Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PA Holosun 507c & 509t2 w/ ACSS Vulcan

Site Supporter

PA Holosun 507c & 509t2 w/ ACSS Vulcan

I decided to give the new 507 with Vulcan reticle a try because I've had limited practice time in the last year. While I usually have no issue finding the dot on an RMR or Acro, I have had some problems when shooting SHO or WHO, or when I get a bad grip when drawing. I've only had the new 507 for a few days, but my initial impressions are very positive. The outer ring serves it's purpose perfectly. It is also very intuitive and makes alignment easier with very little practice.

I wasn't sure how much I would like the chevron as a dot replacement, but it's growing on me. The outer ring with the donut from the 407co would be an interesting reticle option as well.

There are guys raving about it and guys who think it isn't a great improvement or advancement. I am definitely leaning in the camp of the former. It is noticeably easier for my to subconsciously correct dot placement with the ACSS. But, I have it and a plain dot to play with so time will tell.

I absolutely see the utility in the large circle. I think it seems superfluous on the square range in ideal conditions. Once you start shooting more off hand and get into some crazy positions I think its utility becomes apparent.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    I absolutely see the utility in the large circle. I think it seems superfluous on the square range in ideal conditions. Once you start shooting more off hand and get into some crazy positions I think its utility becomes apparent.
    I think this is the thing that is being missed by many people/reviewers. They say it's great for new shooters to learn how to use a dot on a pistol and they think it isn't really needed for people with lots of practice using a dot and that is true but it does have some benefit to experienced shooters shooting from odd angles, under barricades etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I think this is the thing that is being missed by many people/reviewers. They say it's great for new shooters to learn how to use a dot on a pistol and they think it isn't really needed for people with lots of practice using a dot and that is true but it does have some benefit to experienced shooters shooting from odd angles, under barricades etc.
    Yes. Right now get into some strange position and draw your pistol like its for your life. Will you get a perfect sight picture? Maybe...probably.....but maybe not. And the maybe not might happen when you need the dot the most.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Site Supporter
    I've seen lots of higher level USPSA shooters dot hunt (and I've done it myself). Stages that require pulling an activator rope with the shooter's right hand while shooting through a tiny port tend to highlight alignment issues pretty quickly. But, I've lost to dot even when shooting around an awkward barricade freestyle. The ACSS reticle seems like a viable solution to alignment problems. The only downside I've noticed so far is that the outer ring does tend to bloom a little if the intensity is too high for the lighting conditions. This may be more of an issue for me because I'm fairly short, and I shoot with my elbows bent farther than many shooters, so the optic is closer to my face.

#RESIST

I really like the idea but, having seen now-forgotten DPP with a 7 MOA triangle dot, I don't want to adjust to a chevron. A 5-6 MOA dot would've been nice.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Not a fan myself. It will be coming off my main gun and going onto something else. With so much time on a regular dot i don't care for the chevron. It is fine for drills and the like but with partial targets at speed like in a match, it slows me down. The big outer circle has messed with me as well when doing things like fast transitions. I am used to shooting when I see a streak of red on the target, well that is no good if that streak is the outer circle. Back to the SRO I guess.

Anyone have any further experience with this reticle option? Are they or will they be available for other optics like the 509?

I have kinda experienced some of the things the OP described when shooting from odd positions SHO/WHO.
    Seems like a good reticle option to have my wife start learning the dot.

User Tag List