Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: PA Holosun 507c & 509t2 w/ ACSS Vulcan

Also

@Wake27

If you ever have the misfortune to shoot an SRO into a setting sun and get a phantom dot, you might get a sense of how debilitating not having confidence in see dot shoot dot can be.

It’s also what effs me up when I try and use visible lasers with poor background contrast and I find myself hunting for the beam and not confident it is where I think it is.

All of that inefficiency strips away when you get clear, unfettered feedback from a dot.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Here’s a video I did with an AimCam for my teaching thread to demonstrate what I’m seeing in dry fire.

You can see that the dot is in the window through all the transitions.

That’s what it looks like for me and I don’t want any phantom streaks. Just give me the see dot and shoot dot.

Similarly, at full speed I’m still seeing the dot but processing speed has to be faster. When I see red, I go.

I don’t have time to guess and interpret what that red is.

Getting to the higher levels of USPSA means you can see more, faster.

This was my slowed for vision pace. I absolutely tracked the dot through recoil and transition.

Note the tighter cluster of hits on the upper partial. That was an extra 0.01-0.02 of vision compared to the splits on the open sides and bottom.

My initial reaction to your Four Aces clip was "shit, some days my split times look like your reload time."😀

PA Holosun 507c & 509t2 w/ ACSS Vulcan

So I got this mounted on my offset to test out. In this application, I see what JCN is saying as I can’t quite get it to perfect distance from my eye, it probably needs to be moved a half inch forward for that. But it’s a minimal distraction for me in the application (as far as I can tell) so I’m going to roll with it and see how it does. Unfortunately I probably won’t be able to really test it the way I want for about a month when the next rifle match should happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally had the chance to zero and test my SRO milled (Stonebridge Gunworks) Shadow2 with the 509t2 Vulcan. I sighted it at 10/25yds, with POI at tip of chevron. I found this very intuitive, and had no problem adjusting to this reticle. The big circle was not visible or noticeable except when I foxed my grip WHO. Again, I found it intuitive and had no issues adjusting to it. Also, windage was 2 clicks from POI, and elevation was 5 clicks from POI. That's an excellent milling job. Pic below compares the S2 to my P07 carry gun, direct milled for a non-Vulcan 509t2 by SBGW. @JCN, @GJM,

Note decked sight rail to fit the front bell of the SRO. I like the 509 so much, I doubt I’ll swap it for a SRO.

Stonebridge Gunworks did excellent work, and turned the gun around in 3 weeks. They even milled the front sight down.

I ran a Max Michel target focus drill with small black spots on targets of varying difficulty. I started at 7yds, established a comfortable par time (~3s clean)

And then moved out to 10,15,20, and 25. Here's a clean run at 20 yds.

I was very happy with the precision of the Vulcan chevron on the head-only NS target. This was from 25yds.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-07-2022 at 05:19 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

That reminds me, I shot my AR with the 507 Vulcan offset this past weekend. It didn’t help where I was really helping (bottom ports on a VTAC) but that was just because I couldn’t get behind it enough. I did shoot a full stage with it as my primary sighting system and liked it. It’ll probably be a while before I can really use it enough to have deeper thoughts but so far, I like the chevron in both of the contexts that I’ve used it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    That reminds me, I shot my AR with the 507 Vulcan offset this past weekend. It didn’t help where I was really helping (bottom ports on a VTAC) but that was just because I couldn’t get behind it enough. I did shoot a full stage with it as my primary sighting system and liked it. It’ll probably be a while before I can really use it enough to have deeper thoughts but so far, I like the chevron in both of the contexts that I’ve used it.

Did you do chevron only or chevron plus circle?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Did you do chevron only or chevron plus circle?
    So far, both. I can see a tiny part of the circle, maybe 10-15% of it when I roll the gun over and use the offset RDS. It’s such a small part that I don’t think it slows me down as a distractor but after I play with it a little more, I’ll turn it off if it’s not as usable as I was hoping for the battery life alone.

The chevron itself, being such a large reticle, may serve as the self-correcting feature that I was hoping to have in unconventional shooting positions anyways. MTF, I’m planning on shifting it at work on Tuesday, we have a competition that I’m not allowed to participate in but I’m going to run through it with the guys running the shoot before the comp starts so hopefully I’ll see some more varied use there.

I’m also planning on using this setup for a 5kish run n gun early next month so hopefully I’ll get to really get a feel for it. I do love the Razor though, it’s better on 1x than I remembered.

I just did a timely re-read of this thread. I have a 507CO on my Staccato which I like thus far (new RDS shooter). The 8 MOA circle is appears to be a reasonable compromise for both carry and some forms of competition (steel challenge in my case).

I'm about to have two slides milled for an RMR plate, one for a full-size 1911, my wife's new HD gun, the other for one of our Kimber 4" barreled 1911's, maybe for competition. I'm confident the chevron would work well for me so I'm probably going to order two the the 507/ACSS, mount the CO on my wife's HD gun, and equip both the Staccato and Kimber with the ACSS. If I don't like the large circle I'll simply turn it off - nothing to loose IMO.

I’m still liking the 509t2 ACSS on my Shadow2. I’m finding it easier to be precise with the chevron than with a dot reticle. This was at 25yds, 7 of the hits are within 2”. Not especially slow fire either.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-14-2022 at 10:51 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I’m still liking my 507 too. I didn’t use the offset on my AR but shot a 5k run n gun with the 507 on my G45 (because the RMR dot on my Roland Special died the morning of the match…) and it was great. The reticle is very intuitive to me, though I don’t have identical pistol set ups to test the RMR vs ACSS with all of their factors being the same. The offset was on the gun though so it got banged around while doing obstacles and held up fine.

User Tag List