Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Classic Margarita Recipe/Proportions

I follow Alton Brown’s recipe - all members of the family like it. Espolon Blanco.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

From Ted Haigh's "Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Coctails":

The Original Margarita

1-1/2 Oz. Blanco Tequila
    1-1/2 Oz. Cointreau (I found a Mexican version that was cheap and 80 proof)
    1-1/2 Oz. lime juice ( I use 1 Oz.)

I also put a pinch of salt in. Shake in a shaker with ice and pour in a cocktail glass.

If you're going to shake it, crushed ice.

I make mine by shaker full for usually 2-4 people.

4-ounces of tequila (Milagro Silver remains a go to).
    2-ounces of triple sec, I do not use Cointreau, I find the flavor is too strong and the spirit is too strong. You're looking for an orange flavor, a disturbing amount of sugar, and some light booze content in a triple sec.
    1 - whole lime, squeezed. Slice the squeezed lime into 1/4s and drop a quarter into your shaker.
    1/2 cup of crushed ice

Shake until the shaker is too cold to hold onto. The crushed ice will dissolve, watering the pretty heavy mixture above down. Pour over a few ice cubes in a glass with a salted rim.

___

In lieu of a triple sec or Cointreau, if you want to get radical, use about tablespoon of simple syrup and take a fresh blood orange and squeeze about half of it into your shaker, along with the lime, tequila, and ice. Reduce the ice content (since you reduced the booze content) to around 1/3rd cup.

Site Supporter
    If you are using a high quality resposado, then I suggest omitting the orange liqueur altogether, and use instead agave syrup, which will help showcase the tequila’s flavor in the margarita. If you go this route, then I recommend 2 oz of resposado, 1 oz of lime juice, and only 0.5 oz of agave syrup. Shake with ice and strain into a chilled glass with a single large ice cube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Haven’t done it yet, but I plan to try this guy’s methods in the coming weeks (why a woodworker is suddenly posting drinks videos on YouTube, I have no idea)

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

As a long time member of AR15.com, I have met a lot of good people through that forum over the years. One of the best was "Eric the Hun" aka Wayne. Wayne had a way about him; thoughtful, intelligent, funny, and a little arrogance. Wayne made great margaritas. Wayne's Windex Margaritas to be exact.

3 parts Jose Cuervo Marg Mix
    1 part gold tequila
    1 part Triple Sec
    Blue Curacao to the color of Windex
    Nice wedge of lime
    Served on ice

I like the glass lightly rimmed with at 50/50 sugar-salt mix

I know its not a classy margarita, and the members of the Finer Things Club will scowl, sneer, or frown upon it. But its tasty, and it harkens back to some good memories.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    If you're going to shake it, crushed ice.
    In general, I disagree with the use of crushed ice in the shaker. You completely lose control of your dilution, and would save time by adding water to the drink and putting it in the fridge. (Which, for a large batch, is a good idea)

If you are using crushed ice, shake with either a couple of cubes, or (better) a large king cube in the shaker until cold, then pour over crushed ice in the glass. Then the consumer has the option to adjust their preferred dilution by drinking it immediately (stronger) or waiting a few minutes (weaker). It's the same amount of booze in the glass, the ice is just controlling how boozy it tastes.

For the OP, I don't particularly like margaritas. I infinitely prefer a paloma. But, if you have a group, I've made this recipe before. Saves a lot of prep time at the gathering.

https://jeffreymorgenthaler.com/a-gallon-of-margaritas/

And, just because I brought it up, here's the paloma recipe I use.

https://www.seriouseats.com/grapefru...ocktail-recipe

Site Supporter
    Since it is more or less strawberry season, another worthwhile project is to make strawberry infused tequila. Pour about 16oz of tequila (better quality tequila yields better results - I would use a decent resposado) into a 1 liter jar, then fill it the rest of the way with halved strawberries. Wait about 3 weeks, agitating the mixture periodically. At the end of that time, you will get something like this:

It’s a really lovely color. The nose is like a fresh field of strawberries, with slightly earthy overtones. The first sip is also definitely strawberry forward, with the agave in the background, followed by an oakey, almondy, almost tannic astringency, like a wine. It’s interesting as a sipper, but really shines in cocktails. It’ll make the best strawberry margarita you’ve ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    Since it is more or less strawberry season, another worthwhile project is to make strawberry infused tequila. Pour about 16oz of tequila (better quality tequila yields better results - I would use a decent resposado) into a 1 liter jar, then fill it the rest of the way with halved strawberries. Wait about 3 weeks, agitating the mixture periodically. At the end of that time, you will get something like this:

It’s a really lovely color. The nose is like a fresh field of strawberries, with slightly earthy overtones. The first sip is also definitely strawberry forward, with the agave in the background, followed by an oakey, almondy, almost tannic astringency, like a wine. It’s interesting as a sipper, but really shines in cocktails. It’ll make the best strawberry margarita you’ve ever had.

This. But, if I may differ a bit, go for the strawberry Paloma rather than Margarita... http://www.cocktailchronicles.com/20...oma-mi-amante/

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Thanatos View Post
    In general, I disagree with the use of crushed ice in the shaker. You completely lose control of your dilution, and would save time by adding water to the drink and putting it in the fridge. (Which, for a large batch, is a good idea)

If you are using crushed ice, shake with either a couple of cubes, or (better) a large king cube in the shaker until cold, then pour over crushed ice in the glass. Then the consumer has the option to adjust their preferred dilution by drinking it immediately (stronger) or waiting a few minutes (weaker). It's the same amount of booze in the glass, the ice is just controlling how boozy it tastes.

For the OP, I don't particularly like margaritas. I infinitely prefer a paloma. But, if you have a group, I've made this recipe before. Saves a lot of prep time at the gathering.

https://jeffreymorgenthaler.com/a-gallon-of-margaritas/

And, just because I brought it up, here's the paloma recipe I use.

https://www.seriouseats.com/grapefru...ocktail-recipe
    Sorry Rob, I must agree with whole ice. Mostly based on tiki drinks, but I used to consider Margaritas my favorite mixed drink. Less dilution, more flavor.

I was drinking more Palomas, pre-covid (favored by my friends) but when I was drinking them semi-regularly:

2oz Altos
    1oz Gran Mariner
    1oz fresh squeezed lime juice

Better version: make a batch like the above recipe 24 hours in advance, add the zest from the limes. Filter into large chilled Martini glasses.

These days, I just drink a proper daiquiri.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List