Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alone Season 8

I just caught the first episode and gotta wonder who thinks relying on primitive fire making skills over taking a ferrous rod is a risk worth taking. Once the snow/moisture kicks in you’re gonna at a minimum spend tons of unnecessary energy using a bow drill.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    I just caught the first episode and gotta wonder who thinks relying on primitive fire making skills over taking a ferrous rod is a risk worth taking. Once the snow/moisture kicks in you’re gonna at a minimum spend tons of unnecessary energy using a bow drill.
    Same thought occurred to me. Take the damned ferro rod!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Same thought occurred to me. Take the damned ferro rod!
    Just don't lose it!

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Watching episode 1 tonight.

Roku history app has the episodes so far for free.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Just don't lose it!

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    That has happened on a couple of occasions.

I'm peripherally involved with the primitive skills and survival community, and this show is considered the real deal among those folks. There are varying degrees of bullshit in all the survival related shows. The worst is naked and afraid. I know one "contestant" on that piece of shit that has removed any reference to the show in their bio and essentially changes the subject real fast when anyone brings it up.

The show at times has devolved into a starving contest. We'll see how it goes this year.

I'm rooting for Clay Hayes, but the show always reaches a point where you respect all the remaining contestants and would be happy to see any of them win.

And yes. Relying on friction fire anywhere other than an extremely arid environment is stupid. It's a common experience at primitive skills and survival gatherings for some dude to insist on making a fire with a bow drill while everybody is cold and starving, until somebody gets tired of it and pulls out a BIC lighter.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    That has happened on a couple of occasions.

I'm peripherally involved with the primitive skills and survival community, and this show is considered the real deal among those folks. There are varying degrees of bullshit in all the survival related shows. The worst is naked and afraid. I know one "contestant" on that piece of shit that has removed any reference to the show in their bio and essentially changes the subject real fast when anyone brings it up.

The show at times has devolved into a starving contest. We'll see how it goes this year.

I'm rooting for Clay Hayes, but the show always reaches a point where you respect all the remaining contestants and would be happy to see any of them win.

And yes. Relying on friction fire anywhere other than an extremely arid environment is stupid. It's a common experience at primitive skills and survival gatherings for some dude to insist on making a fire with a bow drill while everybody is cold and starving, until somebody gets tired of it and pulls out a BIC lighter.
    A guy from the veteran's club where I went to college is a former SF guy who is now a primitive/wilderness instructor.

He seems to hold a few of the contestants from various seasons in high regard on his social media. We weren't friends or anything but knew each other. He had a natural gravitas. Anyone whom he respects has earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Relying on friction fire anywhere other than an extremely arid environment is stupid. It's a common experience at primitive skills and survival gatherings for some dude to insist on making a fire with a bow drill while everybody is cold and starving, until somebody gets tired of it and pulls out a BIC lighter.
    Quoted for Truth! (Both statements (even though I’ve never witnessed the bow drill vs. Bic thing - you know that happens!) )

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    A guy from the veteran's club where I went to college is a former SF guy who is now a primitive/wilderness instructor.

He seems to hold a few of the contestants from various seasons in high regard on his social media. We weren't friends or anything but knew each other. He had a natural gravitas. Anyone whom he respects has earned it.
    There are a tremendous number of parallels between the primitive skills and survival communities and the firearms trainings crowd. The best instructors tend to be fairly low-key individuals who have done the work, and are really, really good at fundamentals. The rest are driven largely by social media likes, are flamboyant personalities, and attract attention with "secret" or novel techniques, and extreme behavior.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    I'm enjoying the season so far, but it does seem the show is putting the contestants at some risk. I'm not necessarily opposed to that, but having someone get mauled by a Grizzly would not be good for the show (not to mention the person) -- so I'm a bit curious why they are risking it. They might actually be pushing it a bit far this time for the sake of keeping viewers intrigued.

But heck, I'll keep watching and loving it.

Enjoying the season so far.

Dont read unless you've seen the most recent episode.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
    The PF fan favorite archer dude took a deer. Every contestant who has taken large game has won. Looks good for him. I like the Biko dudes personality too... a bit different from me but seems really positive and funny.

User Tag List