Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Esee 3 competitor's?

Esee 3 competitor's?

I cant seem to find my esee 3 after my move to NH. Is there anything better for a fixed blade gp knife for an equivalent price? Bonus if I can get it on amazon to utilize some gift cards.

ESEE Izula (only half tongue-in-cheek)
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

DPX HEST, the original.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Apparently the Pioneer woman pairing knife is a good blade. There is some hype stemming from Ed Calderon showing them not breaking when stabbing shit when other stuff did. I have no idea if the hype is real... but for $8 at walmart I'm going to find out how it is in the kitchen at a minimum.

Double tap. Stoopid phone.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    ESEE Izula (only half tongue-in-cheek)
    Indeed.

I have been slowly paring down (!) the edged goodies here at Casa del Gato, and recently gifted the last ESEE 3 to a kid who will use it more than I do... not because the 3 isn't useful, but because the Izulas are the ones getting used (or just taken along) more often. The modularity of the Izula and the aftermarket sheath/handle situation has made them super easy to make "just right."

The knife that I actually came to like better than the ESEE 3 is the EKA Nordic H8... a knife that is almost - ALMOST - too elegant to use.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I cant seem to find my esee 3 after my move to NH. Is there anything better for a fixed blade gp knife for an equivalent price? Bonus if I can get it on amazon to utilize some gift cards.
    ESEE 3 HM. Bigger handle no choil.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    ESEE 3 HM. Bigger handle no choil.
    I actually like the choil.

I ended up ordering another esee 3. Thinking back on the 10 + years of using it I never really had a complaint about it besides rust but it was getting used daily on a commercial fishing boat.

Ive looked at the izula but prefer the little longer blade.

Does anyone carry the 3 or similar iwb?

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I've looked at the izula but prefer the little longer blade.
    If the knife is being used hard in a commercial situation, I'd pick the ESEE 3 over the Izula too... a bigger blade AND handle. I just found that for my general purpose fixed blade needs, the Izula worked out better for me. If the Izula is really too small for a job, I go to an ESEE PR-4 (because "Horace").
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Apparently the Pioneer woman pairing knife is a good blade. There is some hype stemming from Ed Calderon showing them not breaking when stabbing shit when other stuff did. I have no idea if the hype is real... but for $8 at walmart I'm going to find out how it is in the kitchen at a minimum.
    That's interesting. I've long thought about having a slightly beefier version of my Henkel pairing knife custom made. The size and profile are just so comfortable and handy. Thinner at the front, thicker at the back of the blade; just long enough to penetrate where you'd want to without being so long that you lose the ability to really torque down and push the blade down hard.

As to ESEE replacement option, maybe Bradford Knives or Bark River Knives for a comparable quality/cost option?

User Tag List