Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Shotgun manual of arms: safe while searching?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post

@TCinVA made an interesting, valid point about the placement of the safety button potentially creating the very problem we're trying to prevent. I had this photo taken Friday afternoon. While I don't see me foreswearing the use of the safety, it's worth some thought on what could mitigate the issue he raised. Thanks Tim.
    Smart people exchanging ideas and information is what PF is all about. I'll be interested to see what you come up with.
    3/15/2016

Work 870 have stock safety. Safety on top of trigger finger on safety, disengage as you mount the gun. That’s how I was trained at both academies I’ve been through. When I dismount I break my grip and put it back on. My personal 870 has the Wilson safety, I can use the side of my trigger finger to disengage it, much more ergonomic for me. I do the exact same thing on my 1301C for 3 gun stuff.

The only shotgun use I have is in the house as a stationary, not searching weapon. The gun is slide back, shell on elevator, safety off.

If I were to take the shotgun to go searching, I wouldn't use the safety, because the gun lacks a sling. So if I had to put it down, I'm going to run the pump to eject my live round and then roll it over and dump the round off the elevator out too. I won't go so far as to finish emptying the tube, but that would render it safe for sitting it down.

Still, I switched a rifle for this role and one reason I picked the Sig Rattler/MCX is that it has a firing pin block safety, making it drop safe. Allowing me to forego "cruiser ready" and worry far less about drop safety.

User Tag List