Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Midway importing M1 Carbines

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Got mine today, an Underwood made between July 1943 and March 1944.

I'm pretty underwhelmed with what Midway calls Very Good to Fine. Maybe when I get it cleaned up better I'll be happier, stock isn't cracked but it is pretty dinged up and I wanted to keep the original stock on the carbine.
    How's the barrel look?

Reading over earlier comments, as well as threads on other forums, there's been some concern.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Got mine today, an Underwood made between July 1943 and March 1944.

I'm pretty underwhelmed with what Midway calls Very Good to Fine. Maybe when I get it cleaned up better I'll be happier, stock isn't cracked but it is pretty dinged up and I wanted to keep the original stock on the carbine.
    Don't knock it until you shoot it. Battle scars happen. I rebuilt mine with a Boyds stock. For me the fact that I can ring a steel plate at 220 yards means more than an worn stock. But everyone has their standard I guess.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-12-2021 at 09:14 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    How's the barrel look?

Reading over earlier comments, as well as threads on other forums, there's been some concern.

Thanks
    I think it's going to be okay. The muzzle looks good, no dings. I believe it is waht they call 'dark' I'm still pulling fouling crap out of it. Can see defined lands and grooves.

I used Rogers Bore Cleaner to start with, and was pulling chunks of grease/cosmoline out, then I went to Sweet's 7.62 and let it soak for 10 minutes, patches were crappy but not blue. I doused the bore with brakecleaner, plugged an end and dumped in SimpleGreen. Probably going to ruin it.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I’d look at perhaps WipeOut/PatchOut along with the Accellerator. Everyone has their favorite “stuff”, but I’ve used this on quite a number of mil-surp rifles and have found it to work the best. On a particularly bad Czech Mauser, I built a homemade electronic cleaner. THAT worked like a damn miracle.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Seems fairly applicable given the little M1's recent--or continued--popularity.

https://www.gunsite.com/fighting-with-the-m1-carbine/

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Finally got to my FFL to pick mine up. Based on serial, looks like a July 1943 manufacture which is cool. Barrel has a W so both barrel and receiver are Winchester. Its definitely in a well used condition, the outside of the crown has a nick but nothing serious towards the bore. There's a lot of cosmoline to get off and this is my first time ever handling one so I'm learning as I go. Not sure what the inside of the barrel looks like yet, not sure if I even have anything to run through there but I assume I have something that'll work.

How bad of an idea is it to shoot without someone who knows what they're doing take a look first? I really don't mess with guns like this but am shooting tomorrow and really want to try this.

ETA - after doing some more research, the stock has the W.R.A. cartouche with G.H.D. initials and the ordnance logo. Looks like there's plenty of fakes but the stock is pretty beat up so I wouldn't be surprised if its original. Its also the Type II with the high wood but oval cut. The only thing that uscarbine30cal.com didn't account for is a turquoise 2 on the bottom of the hand grip where the website discusses P markings.
    Last edited by Wake27; 06-18-2021 at 01:33 PM.

Not sure that this qualifies for good - very good condition.

User Tag List