Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Esee 3 competitor's?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

Does anyone carry the 3 or similar iwb?
    I've done similar with the Izula stock sheath and DCC Clip, pictures later in the thread:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1184959

You did the right thing ordering another ESEE 3.

The only two blades I'd consider carrying in the field besides an ESEE 3 is the aforementioned DPX HEST, which is itself, a modified form of the ESEE 3. And the Min Tom Brown Tracker (#4) from Tops - https://www.topsknives.com/tom-brown-tracker-4-mini - Or, I suppose, a custom version of the Mini Tracker from Dave Wenger Blades.

Gryphon M10 is a solid option of comparable size:

-Full Flat Grind for good slicing performance

- 3/16" laminated VG10 steel for durability and edge retention

- Ergonomics suitable for both tactical and utility work

- $100 shipped from Cutlery Shop

- Made in Japan from same factory that makes Falkniven outdoor knives

https://cutleryshoppe.com/gryphon-m1...athpro-sheath/

Site Supporter
    I’ve been carrying the D2 version of the Becker bk14 for the last several years and prefer it over the essee izula for the larger blade, but compact izula compatible handle. At 50ish bucks I think the carbon steel model is a good value, but since I dislike corrosion and resharpening on my edc blades I do greatly prefer the edge holding ability of D2. I wish they would do a couple more runs of the D2 bk24 I’d gladly pay $100-$120 for one.

Name:  550FC297-1107-4CEE-88AB-CE283CBE4B2D.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  19.7 KB

https://www.bladehq.com/item--KaBar-...cker-BK14--707
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I’ve been carrying the D2 version of the Becker bk14 for the last several years and prefer it over the essee izula for the larger blade, but compact izula compatible handle.
    The few bushcraft guys I know with these get a lot of use out of them, and are big fans.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    The few bushcraft guys I know with these get a lot of use out of them, and are big fans.
    I have to admit that blade length can be a consumable on certain knives that I own. Though I think I’ll relegate the bk24 to knives only tasks now that it’s on the third re-grind/profile. I still love the working edge D2 hold if you have incidental contact with abrasives while cutting

Name:  148B6867-7A91-4132-8051-608C7F0B0276.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  45.8 KB

I’ve considered cutting of the circlular hole on the handle to make it a little three finger pocket blade, but am currently undecided on that mod.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

I've been a fan of D2 for years. Got introduced to it via the enthusiasm of both Bob Dozier and Kit Carson for the steel.

It's obviously not as popular in recent years due to the "super" stainless and tool steels that are prevalent, but still a viable, good edge holding, somewhat corrosion resistant option. I have several knives in D2.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I don't have any personal experience with them, but I've been eyeing the TOPS Baja 4.5 lately, and I see they have a Baja 3.0 that looks like it would fit the bill.

I would say actually my favorite knife steels are D2 and 154CM and its various derivatives (ATS-34, CPM-154, RWL-34)*.

Given a choice between those two steels and anything else, I'd probably go with one of those two. In fact, I frequently shop for knives I don't need, by sorting based on blade steel. D2 and the 154-variants.

In terms of raw performance, both are highly similar, the edge (heh) for hefty outdoor work goes to D2, which is generally a bit softer and rolls, instead of chipping if you're doing mean things to it. But general functional chores with a knife (cutting your sandwich, cutting a box, etc.), and corrosion resistance the baton goes to the 154-variants for better edge holding and corrision-resistance.

I frequently carry a D2 (DpX HEST) or 154CM (Emerson) knife and view them as functionally interchangeable. In general, my big take away is that folks tend to leave D2 quite thick in the spine and grind a relatively thick convex or saber edge. Where as you're more likely to find flat or hollow grinds with 154-variants, which is also why 154-variant knives tend to slice better, since grind plays a much bigger role in slicing than the steel itself.

*Technically, these are all different steels made from different metallurgical methods. However, they are chemically very similar in that the amounts of elements that form the alloys are the same, and functionally the steels harden to much the same realm and offer virtually the same performance.

Personally, I own the gamut of steels from high end to low end.

Most times I'd prefer CPM Cru-Wear or 3V. Excellent balance of toughness, edge holding and corrosion resistance.

CPM-MagnaCut looks like it's going to be some very good stainless with most of the toughness and edge holding of CPM Cru-Wear...according to Dr. Larrin Thomas. (I will check it out at some point in the future. Larrin's good people.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List