Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford F-150 Lightning

I am super-excited by this technology, but the range is a deal killer for me, and I suspect many other rural/woodsbumming people. We'd probably get about 100 miles on a charge towing our trailer.

Still, we'll see where the battery technology goes.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

This looks great for urban dwellers, but I think the Powerboost is more practical for those that don't live near charging stations.
    #RESIST

How long does it take to recharge the battery regardless of the range?

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I am super-excited by this technology, but the range is a deal killer for me, and I suspect many other rural/woodsbumming people. We'd probably get about 100 miles on a charge towing our trailer.

Still, we'll see where the battery technology goes.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.car...-range-towing/

Even for outdoorsy yuppies like myself, 230 miles is laughable. Get to location, camp, hike, start heading back. Stop at charging station (or worse yet, regular 120V) for hours? Pray there's no traffic so I can make it home?

I'm digging the hybrid but that $$$
    Last edited by Pyromancer; 05-20-2021 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    How long does it take to recharge the battery regardless of the range?
    Ford will offer three levels of home charging options, including 32-amp Ford mobile-charging unit that runs on either 120- or 240-volt household AC, which is standard with a lease or purchase. Ford says this unit will fully recharge the standard-range battery in 14 hours and the extended range battery in 19 hours. A 48-amp Ford Connected wall mount charge station is optional. It requires a 240-volt source and can charge the batteries in 10 and 13 hours, respectively. But all home chargers that draw more than 40 amps must be hardwired to the electrical wiring rather than go through a plug; that raises the cost. See How To Buy And Install The Right EV Charger for details.

Ford also offers the 80-amp Charge Station Pro, which shortens charge time for the extended-range battery to 8 hours.

Buyers with access to an Electrify America DC Level 2 50 kW fast-charging station can increase the battery charge from 15% to 80% in 91 minutes for the standard battery and 122 minutes for the extended battery. A DC charger that operates at a full 150 kW output drops the times to around 40 minutes for both batteries. Additionally, a quick 10-minute charge session can add up to 41 or 54 miles. (Such chargers draw too much power and are too costly for home installation.) Conversely, an hour on the standard 32-amp home charger adds 14 or 13 miles, respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.car...-range-towing/

Even for outdoorsy yuppies like myself, 230 miles is laughable. Get to location, camp, hike, start heading back. Stop at charging station (or worse yet, regular 120V) for hours? Pray there's no traffic so I can make it home?

I'm digging the hybrid but that $$$
    I think it makes sense for people who use it as an in-town work truck. Your plumber could drive around with it all day long from service call to service call, plug it in at night, and never buy a drop of gasoline.

The second group of people who could use this are the people who honestly don't need a pickup truck to begin with. There are plenty of crew-cab F150s used as kid-haulers and the occasional grocery getters. That's kind of ridiculous, but it's A Thing.

I think the beauty of the F150 right now is the damn thing can be configured so many different ways with six ICE engine choices, a hybrid, an all electric, three cab sizes, three bed sizes, different drive trains, and a dizzying array of option packages.

I use our truck as a rural utility vehicle, trailer tow vehicle, family "soft roading" adventure mobile and hunting truck. The electric really won't work for guys like me.

But there has to be some electricians and plumbers out there that are saying "I could put my contractor truck cap on that and NEVER BUY GAS AGAIN."
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I'll pass

There are plenty of crew-cab F150s used as kid-haulers and the occasional grocery getters. That's kind of ridiculous, but it's A Thing.
    I'd bet those buyers outnumber the folks that consider themselves "real" truck users by a huge margin.

I'm probably one of them.

Every time I think about getting rid of a truck, before I can buy something else I wind up making a Home Depot run, hauling bikes, or doing something else with the bed that makes the downsides (which, for me, really only comes down to some parking conditions) worthwhile.

I've even considered putting a piece of tape on the tailgate and writing the date on it so that the next time I actually drop the gate I can see when I last opened it, just to have some idea of how infrequently I use it, but then I remember that when I DO use it I'm super glad to have had it.

*could* I come home and get my trailer, and haul stuff that way with a small SUV or a car? Yeah, absolutely. Would it be as convenient? not even remotely.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Assuming I understand it correctly, I much prefer the Rav 4 Prime approach of 42 electric powered miles, then regular gas operation. 42 miles would handle a lot of regular puttering around, but still leave a vehicle that can go much further if necessary using gas.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The second group of people who could use this are the people who honestly don't need a pickup truck to begin with. There are plenty of crew-cab F150s used as kid-haulers and the occasional grocery getters. That's kind of ridiculous, but it's A Thing.
    I am this ridiculous person. But in my defense we have a Corolla for DD stuff

User Tag List