Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford F-150 Lightning

This is absurd. If you'd like to set up a nonagon in the roomper room for otherwise intelligent people to argue the Ford Lightning is more susceptible to tweakers cutting into live 220V cables for $12 copper capers than the standard F150 with its catalytic converters and gas/diesel tanks to be siphoned - be my guest.

But I'm done contributing to this thread's derailment.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by omega9 View Post
    You’re using reason, tweekers don’t. If they only get 10 bucks a pop for a cable then they only have to steal 9 of them to score an 8 ball and a pack of smokes.

Selling them back takes too much effort unless they know someone in the business that’s willing to give them cash up front.

Hell, I’ve seen people steal roundup from Home Depot to sell to the lawn crews at half price.
    Yep. In my haunts they've been known to strip the wire from street lights. They don't give one iota because they have urges. Also sawing the CATS out of parked cars is a thing again.

To the thread: I cannot fathom why an EV truck makes sense to the general consumer market. A hybrid does make sense, a lot of it. They have to go full retard because they just can't help themselves I guess. Locomotives are diesel/electric for a reason, do they not know this? Have they heard of a Prius? They are fantastic cars, I know a family that is on their third one and they have logged over 1.5 million miles on them (combined). A 2.5 to 3.0L diesel with appropriately sized E-motors would absolutely rock as a AWD pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Yep. In my haunts they've been known to strip the wire from street lights. They don't give one iota because they have urges. Also sawing the CATS out of parked cars is a thing again.

To the thread: I cannot fathom why an EV truck makes sense to the general consumer market. A hybrid does make sense, a lot of it. They have to go full retard because they just can't help themselves I guess. Locomotives are diesel/electric for a reason, do they not know this? Have they heard of a Prius? They are fantastic cars, I know a family that is on their third one and they have logged over 1.5 million miles on them (combined). A 2.5 to 3.0L diesel with appropriately sized E-motors would absolutely rock as a AWD pickup.
    I agree that a diesel electric hybrid is what is needed right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    I agree that a diesel electric hybrid is what is needed right now.
    Maybe some kind of palletized generator system you could put in the bed when you needed it for towing or long trips. People like me own vehicles that can tow a lot so we can when we need to, but most days are not towing.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Cool. Given that you're an automotive engineer, it speaks volumes to me that you're looking to build a separate structure to charge your EV. Sorry if I missed it, but which one did you get again? The Mach-E?

Deep down, I know this whole EV push is actually a plot by the IAFF to keep their jobs relevant.
    They can respond in their EV trucks as long as it doesn't take too long to burn your garage down (diesel range extender optional).

https://www.rosenbaueramerica.com/ro...ry-technology/
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    I dunno, having an truck that can double as a giant battery for any tools without resorting to a generator, or possibly acting as a back-up battery for an entire house, seems like a pretty useful thing to have. A hybrid typically has a tiny battery compared to an EV; the F-150 Lightning has a battery 65 to 87 times larger than that of the F-150 Hybrid (98 kWh or 131 kWh versus 1.5 kWh).

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I dunno, having an truck that can double as a giant battery for any tools without resorting to a generator, or possibly acting as a back-up battery for an entire house, seems like a pretty useful thing to have. A hybrid typically has a tiny battery compared to an EV; the F-150 Lightning has a battery 65 to 87 times larger than that of the F-150 Hybrid (98 kWh or 131 kWh versus 1.5 kWh).
    Yes, I'd agree, but Ford isn't selling backup power systems. That's would be just a feature.

Sorry if this is a rehash.

A friend who is a glamper told me that he'd read that the F150 Lightning would get between 100 and 150 miles when towing near max load. This is significantly less than what Ford and the EPA project.

Apparently, Car and Driver agrees: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...-range-towing/

We Bet F-150 Lightning's Range Is under 100 Miles when Towing at the Max
    Ford promises EPA ratings of 230 and 300 miles, but towing and hauling near the claimed 10,000-pound maximum is going to seriously cut into those figures.

BY DAVE VANDERWERP
    MAY 20, 2021

Range typically occupies an outsized chunk of the conversation on any new EV. But, in the case of the F-150 Lightning, which has the bestselling pickup's usual healthy scoop of towing and hauling capabilities, things get even more complicated than normal.

