Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford F-150 Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    Electric cars are city cars.
    For now.

But even in the “cuntry”, so few trucks ever actually see a load in the bed, let alone a trailer being towed.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    For now.

But even in the “cuntry”, so few trucks ever actually see a load in the bed, let alone a trailer being towed.
    It’s not only about the abysmal range towing, which makes it useless as a truck. It’s the distance vs range vs available charging options/times. Electric cars will be city cars until this changes.

Hybrids make so much more sense if you actually want to go somewhere.

It’s not only about the abysmal range towing, which makes it useless as a truck. It’s the distance vs range vs available charging options/times. Electric cars will be city cars until this changes.
    No shit huh?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I agree that a diesel electric hybrid is what is needed right now.
    At $6.50/gal and up, damn skippy.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Big let down.

Ford lightning was traditionally a single cab short wheelbase focused on performance.

The more the big 3 auto manufactures try the less I am interested in all of there releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    At $6.50/gal and up, damn skippy.
    $4.50 here, but in any case, it will take quit a while to realize savings on gas by buying a new truck.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Maybe mount a generator in the truck bed for long trips?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

It would take a lot for that to be road legal. That's the plan whenever the Cybertruck actually gets here but you have to pull over to charge.

I'm not sure how much it would actually get enforced, probably depends on the area.

Sounds like a great idea!!!
    I think in the case of the F-150 being discussed it would be easy to trade out the frunk for a genset.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    It would take a lot for that to be road legal.
    Yes, at one point I had a sales effort going on with these guys and at the time (looks like now that is abandoned) and they had a plan for a range extender that fired up ONLY when the truck was stopped, as a work around. My understanding was that if it was propelling the moving vehicle then it had to go through all of the EPA hoops same as a car or a truck engine, but if it was stopped then it would be like an APU. Not sure if this is actually true or if they actually ever delivered any, but I know it was one scheme.

Pretty much every gas truck I have had used pretty much twice as much gas when it was towing something heavy, so I would expect a plug in truck to go half as far. I really do think there is an opportunity for some kind of series hybrid setup where you could keep driving on a generator (like trains, like those big mining trucks) as long as you needed to, but probably on most days it would never fire up. Probably ~340 days a year I do not drive more than the range of these plug-in trucks, but I want/need a truck that will tow 6500 pounds 200-500mi when I want/need it to, and if a few days a year I had to pour some fossil fuel in it that would be fine, better than stopping (ETA: and probably unhooking the trailer) for an hour every 150mi. Plus a truck like this would enjoy the performance characteristics of the simplistic electric drivetrain. And the genset could run at an efficient stead state, including when the vehicle is stopped while you pee and eat, while the truck is climbing hills or coasting down one, just running as long as it needs to, and not when not.

All kinds of things could be cool, but it like a religion for some, and right now some people are in power and just want to tear down what is working pretty damn well, instead of letting options develop and be integrated into the marketplace. Instead we are going to be struggling to dig up enough cobalt and struggling to dig up enough lithium, and struggling to dig up enough copper, and IMO screwing up existing segments of the economy by forcing the process.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    For this power unit, how much of the payload/tongue weight would it take up? EVs are already pretty heavy, and even the existing 1/2 ton diesels full o' luxury features and storage bits-n-bobs already have pretty reduced payloads. Plus emissions compliance, warranty issues, extra costs on what's already a high dollar vehicle? Dunno there's enough buyers out there for it to make it worth the bother for the companies that are already selling every unit they make.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List