Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Midway importing M1 Carbines

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    And they're gone.
    Yep. I was in the air when they want for sale. By the time I landed less than an out later all the rockollas were gone as were any with a bayonet lug. They still had a few g-vg Winchesters for 1399 but I just couldn’t bring myself to doing it.

I was kind of thinking they were overpriced - apparently I was quite wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Yep. I was in the air when they want for sale. By the time I landed less than an out later all the rockollas were gone as were any with a bayonet lug. They still had a few g-vg Winchesters for 1399 but I just couldn’t bring myself to doing it.

I was kind of thinking they were overpriced - apparently I was quite wrong.
    Rockollas were gone in a few seconds to minutes.

I tried to get one but between several episodes of " website unavailable", the webpage signing me out of my account so that I had to sign back in, and finally multiple episodes of looking at the spinning hourglass, by the time I got to the actual check out step, even though I had it in my shopping cart, it was unavailable. This was right at 8 a.m. Central.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

I tried to get one but between several episodes of " website unavailable", the webpage signing me out of my account so that I had to sign back in, and finally multiple episodes of looking at the spinning hourglass, by the time I got to the actual check out step, even though I had it in my shopping cart, it was unavailable. This was right at 8 a.m. Central.
    I’m kind of guessing most of these were purchased by gun stores or even distributors.

Oh well…..

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I’m kind of guessing most of these were purchased by gun stores or even distributors.

Oh well…..
    Yeah we will probably start to see some >$2K carbines showing up on Gunbroker in the next few weeks.

Same deal with me, I had a Rock-ola very fine in the cart, went to check out and got a note that it was unavailable.

I ended up getting an Underwood - which was my fourth choice.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

I wanted VG-F or F Winchester with bayonet lug and in less than 10 minutes almost all of the models with bayonet lugs were sold out. I did get one of the G-VG Winchesters without a lug so I’m glad I got something but we’ll see what the condition looks like. It’ll be here on the 10th but I don’t know if I’ll be able to pick it up then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I wanted VG-F or F Winchester with bayonet lug and in less than 10 minutes almost all of the models with bayonet lugs were sold out. I did get one of the G-VG Winchesters without a lug so I’m glad I got something but we’ll see what the condition looks like. It’ll be here on the 10th but I don’t know if I’ll be able to pick it up then.

No lug is better unless you want a bayonet. I'm not sure when the spec became bayonet lugs but toward the end of production they all came with bayonet lugs. A rifle without one means it was produced without one (early) and never went thru an armory rebuild. All the early carbines had push button safeties, non adjustable rear sights and no bayonet lug. Those were all upgrades.

I suspect that some of these Midway carbines are either unmolested or minimally unmolested by the army after the war. But it would be the luck of the draw to get one. In the collectors world a Rockola is the holy grail because so few were actually produced. Winchesters probably #2.

I would be curious to see what you end up with. My guess, you're going to get a pretty nice rifle.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    No lug is better unless you want a bayonet. I'm not sure when the spec became bayonet lugs but toward the end of production they all came with bayonet lugs. A rifle without one means it was produced without one (early) and never went thru an armory rebuild. All the early carbines had push button safeties, non adjustable rear sights and no bayonet lug. Those were all upgrades.

I suspect that some of these Midway carbines are either unmolested or minimally unmolested by the army after the war. But it would be the luck of the draw to get one. In the collectors world a Rockola is the holy grail because so few were actually produced. Winchesters probably #2.

I would be curious to see what you end up with. My guess, you're going to get a pretty nice rifle.
    Thanks, I’d seen bits and pieces of what you said but not all. Collecting really isn’t my thing and I just feel like I’m used to seeing M1 Carbines with lugs growing up so that’s what I always expected, though I may have to relook band of brothers on that one. Either way, I’m excited, I’ve wanted several of the American weapons from WWII since I was a kid and have been keeping an eye on M1 Carbines without seeing many positive signs. I have 300 rounds of PPU from SGAmmo coming tomorrow and a bunch of mags from Brownell’s in the next few days so hopefully Father’s Day weekend I’ll get to shoot it. My M1 is the only thing I’ve ever shot from that era so I’m definitely curious to compare.

Now if I could jet get an M1A1…

Got mine today, an Underwood made between July 1943 and March 1944.

I'm pretty underwhelmed with what Midway calls Very Good to Fine. Maybe when I get it cleaned up better I'll be happier, stock isn't cracked but it is pretty dinged up and I wanted to keep the original stock on the carbine.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Got mine today, an Underwood made between July 1943 and March 1944.

I'm pretty underwhelmed with what Midway calls Very Good to Fine. Maybe when I get it cleaned up better I'll be happier, stock isn't cracked but it is pretty dinged up and I wanted to keep the original stock on the carbine.
    Well damn, mine will probably be the same.

I have a book on the way since I know nothing about this stuff but what should I have on hand to clean mine enough to shoot it?

User Tag List