Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oregon Counties Secede

Oregon Counties Secede

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=entnewsntp

I thought there was a discussion on PF about this already, but I could not find it to post this link. LL, please add this to the other discussion if appropriate.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Site Supporter
    Democrats keep telling me that DC can't rejoin Maryland because it isn't what the residents want - they want to be a separate state. I think we should apply the same logic here and these counties should become a new state.

Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    Democrats keep telling me that DC can't rejoin Maryland because it isn't what the residents want - they want to be a separate state. I think we should apply the same logic here and these counties should become a new state.
    Great thought.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

I think it has to be voted on by the people of OR through a ballot initiative and the legislature has to approve it, probably both legislatures.
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-20-2021 at 02:38 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

While amusing, this strikes me as being akin to a middle schooler running for class president on a platform of “less homework”.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    While amusing, this strikes me as being akin to a middle schooler running for class president on a platform of “less homework”.
    The Conch Republic is amusing; this isn't. The question isn't about how or where it starts, but where it ends. If people don't like how an election went, they need to get off their ass and get to work changing the minds of voters outside their hive.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Secession reminds me of the kid who wants to take his ball and go home because he can't make the rules everyone else wants to play by. A few voters get upset over the results of an election and wish they were someplace else where the rules are more agreeable to them. People in eastern WA and eastern OR have to deal with the state legislators, like it or not, as long as they live there.

A much better and quicker solution would be to just move to ID or some other mostly rural state that voted for Trump, like WY, UT or MT. You can't change a Zebra's stripes.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Insisting people move is not a viable strategy to address urban/rural bifurcation and entrenched extremism in the cities. For one thing, it's a profoundly entitled stance--that those with money and means to be mobile have more of a right to freedom than others. For another, I seem to recall being told to move by residents of the great states of Virginia, Colorado, and Florida. Texas should pay better attention.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    A much better and quicker solution would be to just move to ID or some other mostly rural state that voted for Trump, like WY, UT or MT. You can't change a Zebra's stripes.
    Hmmmm.... I should leave the place I grew up in, abandoning family, friends, community.... because a bunch of transplants to my states big cities have managed to monopolize my state politics?

What's the chance I have of influencing state politics sufficiently to inspire urban voters to vote against all the free shit promises made by Team Blue? Is there a realistic chance for a rural Californian, Upstate NYer or Downstate Illinoisan to make that happen in their lifetime?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=entnewsntp

I thought there was a discussion on PF about this already, but I could not find it to post this link. LL, please add this to the other discussion if appropriate.
    It's an update on this:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....1-Expand-Idaho

User Tag List