Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RFI: Classic Margarita Recipe/Proportions

I’ve made the real deal, and it’s great. But limeade +, is sooo easy. Slice of jalapeño too..
    Last edited by Isaac; 05-21-2021 at 02:05 AM.

Margarita de Guerrero (Mk. 2)

Summary: much, much better, but could be just a little sweeter.

3 oz. blanco Tequila
    2 oz. Cointreau
    1 oz. lime juice

put all in a shaker with ice and shake the dickens out of it. Strain over ice and lime slice into glass rimmed with 50/50 salt/sugar (thanks @Brian T).

I tried the suggestion of "3-2-1" and blanco tequila and it worked well (thanks @Jac)
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Margarita de Guerrero (Mk. 3)

Summary: still very good, but just a tad too sweet now.

3 oz. blanco tequila
    1 oz. Cointreau
    1 oz. agave syrup
    1 oz. lime juice

put all in a shaker with ice and shake the dickens out of it. Strain over ice and lime slice into glass rimmed with 50/50 salt/sugar.

This time I tried to make it sweeter by adding agave (thanks @RoyGBiv @littlejerry), but now it's just a little too sweet.

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Margarita de Guerrero (Mk. 3)

Summary: still very good, but just a tad too sweet now.

3 oz. blanco tequila
    1 oz. Cointreau
    1 oz. agave syrup
    1 oz. lime juice

put all in a shaker with ice and shake the dickens out of it. Strain over ice and lime slice into glass rimmed with 50/50 salt/sugar.

This time I tried to make it sweeter by adding agave (thanks @RoyGBiv @littlejerry), but now it's just a little too sweet.
    My mixology rule-of-thumb is no more than 1/2 oz of sweetener (simple syrup, maple syrup, grenadine, etc) in any cocktail I make. Maybe a bit more if it's really tart otherwise.

I bet if you cut back to a tablespoon or so of agave, that will probably work . Lime juice can really vary on tartness. I wish the giant key limes that were a Covid substitution for Persian limes were still in the grocery store. They were amazing for drinks.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Margarita de Guerrero (Mk. 4)

2.5 oz. blanco tequila
    2.5 oz. Cointreau
    1 oz. lime juice

Summary: tried to get a little sweeter w/o agave syrup. Still very good, but not sweet enough, and I've lost some of the good tequila taste.

Next time I might try using Grand Mariner or cheaper triple sec instead of the Cointreau, or go back to 3-2-1 with just a little agave.

2.5 oz. blanco tequila
    2.5 oz. Cointreau
    1 oz. lime juice

Summary: tried to get a little sweeter w/o agave syrup. Still very good, but not sweet enough, and I've lost some of the good tequila taste.

Next time I might try using Grand Mariner or cheaper triple sec instead of the Cointreau, or go back to 3-2-1 with just a little agave.
    I typically don't even include the Cointreau. Tequila, lime juice, and then add agave to taste.

If I'm out of limes I'll use oranges. Blood oranges are also good. Not a margarita, but pretty damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I typically don't even include the Cointreau. Tequila, lime juice, and then add agave to taste.

If I'm out of limes I'll use oranges. Blood oranges are also good. Not a margarita, but pretty damn good.
    I saw you post that before. I'm toying with that idea. Having married into a family with Mexican roots, I'm trying to stay traditional.

Site Supporter

2.5 oz. blanco tequila
    2.5 oz. Cointreau
    1 oz. lime juice

I don't taste the Cointreau when I've used it. Triple Sec does fine for adding a bit of orange zestiness.
    Never occurred to me to try zesting an orange instead... Fewer calories . Will try to remember to give it a try next time daughter is home.
    She's a Margarita fan, so, that's about the only time we make them at home these days.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List