Thread: Week 426: Stop Shooting

Week 426: Stop Shooting

Week 426: Stop Shooting

Results may be posted until August 20th, 2021.

Designed by: Gabe White
    Target: 6" and 2" circles - download here - http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...ch-circles.pdf
    Range: 7 yards
    Rounds: up to 48
    Other equipment: Shot timer with a random start function

We are going to look at the time it takes us to stop shooting, prompted by a simple audible signal. Start with the handgun loaded and either holstered or in ready position of your choice. We are going to fire up to six shots per repetition.

Procedure: Press the button on your timer to commence the unknown countdown to the randomly timed start signal. Upon pressing the button, do not wait for the beep - instead present the gun and begin shooting up to six shots to either the 2" or 6" circle target. When the random start beep occurs, that is your signal to stop shooting, get your finger in register, and bring the gun to ready position of your choice. Record the number of shots the timer detected and their times (the timer should record any shots after the beep starts), as well as whether the target was the 2" or 6" circle. Repeat, alternating between the 2" and 6" circle targets, until you have done eight total repetitions.

Timer considerations: It may be hard to hear the timer while you are firing. Consider enlisting another person to hold the timer near your head, or try clipping the timer onto your hat, ear protection, or the collar area of your shirt, getting it closer to your ears.

It's not important that you fire six shots. What we are actually practicing in this drill is the act of being mentally, visually, and physically in the shooting process, then stopping shooting when we decide to. Ideally, you will start shooting, get multiple good shots fired, then halt the firing process before the expected number of shots are fired, put your finger in register, and bring the gun to a ready position. That's what we are trying to explore and practice.

You may need to adjust the random start of your timer. Mine is set to start randomly from 2-4 seconds after the button is pressed. So for me, I am going to start with the gun holstered, press the start button, count silently 'one thousand one, one thou', and draw and start shooting the six shots. Based on how long I know it takes me to draw, it is likely that the second beep will come before I have finished the six shots, which is what we want, because then I have the opportunity to practice responding to a stimulus by stopping shooting, and observe on the timer how long it took me to stop shooting and how many rounds I fired during that time.

Alternative to timer: If you don't have a timer or your timer doesn't have a suitable random start function, you may enlist another person to blow a whistle or otherwise give the stop signal while your are firing. You won't have specific times, but the person can count how many rounds you fired while reacting to the stop signal.

Please report:

Gun and holster/concealment or ready position used

For each repetition report whether it was to the small or large target, the number of hits you got on the target, how long it took you to stop shooting (last shot on the timer), and how many shots you fired after the beep began.

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

92d with ltt rdo slide and holosun 407c
    concealed under a summer shirt in a phlster floodlight on an enigma
    target was b8 black instead of 6" circle
    timer set with 2-4 second delay

.26 hit after the beep.

I'm not sure what a good stop time is, other than 0 as in no shots after simulated imminence is gone?. Does the old saw about human reaction time come into play, .3 or whatever it was? I noted that being on the other side of the beep was an odd feeling. Not sure how to explain it other than it was like stopping for a green light. I'd be interested in hearing others results if any of you can spare the ammo to run it. My friend, who is a very casual gun owner, said it seemed like this type of drill seemed like it was more important than most of the other "nonsense" we did all day and that most gun owners should be running this type of stuff.

"...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

User Tag List