Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steel Challenge gear and general discussion

Steel Challenge gear and general discussion

I went to a Steel Challenge match for the first time since 2014 yesterday. I had a blast running my 617 but was amazed at how many rifles/pcc's there were. It seemed every competitor was running one or both rifles(rimfire/pcc) with only 3 centerfire pistols in the whole match out of 85 guns. It lit the fire of my inner gear whore.

Some top 10 national level competitors were there and I got to see several low 1 second runs and 5 second agg's on several stages. That is a big motivator

What are your steel challenge setups? Favorite stages? Tips etc...

I had issues with eye sprinting and not snapping my eyes to the next target during transitions. At first I didn't trust my shot calling and despite knowing you don't wait to hear hits, when I couldn't hear the hits due to my ears going crazy with all the shooting (our match plus an nrl match next door) I hesitated and reshot targets i had hit previously. That eventually eased up as I warmed up but it was disheartening at first. I hovered middle pack running a stock 617 with a dot. Glad to be back out there and ready to work on improving.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

I too am running a 617 for Steel Challenge, using DS-10 Speed Loaders. I really enjoy shooting revolvers.

The PCCs and .22 rimfire rifles have shown some unbelievable times. Under 60 seconds for the complete 8 stages is mind boggling.

I've converted a few local shooters to the dark side, with their revos. Not many have 617s but one shooter on my squad says he'll bring out his H&R next month. It takes the same speed loaders as my revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
    I too am running a 617 for Steel Challenge, using DS-10 Speed Loaders. I really enjoy shooting revolvers.

The PCCs and .22 rimfire rifles have shown some unbelievable times. Under 60 seconds for the complete 8 stages is mind boggling.

I've converted a few local shooters to the dark side, with their revos. Not many have 617s but one shooter on my squad says he'll bring out his H&R next month. It takes the same speed loaders as my revolver.
    What optic and mount on your 617?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

When shooting with optics I use a C-More Railway with a 12 MOA Dot and an Allchin Mount. For Iron Sights I'm putting a LPA Rear Sight with a Precision FO Front.

I ran a stock trigger 617 with a vortex viper on a raptor engineering mount and a set of nills.

Name:  20210515_104109.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  29.5 KB

I only had time to run 4 stages (packed crowd plus slow squads took 2 hours to get stage 3 and 4 shot) so i took dnf on two stages. But of the 4 stages i ran my single string pr's were

Showdown in 2.83
    5 to go in 3.8
    Smoke and hope in 2.55
    And pendulum in 3.41

Certainly not burning it down by any means but a starting point nonetheless.

Something of note, i had the pleasure of squadding with some juniors from a scholastic steel challenge team. They were phenomenal shooters, one of which was a triple GM (iron sight rimfire pistol, pcc, and rimfire rifle optics) and the other who shot at least at the m level if not gm, winning a few stages overall.

It was amazing what these kid accomplished in 4 years and less of dedicated practice. They use steel challenge as practice for their big scholastic steel matches. Interesting and great fun/motivator.

Nice looking pistol. I love those Nil's grips. One of these days I'll order a pair. Right now I'm happy with the Hogues.

You had some great times there. We have a match coming up this Sunday so I'll see what I can do.

Keep in mind those were pr strings, my aggs wre b and c runs collectively according to practiscore. A decent amount of variation string to string.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Something of note, i had the pleasure of squadding with some juniors from a scholastic steel challenge team. They were phenomenal shooters, one of which was a triple GM (iron sight rimfire pistol, pcc, and rimfire rifle optics) and the other who shot at least at the m level if not gm, winning a few stages overall.

It was amazing what these kid accomplished in 4 years and less of dedicated practice. They use steel challenge as practice for their big scholastic steel matches. Interesting and great fun/motivator.
    Hmm. Maybe it’s time to get my 4 year old some Airsoft Steel
    challenge targets...

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Hmm. Maybe it’s time to get my 4 year old some Airsoft Steel
    challenge targets...
    The youngest in the squad was shooting his first match and couldn't have been much out of 1st grade. He did just fine using a rimfire rifle. He placed 51st out of 85 guns!

User Tag List