Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Mas Ayoob Is 45 Auto Obsolete?

I don't see what is so retro or obsolete. Mas qualified pretty much every point made re terminal ballistics. Same for the shootability points; absolutely qualified those to. Unless one is obsessed with square range spits I don't see what is so off putting about his arguments. I get it that 9mm is the choice of the cognescenti in the current times but these current times also suffer from an ammunition drought.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I don't see what is so retro or obsolete. Mas qualified pretty much every point made re terminal ballistics. Same for the shootability points; absolutely qualified those to. Unless one is obsessed with square range spits I don't see what is so off putting about his arguments. I get it that 9mm is the choice of the cognescenti in the current times but these current times also suffer from an ammunition drought.
    Most participants in this thread are taking this little soundbite far too seriously.

I used the term "retro" in response to Suvorovs comment about some of us older folks being obsolete ourselves. Many of the comments are in the same vein. Maybe those of us who are getting arthritic and creaky are as obsolete as the .45acp we use to rock hard with in our youth. I don't disagree with any of Mas' assertions regarding the suitability and efficiency of the 9mm. Most of the comments in this thread made by anyone who knows anything are mostly tongue in cheek, so I think it's time for the collective Francis to lighten up.

BTW, I'll shortly be walking out the door carrying a .45 in a leather holster, so I'll proudly wear my obsolescence.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

One hundred plus posts into a caliber debate and no-one has advocated the superiority of the 9x23 Winchester over the bourgeois, plebian, base, prole chamberings of the unwashed poors?
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

We would also do well to remember that, while we have heard this debate rehashed time and time again, the is a whole crop of new gun owners out there who have not. I view the article as being aimed more toward that audience, rather than ourselves.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    We would also do well to remember that, while we have heard this debate rehashed time and time again, the is a whole crop of new gun owners out there who have not. I view the article as being aimed more toward that audience, rather than ourselves.

Very well stated, Chuck.
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    So, you're saying this is for the masses, not the classes?
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I’m waiting for the 41 Action Express to make a comeback
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    One hundred plus posts into a caliber debate and no-one has advocated the superiority of the 9x23 Winchester over the bourgeois, plebian, base, prole chamberings of the unwashed poors?
    If only it could be adopted as the Mil service caliber to get guns galore!

Have you shot them? If so what are they like in say a . . . 5" 1911. I've never seen one.

Kevin B added a .40 CQB to his training guns and it sounds like it is pretty harsh vs .45. Good for training fundamentals when one has a mountain of .40 ammo on hand. Is it like that?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I’m waiting for the 41 Action Express to make a comeback
    It’s due to the .41 AE that I could get 175-grain bullets to load in .41 Magnum brass to get a Silvertip-equivalent practice load.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post

Have you shot them? If so what are they like in say a . . . 5" 1911. I've never seen one.
    Nope. I looked into it once and was told that I could run 9x23 through my P220 in 38 super but chickened out.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List