? While practicing, I had trouble with missed shots from my belt. At a busy match I don't know if they'd be able to crank the sensitivity enough and keep from picking up the next bay's shots. My shooting buddy put a tandemkross brake on his gun to make it louder. I don't plan on running my 15-22 after this match since I should have my wiland built by the next one, but wanted to get some data anyway this match.
    Whoever is running the shot timer will stand fairly close to the shooter and extend the timer forward and the sensor angled towards the muzzle. That seems to work 98% of the time. Having a comp or flash suppressor seems to help quite a bit.

Hit up a match yesterday. Small turnout due to the holiday i believe. Ended up running two guns, my dotted 617 in rfpo and my 15-22 in rfro. It was all 8 classifiers so i got some good data for my log.

5 to go - 617 agg (15.24) best run (3.36) 15-22 agg (14.47) best run (3.31)

I beat my previous best run and agg with the 617. More comfortable and calling shots better than before. I suck at running a rifle and even did better with my 617 on a few stages.

Showdown - 617 agg (9.9) best run (2.18) 15-22 agg (10.51) best run (2.42)

The 2.18 was a real ripper. I had 4 solid runs already, and just hero or zero'd it and came through. Beat my rifle time largely due to that run alone. Definitely my fastest stage.

Smoke and hope - 617 agg (12.37) best run (2.65) 15-22 agg (9.30) best run (2.09)

I didn't shoot this as well with my 617 as the last match. Had some trouble pushing past the stop plate or just before the stop plate. My only sub 10 agg with the rifle. Hope to be able to get sub 2's with rifle by the end of the year.

Outer Limits - 617 agg (18.24) best run (5.31) 15-22 agg (18.43) best run (5.61)

First time running OL. The squad said I had super fast first hits but gave me some pointers on the movement and entry which helped me when I ran the 617 (ran rifle first).

Accelerator - 617 agg (17.3) best run (3.85) 15-22 agg (15.85) best run (2.35)

Dont' recall anything special about this stage. I have doubts about the fluke 2.35 with the rifle. I was focused and not paying attention at the time but I have my suspicion that the ro missed a shot with the timer here. We shot it early and had to adjust the sensitivity to pick up my rifle on the first stage and I can't recall which order I shot this stage.

Pendulum - 617 agg (14.53) best run (3.3) 15-22 agg (14.33) best run (3.35)

Beat my previous 617 best run and cut 3 seconds off my agg.

Speed Option - 617 agg (14.31) best run (3.26) 15-22 agg (16.05) best run (3.41)

The squad complained about this stage and said it was their least favorite stage. I didn't mind it. I shot it a bit different than everyone else, preferring to shoot both close plate from left to right then the far targets from right to left, driving toward the stop plate. Made more sense to me than the gas brake gas brake method they used and the times were similar but I'll explore it more later. Had trouble stopping the 15-22 and had a fair amount of misses hence being slower than my 617.

Roundabout - 617 agg (11.19) best run (2.51) 15-22 agg (11.53) best run (2.43)

I ran outside right, inside right, the drove from the outside left in toward the stop plate for 3 quick hits and felt it to be a good order of engagement. I think there is potential for a good amount of improvement here and can see myself pushing this fairly low later on.

I improved on each stage, excepting smoke and hope, during this match. That's good. Had a chance to run a squad mates wiland setup afterwards and am glad I have one on the way. I won't run the 15-22 again. Nothing wrong with it but a dedicated setup will be built prior to next match more than likely. I am enjoying pushing the 617 and will continue racing the volquartsen and tacsol fellas with it for the rest of the year. I've had a fair amount of A times with it and with some consistency I'm confident M times aren't too far off on some stages. Looking forward to next match.

WOW/!!! I'm impressed.

You did great with your 617. I enjoy shooting mine over all my other .22s as well. My times are no where near your. You'll get Master if you keep that up.

Got my RFRO build finished today. TacSol receiver, powder river trigger, wiland chassis and ti barrel. Just running a spare holosun for now. Next year i may get a more suitable dot. Maiden voyage this weekend to see if any bugs need worked out. If it runs them I'll hit up a match in the next few weeks and see what i can do with it. Pics later in the week.

Good luck with it. I'm sure your old sight will work fine but it's always nice to buy new stuff.

Anxious to see the pics.

Quick and dirty pic after dry practice. Made a few tweaks. Ready for some live practice!

Name:  20210708_123921.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  21.4 KB

Testing yesterday morning. Had intermittent stovepipes with automatch, some odd bolt drag on the first round with Winchester hv and cci velocitor, some but fewer stovepipes with federal bulk of a random flavor i had, and of course 100% with stingers. Everything i have runs with damn stingers.

Put in a powder river extractor that came with my trigger. Noticeably less play with a case under the new extractor vs the one from tacsol. May get to run it in the am to see the difference. If not, they're fairly simple to swap so no big deal. I dig how easy 10/22's are to work on.

Name:  20210710_124128.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  81.0 KB

User Tag List