Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not today Mr. ATF Man, not today

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    OH! So its trying to get around licensing for a suppressor. OK, thanks. I kind of feel stupid now...

Zinc - If it's any consolation, I had the same questions you did. "Cans" have always fascinated me.
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Hope they never catch me with my old plastic water bottle wedged in to catch solvent and patches.

"Drop the water bottle and slowly move away..."

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I highly doubt it’s an ATF operation. In the jurisdictions I’m familiar with, you’re going to need more than one-guy, one-gun cases to get a prosecutor interested. When there are jurisdictions where the prosecutor won’t accept a felon in possession case unless the suspect has at least two prior violent felony convictions on their record, I can’t see the ATF wasting their time with something like trying to sell people “solvent traps.” This one is most likely a spammer trying to get people to buy junk from this business.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    That’s an interesting article, LL.

I was aware of the “get a Form 1 and build your own suppressor” concept, but not that the ATF would be so obstructive to citizens getting the necessary parts.
    I presume the concern is that it would be too easy to just not bother with the Form 1, and it’s attendant cost and registration?
    I would acknowledge that there is that risk, but there’s also the risk that someone might use a Biden-endorsed double-barrel shotgun to commit a horrific murder today.
    Limiting access to “parts” (or pseudo-raw materials) because of their potential illegal use is starting to sound a lot like “PreCrime”.

The argument is that things like “dimples” in the parts of a product marketed as a “solvent trap” that show you where to drill are clearly indications of intent to manufacture a suppressor. There’s no reason to drill holes in a solvent trap because the holes would prevent the solvent trap from actually trapping any solvent. Since the law states the parts of a suppressor are legally a suppressor, the make-your-own-suppressor kits have always been on the ragged edge of the law. I don’t recommend buying any of this kind of stuff unless you already have a form 1 approved.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    That’s an interesting article, LL.

I was aware of the “get a Form 1 and build your own suppressor” concept, but not that the ATF would be so obstructive to citizens getting the necessary parts.
    I thought the DIY can business had shifted away from "buy kit, get form 1, then drill" to "get your form 1 approved first then actually buy the parts". I seem to recall back in the 1980s they cracked down on a dude in shotgun news selling adapters that would let you thread on plastic 2 liter bottles. For the people that don't make of hobby out of playing "I'm not touching you" with the ATF it's cheap insurance to get the form back first.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post

I thought the DIY can business had shifted away from "buy kit, get form 1, then drill" to "get your form 1 approved first then actually buy the parts".
    I've been under that impression also.

From the ATF standpoint, owning the parts needed to make a suppressor= actually owning a suppressor.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    I seem to recall back in the 1980s they cracked down on a dude in shotgun news selling adapters that would let you thread on plastic 2 liter bottles. For the people that don't make of hobby out of playing "I'm not touching you" with the ATF it's cheap insurance to get the form back first.
    Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. However I've often wondered how difficult it would be to make an adapter that would go from a barrel to something like an oil can.

A quick search says its a data center with private suites available.

Name:  ACCEC8DC-4F9C-43A9-A503-8C132B6F5D4E.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  20.6 KB
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

The trouble with 'solvent traps' is they are all predicated on having a threaded barrel and a lot of them have those pre-dimpled "spacers", which when drilled through seem to act like baffles. Combined it doesn't quite get you all the way towards intent to build a silencer when you have one in your possession, but is that really the argument you want to make to the feds?

Besides, in a world of ultrasonic cleaners, who the fuck needs a solvent trap?

User Tag List