Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Mas Ayoob Is 45 Auto Obsolete?

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I’m pretty sure that Massad Ayoob knows a bit more than nothing and has put a thousand rounds through one or two .45 pistols...
    Completely agree!

Mas' lengthy career and training curriculum suggests that he is quite astute in the field of self-defense and training: https://massadayoobgroup.com/classes/
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Since there are great 9mm bullets available like Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot and Winchester Ranger-T I am fine with 9mm and for several reasons choose to carry it right now.

If those rounds were no longer an option and I was stuck with the bullet tech of 20 years ago or with FMJ or lead I would be carrying 45 ACP. No question in my mind.

Laws and material availability could change any time which would limit the availability of "good" 9mm bullets. If that happens and we go backwards in the technology available the old adage that "there's no replacement for displacement" becomes meaningful again.

To place it in perspective, I remember a discussion we had about this a few years back talking about ammo where the following scenario was posed:

You are sitting in a chair, immobile, staring at a door and you know an armed bad guy is about to come through it and try to kill you.
    You have the option of a Glock 17 loaded with 5 rounds of 9mm 124 FMJ or a Glock 21 loaded with 5 rounds of 45 ACP 230gr FMJ.
    You can only pick one gun.
    Which gun do you choose?

I will always pick the 45 ACP. No question.

The 45 ACP is not obsolete.

The article is entertaining enough to read, but it's really just Springfield clickbait. Mas has done more than his fair share to advance pistolcraft and its ensuing legalities. But, you really date yourself when you're using Msrs. Cooper and Fackler as datapoints.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    it's really just Springfield clickbait
    That's exactly what it is.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    Since there are great 9mm bullets available like Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot and Winchester Ranger-T I am fine with 9mm and for several reasons choose to carry it right now.

If those rounds were no longer an option and I was stuck with the bullet tech of 20 years ago or with FMJ or lead I would be carrying 45 ACP. No question in my mind.

Laws and material availability could change any time which would limit the availability of "good" 9mm bullets. If that happens and we go backwards in the technology available the old adage that "there's no replacement for displacement" becomes meaningful again.

To place it in perspective, I remember a discussion we had about this a few years back talking about ammo where the following scenario was posed:

You are sitting in a chair, immobile, staring at a door and you know an armed bad guy is about to come through it and try to kill you.
    You have the option of a Glock 17 loaded with 5 rounds of 9mm 124 FMJ or a Glock 21 loaded with 5 rounds of 45 ACP 230gr FMJ.
    You can only pick one gun.
    Which gun do you choose?

I will always pick the 45 ACP. No question.

The 45 ACP is not obsolete.
    BS - if I only have 5 shots, a J frame is enough!! Haven't you learned that by now.

The whole debate is stupid. A 1911 is a fine gun. My 1911Sc Commander works just fine and with 9 rounds is good for carry except for its size, which is a little much for me but I can do. My G26 is more convenient but that doesn't mean the 1911 is out. I can shoot the 45 round just fine.

I only shoot 100 45s at a time anyway. A thousand 9mm would hurt too!

I once mused along these lines and OMG did I catch hell.

Site Supporter
    Obsolete? Nah. Unnecessary? Probably.

That's why I own four of em [emoji1787]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Name:  rule_3.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  55.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Between the common service calibers, the bore size of the gun is the last thing one should consider.
    Unless it’s a 1911, then bore size does matter for reasons other than bore size.

Buy a reliable service pistol, dress around it so that you can carry it every day, and practice with it as often as you can.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List