Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford F-150 Lightning

Pardon me, but I don't need or even want 600 hp and a dragster start. I would trade a lot of that "performance" for more range in a daily driver truck or car.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Pardon me, but I don't need or even want 600 hp and a dragster start. I would trade a lot of that "performance" for more range in a daily driver truck or car.
    that's an interesting point. The EV market definitely seems fixated on the speed aspect.

However, I don't know that the power:range is linear?

I'm sort of assuming if you go speeding all around at 600hp and 4.x seconds you're not going to get 300 miles anyway?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockey View Post
    I was super disappointed by the specs on this thing. I have to preface this by saying that I was very excited about Ford launching an electric F-150. But the price point and specs on this thing as well as how it was presented to the public vs the reality is in my opinion deceptive.

During the launch they stated that it will have a zero to 60 of 4.5 seconds, 600 horsepower, a 300 mile range, and a starting price of slightly under $40,000. However when you read the actual press release with the details, the $40,000 model will actually be around $42,000 at the dealerships and only have 230 miles of range, a 0 to 60 of six seconds, and significantly less power.

In order to get all of the features, range and power that were presented during the launch you will have to step up to the XLT model that will have a street price around $55,000. And all of that still only comes with a 300 mile range. I know people have mixed feelings about the styling of the Cyber truck, but Tesla has Superior technology and a better price for the same specs on the mid-range cybertruck. I was hoping for some real competition, but with the superior features of the cybertruck and a better price I think Ford has some work to do before they are going to be able to compete.
    At least with Ford what they say and do is far closer to reality than Tesla's "smoke up your ass" marketing.

On average take 20% off range for "real world" usage. (that means 240-ish on big battery)

0-60 numbers are usually on a 80%+ full battery.

Estimated towing at capacity in the lightning with bigger "motor" is about 80-100 miles.

More range would require bigger batteries...no way to use less power and get longer range.

I heard the big battery model weighs about 1K more than a ICE model.

Electric will work for commuter vehicles but not for "work" at least not yet.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Hybrids (plug in particularly) do work way better for versatility but it comes at the expense of a lot of complexity and maintenance.
    The Toyota hybrid system is kinda neat in that the ICE engine drives a generator that charges the battery and provides electrical power to the motor that drives the wheels. There's no mechanical transmission to the wheels. This makes things simpler, and lets your engine run at its most efficient rpm.

So, just this very morning I read this (in an issue that has been laying in the bathroom since September...):
    https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...range-numbers/

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    However, I don't know that the power:range is linear?
    Article said just like IC, smaller motors are more efficient. In the case of Tesla adding AWD they went to a smaller second motor that could run the car without using the larger original motor and gained speed AND range.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'm sort of assuming if you go speeding all around at 600hp and 4.x seconds you're not going to get 300 miles anyway?
    And they generate battery heat that requires detuning on the fly. This year in the Lightning Lap issue (yeah, I still subscribe...) the Taycan was the first EV they have ever got to make it through the three lap testing cycle at VIR (4.1mi Grand Course):
    https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ning-lap-2021/

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    At least with Ford what they say and do is far closer to reality than Tesla's "smoke up your ass" marketing.
    This article showed the Taycan, with an EPA range of only 192mi, went just as far as the S:
    https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...s-performance/

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    On average take 20% off range for "real world" usage.
    One thing I read (the above article, maybe?) said that Tesla also recommends only charging to 80% for daily use, and only using 100% if you are taking a trip. They also pointed out that you cannot use up all of the range because you have to find a charging station, you cannot typically coast in with no reserve like gasoline.

I think these things would be cool for a lot of people, but just like the Mustang it is not going to have that many people selling their IC F-150 to get one. But the situation Rob is in might be a good fit. You have a single family dwelling with a garage and good electric service, you can use the HOV lane, most of your hauling is local, and you have the van for road trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    The Toyota hybrid system is kinda neat in that the ICE engine drives a generator that charges the battery and provides electrical power to the motor that drives the wheels. There's no mechanical transmission to the wheels. This makes things simpler, and lets your engine run at its most efficient rpm.
    Yup, an accessory genset is a lot better than a mechanical transmission with PTI/PTO, which is weaksauce; but it's still a genset.
    Ignore Alien Orders

When they figure out how to apply this so the vehicle is always recharging while driving, they will sell all the EV's they can make.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer View Post
    I live just outside Boston, a well known techy city, and I'd be hesitant to own a vehicle that couldn't be charged when the grid is out. Who cares if it can power your house when the power goes out (for how long too) if you also can't
    charge it.
    Hello fellow Masshole. This is less of an issue since power outages also mean gas pumps don't work as they need electricity to operate. Pure EV is a no for me since I live in the city and would only think about it with a dedicated charger and parking spot.

But I think this is a great first step. Obviously doesn't work well for rural folks or those tarilering long distance. It fills the role of an in town work truck with a daily driver. I'd probably want a gasser for long trips, but if you are a two vehicle family this is pretty awesome for one of those roles.

Quote Originally Posted by karandom View Post
    Hello fellow Masshole. This is less of an issue since power outages also mean gas pumps don't work as they need electricity to operate. Pure EV is a no for me since I live in the city and would only think about it with a dedicated charger and parking spot.

But I think this is a great first step. Obviously doesn't work well for rural folks or those tarilering long distance. It fills the role of an in town work truck with a daily driver. I'd probably want a gasser for long trips, but if you are a two vehicle family this is pretty awesome for one of those roles.
    Another Masshole-who'd you sleep with to get an LTC?

In a power outage I was thinking running off a generator vs an electric vehicle. Not sure id want to do that especially if it was my primary vehicle.
    I'm a Ford shareholder and prospective future customer. I know a lot of urban folks own full sized trucks (bit excessive). Just wish they had put the E-powertrain in the Ranger first-would likely have longer range, and a better fit for yuppies. Keep the gas in the "real truck" until the technology is ready for prime time.

User Tag List