Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Mas Ayoob Is 45 Auto Obsolete?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Ironically, I feel the 23 more punishing than the 27. My 27 benefits greatly from the GAP baseplate.

I had 3 G23s over the years, and if that was my only experience with .40, I too may join the .40 hate club.

Admittedly if I was buying me today, I’d likely get a 26. But I have the 27, it has the sites I like and it’s been thoroughly vetted. No need to go through that process again, especially these days. Also, I think sticking with the 180s helps mitigate the recoil while still having a pretty good performance. Staying away from 155s is a good idea.

It should be noted in a previous go around of 9 mm unavailability, someone swap me out .40 caliber HST‘s for a case of 9 mm federal Eagle. So, I have a good supply for that.
    9mm conversion barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    9mm conversion barrel?
    1. Not a fan for defense carry. Still has a .40 breech, ejector, etc. It’s also been argued about the appearance of stuff from a legal standpoint. And even if it’s only a 2% chance of mist being an issue, it’s still 2%.

2. I’d still have to vet it, which to me includes several boxes of ammo, including a box or two of the premium stuff.

3. I have no issue with it in .40.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Frankly it seems by watching the news that pretty much all of us are obsolete….
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 836
Size:  68.4 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    1. Not a fan for defense carry. Still has a .40 breech, ejector, etc. It’s also been argued about the appearance of stuff from a legal standpoint. And even if it’s only a 2% chance of mist being an issue, it’s still 2%.

2. I’d still have to vet it, which to me includes several boxes of ammo, including a box or two of the premium stuff.

When ammo prices go back to normal, it could save money practicing with the 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    When ammo prices go back to normal, it could save money practicing with the 9mm.
    If I am not going to carry it in 9 mm, I don’t intend on practicing with it in 9 mm. I reload, and if I recall correctly before the crisis the difference for me between 1000 9mm and 1000 .40 was around $22. At that rate, I presume it would take 5000 rounds just to break even on the cost of the barrel.

The kind of headline from when gun magazines battled for eyeballs on newsstands. "The 38 Special is DEAD, DEAD, DEAD!!!".

Site Supporter

I have a Storm Lake conversion barrel for my G23. I've fired around 2K rounds through it nary a problem. Mixture of ball, HST, Gold Dot. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    I have a Storm Lake conversion barrel for my G23. I've fired around 2K rounds through it nary a problem. Mixture of ball, HST, Gold Dot. YMMV.
    The very first Glock I bought was a blue label G22 Gen 2, probably around 1993 or so. About 10 years later I put a Lone Wolf conversion barrel in it to make use of more plentiful 9mm at work. I used that pistol and that barrel on the range until I retired several years ago. Then I really started shooting it, about 400 - 600 rounds a week for a year or so, until I bought a 19X.

I trust the conversion barrels on the Glocks.

(P.S. I'm not a maniac, once I retired I decided not to shoot when it was below 40 degrees, so that means about 9 months a year around here.)
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List