Ford is claiming that the range figures for its electric pickup will come in at 230 miles and 300 miles, depending on whether the standard-range (which we estimate can hold 115.0 kWh) or extended-range battery pack (150.0 kWh, same caveat) is beneath the bed. Those are EPA predictions, specifically EPA combined figures, in lightly loaded conditions.

Although the Lightning is aided by the aerodynamic effects of its flat underbody, when running at real highway speeds there's no tricking the air molecules, and a bluff truck is going to suffer. In our highway range testing, which we conduct at a steady 75 mph, we typically see a range number that's about 20 percent below the EPA figure. Using that same bogey, which is probably generous in the case of a full-size pickup, would put the Lightning in the 180-to-240-mile zone for what you might achieve on a road trip.

In a recent towing test with another EV, lugging a 3859-pound boat at 70 mph chopped its range in half compared to a run at the same speed sans trailer. Applying these results to the F-150 means that towing a modest trailer would put the highway range at roughly 100 to 125 miles, depending on the pack. Towing anywhere near the 10,000-pound maximum rating on XLT and Lariat models (with the maximum trailer tow package and extended-range battery) at highway speeds, we believe you'd be hard pressed to exceed double-digit miles. We'd take that bet, in fact.

Utilizing the Lightning's payload capabilities, which are 1800 pounds for the extended-range battery and 2000 pounds for the smaller pack will put you somewhere between these two extremes. And those figures both include the up-to-400 pounds that can be stowed in the large and handy front trunk.

At least there's some smart technology to help adjust the range prediction shown to the driver in day-to-day use. As launched on the 2021 F-150, the Lightning uses a height sensor at each corner to estimate the load in the bed or on the trailer hitch and preemptively adjusts down the range predictions accordingly.

The old adage "your mileage may vary" is very apropos when discussing EVs. And the F-150 Lightning's, because of its tough-truck capabilities, will vary more than most.

Newsweek has this about charging rates: https://www.newsweek.com/everything-...htning-1704376

Everything You Need to Know About Charging the 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning

......The new Lightning pickup was upgraded in power and capacity a few days before its official launch. Ford now says that the standard-range 98-kilowatt-hour (kWh) battery pack produces 452 horsepower up from 426. The extended-range pack has been lifted to 580 horsepower from 563. Payload numbers got a boost to 2,235 pounds and the max range is now pegged at between 300 and 320 miles.

And that's what most buyers are concerned about first: range. The second worry? Charging.

What types of chargers can you use to charge the Ford F-150 Lightning?

For charging, there are the home options and the away options. For home options, buyers can get a Level 1 charger, which works off a 120-volt home outlet and takes a long time (19 hours for the F-150). These are only recommended for shorter range EVs.

Level 2 chargers are usually purchased with the car, and work from a 240-volt outlet. They need to installed by a professional electrician and shorten your charging time considerably. The can be installed at home, though many retail stores and commercial buildings also have them for employee use.

Finally there are DC fast chargers, which take the fill-up time from hours down to minutes. These are usually found at Electrify America or ChargePoint (or Tesla Supercharger) stations.

How fast can the Ford F-150 Lightning charge?

The F-150 Lightning's standard range battery takes 44 minutes to charge from 15-80 percent at a 150-kW Level 3 charger. A 50-kW charger is also considered Level 3, though it takes about 91 minutes for the same charge. The extended-range battery actually charges faster at 41 minutes at 150 kW, though the same charge takes 122 minutes at the lower level.

More often buyers will be charging at home or at work with a Level 2 charger. The 80-amp Ford Charge Station Pro ($1,310) will get the standard truck from 15-100 percent in 10 hours while the extended range takes 8 hours. That charger is the one you need if you want to feed power back into your house in case of a power outage. The Ford Connected Charge Station ($799) works at 48 amps and takes the same 10 hours, though the extended range battery goes up to 13 hours.

TLDR: If you are towing a good-sized load at the speed limit on the highway be prepared to stop every 100 to 159 miles for at least 45 minutes to an hour, that is if you can find a 150 KW charging station. About three times that or about 2.25 to 3.0 hours if all you can find is a 50KW charging station.

Seems to me, as far as towing boats and camper's the Lightning is going to be a local area option.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Electric cars are city cars.

User Tag List