Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford F-150 Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    The second group of people who could use this are the people who honestly don't need a pickup truck to begin with. There are plenty of crew-cab F150s used as kid-haulers and the occasional grocery getters. That's kind of ridiculous, but it's A Thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'd bet those buyers outnumber the folks that consider themselves "real" truck users by a huge margin.

I'm probably one of them.

Every time I think about getting rid of a truck, before I can buy something else I wind up making a Home Depot run, hauling bikes, or doing something else with the bed that makes the downsides (which, for me, really only comes down to some parking conditions) worthwhile.

I've even considered putting a piece of tape on the tailgate and writing the date on it so that the next time I actually drop the gate I can see when I last opened it, just to have some idea of how infrequently I use it, but then I remember that when I DO use it I'm super glad to have had it.

*could* I come home and get my trailer, and haul stuff that way with a small SUV or a car? Yeah, absolutely. Would it be as convenient? not even remotely.
    Yep. I'll never be without a capable truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer View Post
    I am this ridiculous person. But in my defense we have a Corolla for DD stuff
    Me too, except I'm extra ridiculous because my kid/dog hauler and grocery getter is a crew cab F250. I have no desire to drive anything else either.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Yep. I'll never be without a capable truck.

Me too, except I'm extra ridiculous because my kid/dog hauler and grocery getter is a crew cab F250. I have no desire to drive anything else either.
    Mine's just a simple RAM Sport 2WD (city truck, we called them growing up). It's paid off, so I keep thinking I could spend some annual bonus money and get a "fun car". Something like a Miata or a Mustang.

I wouldn't say "no" to a truck that could do 0-60 in 4.x seconds, AND had a frunk, however! I'd sure much rather have the one vehicle that was both useful AND fun.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I don't begrudge anybody their full-size truck. I think they are a little ridiculous as an in-town, daily driver, but hey, to each their own.

Even if we owned a more suburban existence, and didn't own a travel trailer, I'd still be tempted to own an F150. We could tool around town and get groceries in the CUV, but save the F150 for family excursions and road trips. I'm 6'2" and I ride much better in that truck than anything else. They are an awesome family road trip/camping mobile.

I'm with GJM though. They hybrid is where it's at for me. We just bought a used 2017 because keeping our 2001 another year or two just wasn't an option. I neither wanted to be an early adopter of Ford's new technology, nor pay the freight on a brand new hybrid F150.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I don't begrudge anybody their full-size truck. I think they are a little ridiculous as an in-town, daily driver, but hey, to each their own.

Even if we owned a more suburban existence, and didn't own a travel trailer, I'd still be tempted to own an F150. We could tool around town and get groceries in the CUV, but save the F150 for family excursions and road trips. I'm 6'2" and I ride much better in that truck than anything else. They are an awesome family road trip/camping mobile.

I'm with GJM though. They hybrid is where it's at for me. We just bought a used 2017 because keeping our 2001 another year or two just wasn't an option. I neither wanted to be an early adopter of Ford's new technology, nor pay the freight on a brand new hybrid F150.
    I live just outside Boston, a well known techy city, and I'd be hesitant to own a vehicle that couldn't be charged when the grid is out. Who cares if it can power your house when the power goes out (for how long too) if you also can't
    charge it.

I was super disappointed by the specs on this thing. I have to preface this by saying that I was very excited about Ford launching an electric F-150. But the price point and specs on this thing as well as how it was presented to the public vs the reality is in my opinion deceptive.

During the launch they stated that it will have a zero to 60 of 4.5 seconds, 600 horsepower, a 300 mile range, and a starting price of slightly under $40,000. However when you read the actual press release with the details, the $40,000 model will actually be around $42,000 at the dealerships and only have 230 miles of range, a 0 to 60 of six seconds, and significantly less power.

In order to get all of the features, range and power that were presented during the launch you will have to step up to the XLT model that will have a street price around $55,000. And all of that still only comes with a 300 mile range. I know people have mixed feelings about the styling of the Cyber truck, but Tesla has Superior technology and a better price for the same specs on the mid-range cybertruck. I was hoping for some real competition, but with the superior features of the cybertruck and a better price I think Ford has some work to do before they are going to be able to compete.
    Owner Rockey Brass
    www.rockeybrass.com
    Reloading supplies and firearms parts

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Assuming I understand it correctly, I much prefer the Rav 4 Prime approach of 42 electric powered miles, then regular gas operation. 42 miles would handle a lot of regular puttering around, but still leave a vehicle that can go much further if necessary using gas.
    Also generally much more appropriate vehicle size/power ratio for the needs of the average person looking at an electric vehicle (i.e. things you probably dont need a truck to do).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockey View Post
    I was super disappointed by the specs on this thing. I have to preface this by saying that I was very excited about Ford launching an electric F-150. But the price point and specs on this thing as well as how it was presented to the public vs the reality is in my opinion deceptive.

During the launch they stated that it will have a zero to 60 of 4.5 seconds, 600 horsepower, a 300 mile range, and a starting price of slightly under $40,000. However when you read the actual press release with the details, the $40,000 model will actually be around $42,000 at the dealerships and only have 230 miles of range, a 0 to 60 of six seconds, and significantly less power.

In order to get all of the features, range and power that were presented during the launch you will have to step up to the XLT model that will have a street price around $55,000. And all of that still only comes with a 300 mile range. I know people have mixed feelings about the styling of the Cyber truck, but Tesla has Superior technology and a better price for the same specs on the mid-range cybertruck. I was hoping for some real competition, but with the superior features of the cybertruck and a better price I think Ford has some work to do before they are going to be able to compete.
    You might be right, but the Cyber truck still isn't in production, I don't think numbers should be compared until both trucks have examples on the road.

Trucks always get the stink eye, but pretty sure there are plenty of mini van families with only one kid. I am an only child and my dad had a Corvair.

This thing will be an interesting mini van alternative for people that drive to the airport instead of their destination.

After decades with Suburbans i will never again be without a pickup, but i want the hybrid.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Assuming I understand it correctly, I much prefer the Rav 4 Prime approach of 42 electric powered miles, then regular gas operation. 42 miles would handle a lot of regular puttering around, but still leave a vehicle that can go much further if necessary using gas.
    Hybrids (plug in particularly) do work way better for versatility but it comes at the expense of a lot of complexity and maintenance.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Rockey View Post

I can't say I'm "disappointed". Can't really get mad at a leopard for being spotted. Tesla does this shit too where they tell you it's $40k, 350 mile range, and 2 seconds 0-60, meanwhile you can't even actually buy a car at all with all of those specs.

Given today's fullsize truck pricing, I also don't think that $55k is that out of line.

and there's no way anyone was going to actually think an electric truck with 300 mile range was going to do 0-60 in 4.x seconds for $40k.

and I'll wait to see a cybertruck on the road before I compare one to the other. Honestly though, the specs are pretty comparable.

A $40k Cybertruck gets 250 miles of range and 6.5 seconds to 60 (comparable to the Lightning)
    A $50k Cybertruck gets 300 miles of range and 4.5 seconds to 60 (comparable to the Lightning)
    to get Lightning-beating specs you have to spend $70k to get 500 miles of range and 2.9 seconds to 60 (which is all still theoretical IMO, and which isn't available *yet* in the Ford but fill up that frunk with batteries and who knows...)

and then you're driving around in a vehicle that looks like it is the illegitimate hate-child of Neo and Clu.

ETA:
    The Rivian isn't really any different. $70k to go 300 miles and 3 seconds to 60.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List