Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone notice the Beef prices lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I wasn't aware of that but not surprising. I just know that by statute illegal immigrants aren't eligible for unemployment insurance. WA lost 650 million in unemployment fraud so nothing surprises me with Inslee or anyone in Olympia anymore.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

We raise hogs and chickens for most of our meat. Our only red meat is venison. I was blessed to get 2 deer last year, so we're pretty solid on 'hamburger.' We hope to be able to run beef steers on our land within another couple of years, but the prep work on what will be their pasture is heavy and I'm not prepared to kill myself or our budget to try to get the cattle on the land more quickly. Anyway, my point in this post is that the costs of meat have increased significantly across the board. This year, our meat birds cost us a good bit more than previous years, and I felt lucky to find them. They arrived a couple of weeks later than I wanted them to because of low availability. I think maybe the main reason for increased cost of the birds is loss in shipping, but I also just think demand is way up.

Pigs were hard to find last spring, and have been almost impossible to find this spring. I thought I had some a couple of weeks ago, but someone bought the whole lot out from under me. I am making a call this morning to a guy who has 4 available in a few weeks. Once again, that will be considerably later than normal--ordinarily I like to get my feeder pigs by early May. It's also more than usual. We generally raise 3 and sell 1 1/2. But this guy has 4 to sell and I offered to take all 4 rather than just 3 because I thought it would make it more likely he wouldn't wind up selling the lot out from under me like the last guy did.

Long story short, availability is way down--prices have risen accordingly. No doubt relatedly, the deer take in my state last year was up by a large amount. I want to say 20% but that seems to high when I write it down. Anyway, I know it went way up. I don't know if that will have effects on this year's take.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post

Pigs were hard to find last spring, and have been almost impossible to find this spring.
    Unless I am mistaken, a shortage of pigs will eventually result in a shortage of pulled pork...

Name:  PIGLET.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  82.1 KB
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Unless I am mistaken, a shortage of pigs will eventually result in a shortage of pulled pork...
    I am afraid you are correct. It is a terrible prospect.

FYI, I see you are a yankee so I don't hold it against you, but the scientific name is barbeque.

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    I guess you don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to further deduce that there is a impending (dare I say it) Bacon Shortage!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I guess you don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to further deduce that there is a impending (dare I say it) Bacon Shortage!
    Better not to speak of it.

Better not to speak of it.

I am afraid you are correct. It is a terrible prospect.

FYI, I see you are a yankee so I don't hold it against you, but the scientific name is barbeque.
    Mexican name is Carnitas. Depends on how you like your pulled pork. We had a BBQ place here that did a pretty mean BBQ pulled pork sandwich but they folded. Carnitas seems to be the preferred taste in these parts and we're about as far away from MX as you can get without going into Canada.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List