Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun manual of arms: safe while searching?

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    I work with the safety on. I ride the safety with my trigger finger - my 1301 and 870s all have the safety buttons reversed. Also, in my classes, I strongly encourage the use of the safety.

Do the same with an AR and have a preference for handguns with frame-mounted safeties as well.

eta: I came up under instructors who taught using the safety.
    I do the same. I don't like enlarged safeties. I was taught many moons ago to ride the safety of the 870 with my trigger finger and have always done so.

In my mind searching with the safety off on an 870 (which is a single action gun typically with about a 4lbs trigger pull which will inertia fire if dropped or slammed hard enough) is no different than searching with the safety off on a 1911, which is also a big no-no where I come from.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I do the same. I don't like enlarged safeties. I was taught many moons ago to ride the safety of the 870 with my trigger finger and have always done so.

In my mind searching with the safety off on an 870 (which is a single action gun typically with about a 4lbs trigger pull which will inertia fire if dropped or slammed hard enough) is no different than searching with the safety off on a 1911, which is also a big no-no where I come from.
    Bingo. Either issued 870 or M1S90 at home, I ride the safety with my trigger finger with the safety on while searching. As the gun is mounted into the shoulder, safety gets taken off as the trigger finger goes in to the trigger guard. I learned this from some guys named Reitz and Awerbuck.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Bingo. Either issued 870 or M1S90 at home, I ride the safety with my trigger finger with the safety on while searching. As the gun is mounted into the shoulder, safety gets taken off as the trigger finger goes in to the trigger guard. I learned this from some guys named Reitz and Awerbuck.
    This. All day this. And what Erick and KevH said too. Maybe it's something in the Bay Area water?

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    This. All day this. And what Erick and KevH said too. Maybe it's something in the Bay Area water?
    I think it's a West Coast Shotgun thing.

Site Supporter
    It's a PA thing too.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

I think its a Gunsite thing. My initial shotgun training was from John Farnham and Manny Kapelson. They were popular instructors at the time and were former Gunsite instructors. Its what they taught and what I learned. Gunsite had a big influence on the West Coast training. It did make it to the east coast and thats how I roll. I’ve taken other shotgun classes that teach engaging the safety, too.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    I think its a Gunsite thing. ... Gunsite had a big influence on the West Coast training. It did make it to the east coast and thats how I roll. I’ve taken other shotgun classes that teach engaging the safety, too.
    I definitely agree. Gunsite, Jeans, Awerbuck, Reitz, Cain, and I'd imagine more.

Is defending or searching a structure while a Glock without a mechanical, frame-mounted safety unsafe? No. I carried one for a bit over three years and searched more than a few structures with it.

In contrast though, would defending or searching a structure with a firearm that had a mechanical, frame-mounted safety - like a 1911 or M4 - and taking it off, leaving it off long before ever encountering a shootable threat be unsafe? I'll stick with using the safety and do my best to explain the "why."

Name:  IMG_9480.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  92.0 KB

@TCinVA made an interesting, valid point about the placement of the safety button potentially creating the very problem we're trying to prevent. I had this photo taken Friday afternoon. While I don't see me foreswearing the use of the safety, it's worth some thought on what could mitigate the issue he raised. Thanks Tim.

@jlw - would you elaborate on:
    There are times when I use shotguns in a "patrol" versus a "defense in the home" paradigm, and it is two different mindsets?

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post

@jlw - would you elaborate on:
    At home, the shotty is set up as I described above. At home, it's a different mission than standing perimeter, making an entry, etc. At work, a shotgun in the rack would be set up for storage ready, but I wouldn't make an entry or be on a perimeter without a round in the chamber, and then it would be finger/thumb on the safety if at a ready.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

As the gun is mounted into the shoulder, safety gets taken off as the trigger finger goes in to the trigger guard.
    I agree with this whether you are a safety off or a safety on person. You should train to hit the safety off every time you are preparing to fire. It eliminates one variable that can prevent the gun from firing.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    At home, the shotty is set up as I described above. At home, it's a different mission than standing perimeter, making an entry, etc. At work, a shotgun in the rack would be set up for storage ready, but I wouldn't make an entry or be on a perimeter without a round in the chamber, and then it would be finger/thumb on the safety if at a ready.
    That makes sense.

User Tag List