Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Midway importing M1 Carbines

Classic firearms sent emails about having some carbines awhile back. They were $1500 to $1800 depending on manufacturer and condition. No idea if they still have any.

Edit:
    Looks like of the variety they had there are 6 left I guess.
    https://www.classicfirearms.com/m1-c...g-refurbished/

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    A few years ago, I bought an M1 Carbine that was an Italian return. I paid $700. I jumped on it because I'd watched prices steadily rise and doubted I'd find a good one cheaper. The metal is in excellent shape and the bore looked pristine, with a 1943 date. (Buffalo Arms barrel/National Postal Meter receiver) I replaced the Italian made stock with a walnut replica stock of GI profile and couldn't be happier.

If these Midway guns are Italian returns, it may be a best case to get an M1 carbine in good condition.
    Get em while they're hot.

I replaced my stock also and rubbed it down with tung oil about 10 times. I think Boyd's still makes stocks to the original GI spec. and parts are easy to find. A few years ago a guy in Germany had cases of original mags that were stored in a warehouse in the 60's. I purchased a few dozen, sold most of them, and kept a few for myself.

In the P-F basket of deplorables.

We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post

That's a nice finish on your stock. I should have stained mine before I put the tung oil on it. It came out too light but tung oil was what they used on new stocks so that's what I did. My rifle has been reparked anyway so it's never going to look like 99% of the standard milsurps we see. Yours looks fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    That's a nice finish on your stock. I should have stained mine before I put the tung oil on it. It came out too light but tung oil was what they used on new stocks so that's what I did. My rifle has been reparked anyway so it's never going to look like 99% of the standard milsurps we see. Yours looks fantastic.
    Thanks. Various things were used during stock production during that era: linseed oil, tung oil, etc. I love the "aresenal red" look most of the old stocks had. The CMP claims it comes from oxidation, but I read somewhere, Brophy's book on the M1903 perhaps, that a stain was added to the oil during stock production, but was eliminated during WWII. I want to say it was a stain made from Wormwood, but I can't remember for sure. I replicated it by mixing a little Lancaster Maple stain into Boiled Linseed Oil. I first used it when I made the stock on this 1903:

It turned out to be a dead ringer for the original stocks color and I've used it ever since.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Looks like prices range from about $1,200 to about $2,300.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

Yeah, just got the email.

Sale starts 6/8

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

Pass. I'd rather have a DCM Garand or 03A3 for less.

I guess I got a pretty good deal on mine about 7 years ago. I paid 1K and at the time I thought I paid too much. Looks like those days are long gone.

If the price range is that wide those $1200 carbines are going to be real dogs. But then Midway never was the place to look for a deal.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-03-2021 at 06:52 PM.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    A little more than I was wanting to spend, but......

Thinking about a Winchester VG-F with lug at about $1700...

Wanting something that looks good still, has some collector value (I guess they all do), but won't loose value if it is shot.

Thoughts?

User Tag List